[Davical-general] Anyone else having errors with 'timezone not recognised, used floating time'?

[Davical-general] Anyone else having errors with 'timezone not recognised, used floating time'?

Vincent Van Houtte
Hi,

TLTR: I'm having problems with all sorts of clients, so maybe there is
a problem with my DAViCal-server?

--
We have been using Davical since approx. 2008 - running Debian Stable
and have continually updated DAViCal on the server.

The clients are all using Evolution. At the time it was the only
trustworthy client out there, although The evolution-package in Debian
Etch suffered from a terrible memoryleak, causing us to kill and restart
evolution three to four times a day. With Debian Squeeze this was
solved.

Evolution 2.30.2 (Debian Squeeze) did not suffer the memory-leak, but
it crashed/crashes regularly while browsing the calendars. Quickly
switching between dates or months was a sure way to make it crash. It
was however very usable, so we didn't really care.

About a month ago, one of our desktops died and I have replaced it.
Since Debian Squeeze would require to much tinkering to support the
hardware, I decided to go for Debian Wheezy, now in deep freeze and
reported to be quite stable. Evolution (version 3.4.4) has a cleaner
interface, but it likes to crash in calendarview on that desktop.

So I decided to upgrade my office desktop from Squeeze to Wheezy and
while the upgrade went smoothly, Evolution on my desktop is quite
unusable: slow as hell, hanging, crashing the whole desktop, etc. I even
tried evolution 3.6 which is in Debian Experimental, and while it is
very quick to show dates and events, it is quirky in deciding which
calendars to display and which ones not (mostly my own calendar failed
to show).

I removed every package even remotely dependent on evolution and
switched to XFCE (although I like gnome 3 very much on my Archlinux
laptop).

Tried Thunderbird and lightning (from the Mozilla Debian repo, version
17), but it is unusably slow and tends to hang, even in mail-view (but I
guess the lightning-component is always working in the background).

So final option: using a web application. Recently there was the
CalDAVzap-announcement in here, and I also found AgenDAV. I tried
CalDAVzap, but didn't succeed (and I didn't have the time to tinker with
it, so I temporarily gave up). I tried AgenDAV and succeeded to install
the app, but no events are shown and DAViCal keeps filling the error-log
with
"[Sun Dec 16 12:16:15 2012] [error] [client **IP**] davical: ***:
ERROR:Could not recognize timezone "Etc/GMT-1" - will use floating time"

The reported timezone varies between "Etc/GMT-1", "Etc/GMT-2" and even
"Romance Standard Time".

On our smartphones, we have used aCal, but in general it is quite slow
and an early version has multiplied some of my recurring events a few
hundred times. It crashes quite frequently. CalDAVsync for Android has
proven to be more stable.
--

At this point, I'm hoping someone recognises my problem and is able to
give me the magic solution to make it all go away. Maybe there is a

On the server, the timezone in php.ini (both for apache2 and for CLI)
is set to 'Europe/Brussels'
On the clients, AFAIK (and I have installed them all myself), all
locales are set to 'nl_BE' and where asked, the timezone is set to
'Europe/Brussels'.

This is the contents of my DAViCal config:
--
<?php

$c->pg_connect[] = "dbname=davical user=davical_app";
// $c->pg_connect[] = "dbname=davical user=davical_app port=5433
host=somehost password=mypass";
$c->system_name = "Synergylaw Calendar";
$c->hide_TODO = false;
$c->readonly_webdav_collections = true;
$c->admin_email ="secret";
$c->default_relationships = array();
// $c->home_calendar_name = 'home';
$c->dbg = array();
$c->default_locale = "nl";
$c->local_tzid;
--

This is my virtualhost def - this is all c/p from the wiki and the ML:
--
<VirtualHost *:8443>
         ServerName      cal.DOMAIN

         ErrorLog        /var/log/apache2/davical.error_log
         TransferLog     /var/log/apache2/davical.access_log

         RewriteEngine   On
         RewriteLogLevel 0
         # Not if it's the root URL
         RewriteCond     %{REQUEST_URI} !^/$
         # Not if it is a .php program, script, stylesheet or image
         RewriteCond     %{REQUEST_URI} !\.(php|css|png|gif|js|jpg)
         RewriteRule     ^(.*)$ /caldav.php$1  [NC,L]
         RewriteRule     ^/principals/users(.*)$ /caldav.php$1  [NC,L]

         UseCanonicalName        on
         SSLEngine               on
         SSLCertificateFile      /etc/ssl/certs/ssl-cert-snakeoil.pem
         SSLCertificateKeyFile   /etc/ssl/private/ssl-cert-snakeoil.key
#       SSLProtocol             all -SSLv2
#       SSLCipherSuite
ALL:!NULL:!aNULL:!eNULL:!ADH:!EXPORT56:!LOW:!SSLv2:!EXP:+HIGH
         SSLHonorCipherOrder     on
         SSLProtocol             -all +SSLv3 +TLSv1
         SSLCipherSuite          SSLv3:+HIGH:+MEDIUM

         <FilesMatch "\.(cgi|shtml|phtml|php)$">
                 SSLOptions +StdEnvVars
         </FilesMatch>
         <Directory /usr/lib/cgi-bin>
                 SSLOptions +StdEnvVars
         </Directory>
         <Directory /usr/share/davical/htdocs>
                 SSLRequireSSL
                 SSLOptions +StrictRequire
                 Options FollowSymLinks
                 Order Deny,Allow
                 Allow from all
         </Directory>
         BrowserMatch "MSIE [1-5]" \
                 nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
                 downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0
         BrowserMatch "MSIE [6-99]" ssl-unclean-shutdown
</VirtualHost>
--

Enironment information:
--

Does somebody have a clue where I can begin to debug this? Or do you
guys also have similar experiences with the above mentioned clients?

THX (sorry for the lengthy post),
Vincent

Re: Anyone else having errors with 'timezone not recognised, used floating time'?

we use DAViCal a little bit longer than you, but we never noticed any major problems. Usually there are few issues every year related to Apple bugs in newly released OS X/iOS, but these are very quickly "fixed" in GIT (BIG THANKS to Andrew) by creating additional "workarounds for Apple clients" ...

When we started with DAViCal, we (~15 people) used Sunbird with our custom "sunbird configuration generator". Few years later we noticed that Sunbird has no real CalDAV support (only WebDAV is supported) => synchronisation is terribly slow and bandwidth consuming, so I created a patch for DAViCal ($c->hide_older_than option) and limited the number of events returned by the server to 3 months back (it solved our bandwidth problem with too many events).

Then Mozilla decided to stop Sunbird development, so we switched to Lightning. With Lightning I've got a ton of bug reports from my colleagues such as: "it is unusably slow", "I cannot send/receive e-mail during the calendar synchronisation" ...

This was the reason why I started the CalDavZAP project and after 3-4 months we switched to devel version of our client and nearly all problems was gone (even if our functionality this time was limited).

Now (~9 months later) CalDavZAP is out, and our company (~50 people) is very happy with it. Yes, after the release we've got ~10 bug reports and we are working on fixes, but after several months of CardDAV/CalDAV client development (CardDavMATE & CalDavZAP) I can definitively confirm that we have NO PROBLEMS with DAViCal.

Maybe you think that we use some "simple" setup, but our DAViCal uses:
LDAP ($c->authenticate_hook option)
Memcache ($c->memcache_servers option)

Our client setup:
CardDavMATE as desktop CardDAV client (used by the whole company - ~50 people)
CalDavZAP as desktop CalDAV client (whole company)
iPhone builtin Contacts & Calendar as phone clients (whole company)
iPad builtin Contacts & Calendar as tablet clients (only ~5 users who have iPad)

How we use our clients:
CardDAV - there is one shared resource with 5 addressbooks (all users have full or partial access to these addressbooks)
CalDAV - everybody has one calendar + there are 4 additional resources (each with 1-7 calendars) ... and the best is that ALL clients (CalDavZAP, iPhone, iPad) have (full or partial) access to ALL calendars

So if you asks anybody in our company questions like "who is where" or "who is working on which task" we can tell you this (from iPhone and also from CalDavZAP). We also share all (~1000) our customer contacts (iPhone + CardDavMATE).

We also have Asterisk (and many other software) integrated with DAViCal CardDAV/CalDAV and I have NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.

95% of CalDAV/CardDAV problems are related to client problems (Sunbird/Lightning and also Evolution are only WebDAV clients - terrible WebDAV clients). Another 4% of problems are related to users who want "1 click" server solution and don't understand that calendaring is a VERY COMPLICATED PROBLEM and there is no 100% clean specification for all possible situations/problems (these specifications are always evolving) => there is NO WAY to create 100% perfect client/server software.

I think that DAViCal is the BEST available open source solution for CardDAV/CalDAV (and I tested lot of them thanks to users who allowed me access to their servers - because they wanted CardDavMATE support for these).

JM

On Dec 16, 2012, at 12:59 PM, Vincent Van Houtte <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>         BrowserMatch "MSIE [1-5]" \
>                 nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
>                 downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0
>         BrowserMatch "MSIE [6-99]" ssl-unclean-shutdown
> </VirtualHost>
> --
>
> Enironment information:
> --
> We are using 3 calendars since 2008 with approx. 5 events per day.
> The server is a quad core Intel Xenon HP DL 3xx with 4GB ram with a lot
> of free cycles (it's only used as a fileserver, mailserver and
> calendarserver for three desktops)
> --
>
> Does somebody have a clue where I can begin to debug this? Or do you
> guys also have similar experiences with the above mentioned clients?
>
> THX (sorry for the lengthy post),
> Vincent

Re: Anyone else having errors with 'timezone not recognised, used floating time'?

Dear Jan,

Thank you for your email.

You convinced me that I absolutely need to make caldavZAP work in our
office. Thank you in advance for sharing your app - I'll keep you
updated!

Kind regards,
Vincent

On Sun, 16 Dec 2012 17:09:22 +0100, Ján Máté wrote:

> [...]
>>                 nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
>>                 downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0
>>         BrowserMatch "MSIE [6-99]" ssl-unclean-shutdown
>> </VirtualHost>
>> --
>>
>> Enironment information:
>> --
>> We are using 3 calendars since 2008 with approx. 5 events per day.
>> The server is a quad core Intel Xenon HP DL 3xx with 4GB ram with a
>> lot
>> of free cycles (it's only used as a fileserver, mailserver and
>> calendarserver for three desktops)
>> --
>>
>> Does somebody have a clue where I can begin to debug this? Or do you
>> guys also have similar experiences with the above mentioned clients?
>>
>> THX (sorry for the lengthy post),
>> Vincent

Re: Anyone else having errors with 'timezone not recognised, used floating time'?

jef peeraer

Jan,

i am also having the same problems with the combination TB + Lightning. I
installed CalDAVZap and it seems to work, but how can I define multiple
calendars for one user ? I suppose this must be something in the config.js
file.
Every user has his own calendar + a number of calendars accessable by
everyone.

thanks in advance.

jef

ps do you still use thunderbird as an email client ?

On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 15:38:13 +0100 (CET), jef.peeraer wrote:
> Jan,
>
> i am also having the same problems with the combination TB +
> Lightning. I installed CalDAVZap and it seems to work, but how can I
> define multiple calendars for one user ? I suppose this must be
> something in the config.js file. Every user has his own calendar + a
> number of calendars accessable by everyone.

You need a client that is able to bind those other calendars to your
account. It should be feasible with jqcaldav - you only need to do that
once and from that moment on, many clients will be able to find those
bound calendars automatically. I have not done this myself, so I cannot
comment on the actual procedure how to do this.

I have already requested this feature to be included in caldavZAP and
Jan has kindly responded it is on the list and will possibly be
integrated.

> ps do you still use thunderbird as an email client ?

Since TB is slow and hangs before I can disable the
lightning-extension, it is effectively unusable for me. I have installed
claws-mail and I like it a lot: fast and lots of features (albeit with a
spartan look)

Vincent

Re: Anyone else having errors with 'timezone not recognised, used floating time'?

Hi Jef,

it's a little bit more tricky than standard setup ...

You cannot use static config.js configuration, you need to use auth module ... here is how it works:

[login screen] -> username & password sent to auth module -> auth module verifies them -> then it creates DYNAMIC XML configuration and send it back to client (here is the magic) -> client reads the XML configuration

So first you need to use our default globalNetworkAccountSettings setting in config.js (and comment out the globalNetworkCheckSettings).
Then you need to modify the default auth/config.inc:

$config['auth_send_authenticate_header']=true; (SET IT BACK TO FALSE IF YOU SETUP WILL WORK)
also modify the
$config['accounts']['resources'][] array according to your settings (you need to modify ONLY the "http://www.server.com:80/caldav.php/" part of the href string)

then modify the auth/plugins/generic.conf (do NOT enter full principal URL here):

$pluginconfig['base_url']='<a href="https://yourserver.com:443';">https://yourserver.com:443';

Then open the caldavzap/auth directory in your browser and enter your username + password. If everything is OK, then valid configuration XML will be returned (exactly the same settings as in config.js but in XML format) ... then restart your browser (otherwise it will use the entered login & password for auth module) and login to CalDavZAP.

You will still see only one account in CalDavZAP, but now you know how to dynamically customise your configuration in auth module (see the example XML in auth/doc/ directory) ...

In my setup I added a few lines of PHP code to auth/config.inc - first it reads all principals from the davical database (connect to davical database; SELECT ... FROM ...; ...) and for each principal it adds account to $config['accounts']['resources'][] array ... then the resulting XML is something like:

<resources xmlns="urn:com.inf-it:configuration">
        <resource>
                <type>
                        <calendar />
                </type>
                <href>http://www.server.com:8080/caldav.php/user/</href>
                <hreflabel></hreflabel>
                <crossdomain>null</crossdomain>
                <forcereadonly>null</forcereadonly>
                <withcredentials>false</withcredentials>
                <showheader>true</showheader>
                <settingsaccount>true</settingsaccount>
                <userauth>
                        <username>user</username>
                        <password>password</password>
                </userauth>
                <forcereadonly>null</forcereadonly>
                <syncinterval>60000</syncinterval>
                <timeout>30000</timeout>
                <locktimeout>10000</locktimeout>
        </resource>
        <resource>
                <type>
                        <calendar />
                </type>
                <href>http://www.server.com:8080/caldav.php/user2/</href>
                <hreflabel></hreflabel>
                <crossdomain>null</crossdomain>
                <forcereadonly>null</forcereadonly>
                <withcredentials>false</withcredentials>
                <showheader>true</showheader>
                <settingsaccount>false</settingsaccount>
                <userauth>
                        <username>user</username>
                        <password>password</password>
                </userauth>
                <forcereadonly>true</forcereadonly>
                <syncinterval>60000</syncinterval>
                <timeout>30000</timeout>
                <locktimeout>10000</locktimeout>
        </resource>
        ... resource for user3 ...
        ... resource for user4 ...
</resources>

note: username and password is same for all accounts (username entered by the user in the login screen and stored in PHP variables)!

So all you need is to modify the auth/config.inc and you can generate any custom configuration according your needs (because in auth/config.inc you know who is logged in you can also generate different configuration for each user).

You can also "group" calendars if you generate XML configuration like this:

<resource>
        <hreflabel>Sales</hreflabel>
        <showheader>true</showheader>
</resource>
<resource>
        <hreflabel></hreflabel>
        <showheader>false</showheader>
</resource>
<resource>
        <hreflabel></hreflabel>
        <showheader>false</showheader>
</resource>
<resource>
        <hreflabel>Support</hreflabel>
        <showheader>true</showheader>
</resource>
<resource>
        <hreflabel></hreflabel>
        <showheader>false</showheader>
</resource>

Then you will see the "header" in the left panel only where you need it and the interface looks like:
Sales [header]
        User 1 calendar
        User 2 calendar
Support [header]
        User 4 calendar

JM

p.s.: yes, we still use Thunderbird as e-mail client (except few people who have Mac :-))
p.s.2.: I will create a mailing list for CardDavMATE & CalDavZAP in next few weeks ...

On Dec 17, 2012, at 3:38 PM, jef.peeraer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Jan,
>
> i am also having the same problems with the combination TB + Lightning. I installed CalDAVZap and it seems to work, but how can I define multiple calendars for one user ? I suppose this must be something in the config.js file. Every user has his own calendar + a number of calendars accessable by everyone.
>
> thanks in advance.
>

> jef
>

> ps do you still use thunderbird as an email client ?

Re: Anyone else having errors with 'timezone not recognised, used floating time'?

Christoph Steidl
hi,

--On Montag, Dezember 17, 2012 17:45:37 +0100 Vincent Van Houtte
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Dec 2012 15:38:13 +0100 (CET), jef.peeraer wrote:
>> Jan,
>>
> You need a client that is able to bind those other calendars to your
> account. It should be feasible with jqcaldav - you only need to do that
> once and from that moment on, many clients will be able to find those
> bound calendars automatically. I have not done this myself, so I cannot
> comment on the actual procedure how to do this.

you can do that using curl:

curl --basic --user 'user1' -X BIND \
-H 'Content-Type: text/xml; charset="UTF-8"' \
--insecure --url 'https://davical.example.com/caldav.php/user1/' \
-d '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> \

'--insecure' is for self-signed certs while using SSL/TLS.
'--url' is the url to the collections for the new bound colletion
'<segment>xyz</segemnt>' is the name of the collection in user1's account
'<href>xyz</href>' is the collection you want to bind to user1's collections

so this example creates a binding from:

https://davical.example.com/caldav.php/sourceprincipal/source-collection

to:

https://davical.example.com/caldav.php/user1/bindName

cheers,
chris

Re: Anyone else having errors with 'timezone not recognised, used floating time'?

Vincent Van Houtte
Hi,

Op Tue, 18 Dec 2012 09:45:04 +0100
Christoph Steidl <[hidden email]> schreef:

> you can do that using curl:
>
> curl --basic --user 'user1' -X BIND \
> -H 'Content-Type: text/xml; charset="UTF-8"' \
> --insecure --url 'https://davical.example.com/caldav.php/user1/' \
> -d '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> \
>
> '--insecure' is for self-signed certs while using SSL/TLS.
> '--url' is the url to the collections for the new bound colletion
> '<segment>xyz</segemnt>' is the name of the collection in user1's
> account '<href>xyz</href>' is the collection you want to bind to
> user1's collections

Thank you for the suggestion.

Is it possible that there is a mistake in the XML? I get the following
output after entering my password:
 Enter host password for user 'vincent':
 <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
 <error xmlns="DAV:">
  <invalid-xml/>
 </error>

Kind regards,

Met vriendelijke groet,
Vincent Van Houtte
Advocaat
Advocatenkantoor Suy, Van Baeveghem & Van Houtte
Brusselsestraat 108
9200 Dendermonde
T 052 520605
T 052 779005
F 052 520646
W http://synergylaw.be

Re: Anyone else having errors with 'timezone not recognised, used floating time'?

Vincent Van Houtte
Hi all,

> Christoph Steidl <[hidden email]> schreef:
>> you can do that using curl:
>>
>> curl --basic --user 'user1' -X BIND \
>> -H 'Content-Type: text/xml; charset="UTF-8"' \
>> --insecure --url 'https://davical.example.com/caldav.php/user1/' \
>> -d '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> \

This syntax worked for me:
curl --basic --insecure --user 'user1' -X BIND -H 'Content-Type:
text/xml;charset="UTF-8"' --url
'https://cal.example.net:8443/caldav.php/user1/' -d '<?xml version="1.0"
encoding="utf-8"?><bind

HTH somebody,