[Davical-general] Append fails with multiple .vcf files

[Davical-general] Append fails with multiple .vcf files

David Newman
Davical 1.1.2 installed from git with Jan Mate's 2012-11-01 fixes.

An addressbook with ~8000 entries won't upload in one go, so I've broken
into smaller pieces (A-C, D-F, etc.). These will load individually.

However, the "append" check box has no effect: The most recent file
clobbers the previous entries, with or without append checked.

This user has all privileges to this resource. Nothing obvious in the logs.

How to get append working?

thanks

dn

ps. I'd asked a similar question a few months back on this list. That
was one a different server with not enough memory, and some Postgres
settings I didn't understand. This is on a new server with more memory,
and the problem appears to affect appends with only a few hundred
entries each.

Re: Append fails with multiple .vcf files

Ján Máté-2
I also noticed this bug 2 says ago. Will try to fix (and update my patches) next week.

JM

On Apr 7, 2013, at 6:14 AM, David Newman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Davical 1.1.2 installed from git with Jan Mate's 2012-11-01 fixes.
>
> An addressbook with ~8000 entries won't upload in one go, so I've broken
> into smaller pieces (A-C, D-F, etc.). These will load individually.
>
> However, the "append" check box has no effect: The most recent file
> clobbers the previous entries, with or without append checked.
>
> This user has all privileges to this resource. Nothing obvious in the logs.
>
> How to get append working?
>
> thanks
>
> dn
>
> ps. I'd asked a similar question a few months back on this list. That
> was one a different server with not enough memory, and some Postgres
> settings I didn't understand. This is on a new server with more memory,
> and the problem appears to affect appends with only a few hundred
> entries each.

Re: Append fails with multiple .vcf files

mgia
Hi.
On 04/07/2013 06:14 AM, David Newman wrote:
> An addressbook with ~8000 entries won't upload in one go, so I've broken
> into smaller pieces (A-C, D-F, etc.). These will load individually.
>
> However, the "append" check box has no effect: The most recent file
> clobbers the previous entries, with or without append checked.
>
> How to get append working?

Have you tried ../scripts/load_calendar.php ?

-
mgia

Re: Append fails with multiple .vcf files

Christoph Steidl
hi,

--On Montag, April 08, 2013 17:16:00 +0200 mgia <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi.
> On 04/07/2013 06:14 AM, David Newman wrote:
>> An addressbook with ~8000 entries won't upload in one go, so I've broken
>> into smaller pieces (A-C, D-F, etc.). These will load individually.
>>
>> However, the "append" check box has no effect: The most recent file
>> clobbers the previous entries, with or without append checked.
>>
>> How to get append working?

the simplest way is to increase limits for that action and import it in one
step. you may set limits on command-line for only that action.

gruesse
chris

On Apr 8, 2013, at 23:18, Christoph Steidl <[hidden email]> wrote:

> hi,
>
> --On Montag, April 08, 2013 17:16:00 +0200 mgia <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>> On 04/07/2013 06:14 AM, David Newman wrote:
>>> An addressbook with ~8000 entries won't upload in one go, so I've broken
>>> into smaller pieces (A-C, D-F, etc.). These will load individually.
>>>
>>> However, the "append" check box has no effect: The most recent file
>>> clobbers the previous entries, with or without append checked.
>>>
>>> How to get append working?
>
> the simplest way is to increase limits for that action and import it in one
> step. you may set limits on command-line for only that action.

Thanks for this. Clueless n00b question: Can you give an example?

Not sure which dials to turn.

Thanks!

dn

On 4/8/13 8:16 AM, mgia wrote:

> Hi.
> On 04/07/2013 06:14 AM, David Newman wrote:
>> An addressbook with ~8000 entries won't upload in one go, so I've broken
>> into smaller pieces (A-C, D-F, etc.). These will load individually.
>>
>> However, the "append" check box has no effect: The most recent file
>> clobbers the previous entries, with or without append checked.
>>
>> How to get append working?
>
> Have you tried ../scripts/load_calendar.php ?

I have not, but thanks for the pointer.

It appears this script wants .ics calendar files, whereas I'm looking to
import a .vcf contacts file.

dn

> -
> mgia

Re: Append fails with multiple .vcf files

mgia
Hi David,
On 04/11/2013 05:26 AM, David Newman wrote:
> It appears this script wants .ics calendar files, whereas I'm looking to
> import a .vcf contacts file.

Just tested there is no problem with that, just change the calendar name
with name of the addressbook you would like to be appended.

Example: /usr/share/davical/scripts/load_calendar.php localhost append
/user/addresses/ user-addresses.vcf

-
mgia

On 4/17/13 6:08 AM, mgia wrote:

> Hi David,
> On 04/11/2013 05:26 AM, David Newman wrote:
>> It appears this script wants .ics calendar files, whereas I'm looking to
>> import a .vcf contacts file.
>
> Just tested there is no problem with that, just change the calendar name
> with name of the addressbook you would like to be appended.
>
> Example: /usr/share/davical/scripts/load_calendar.php localhost append
> /user/addresses/ user-addresses.vcf

Cool, thanks. I will try that once I have a "clean" set of vCards to import.

dn

Re: Append fails with multiple .vcf files

Johan Vromans
mgia <[hidden email]> writes:

> Example: /usr/share/davical/scripts/load_calendar.php localhost append
> /user/addresses/ user-addresses.vcf

It works like a charm, but I'm surprised that it doesn't seem to require
authentication to perform this action. If so, this is a severe security
leak.

-- Johan

On 04/18/2013 09:25 AM, Johan Vromans wrote:
> mgia writes:
>
>> Example: /usr/share/davical/scripts/load_calendar.php localhost append
>> /user/addresses/ user-addresses.vcf
>
> It works like a charm, but I'm surprised that it doesn't seem to require
> authentication to perform this action. If so, this is a severe security
> leak.
Since you have access to your Davical installation I'll not call this a
security leak.
However you can tighten up your "security" by placing passwords in
Davical's databases and tighten up the Davical's configuration file
permissions in a way that can be read only from the webserver.
Here is how: http://wiki.davical.org/w/Configuration/Database_Settings

-
mgia