[Davical-general] CalDAV problem with iOS 10.2? Cannot access new calendars from built-in iOS calendar etc.

[Davical-general] CalDAV problem with iOS 10.2? Cannot access new calendars from built-in iOS calendar etc.

jontheil
Hi list users,

I use both an iPhone and an iPad running iOS 10.2. At the same time, I use Thunderbird 45.6.0 with Lightning 4.7.6 on a Windows installation.
I used to be able to sync with CalDAV between all three of them.
Recently, I was only able to sync one-way from Lightning to iOS.
I removed my CalDAV account from my iPhone in order to try to fix the problem. But now I can only configure the CalDAV calendar from Settings-›Contacts-›Accounts, I cannot cannot access it from neither the built-in calendar app nor from Week Calendar.
I am not completely sure it happened after upgrading to iOS 10.2, but I guess so.
The CalDAV server is davical-r1.1.2 on a FreeBSD-10.2-Release.

Any solution is very much appreciated.

Regards,
Jon Theil Nielsen
--
Jon Theil Nielsen Ægirsgade 12, 2.th. 2200 København +45 22 27 07 20 (Fra ...)

Re: CalDAV problem with iOS 10.2? Cannot access new calendars from built-in iOS calendar etc.

Michael Grundmann
hi - why are you talking about sync? that is a caldav-SERVER. so, why sync?

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Am 09.01.2017 um 13:41 schrieb Jon Theil Nielsen <[hidden email]>:

[...]

Hi again,

You're completely right. But the calendars were not in sync after this. The events I added from iOS never reached the server, while events added through Lighting were reflected in the iOS calendars.

Regards,
Jon Theil Nielsen

man. 9. jan. 2017 kl. 23.54 skrev Michael Grundmann <[hidden email]>:
[...]

Vincent Van Houtte-2
The version of DAViCal you are using is several years old, and I remember that along the way some workarounds for bugs in Apple software have been implemented. It might be useful to test with a newer version.

Another tip: if you enable the debug logs, you would be able to provide this list with actual info on the reason why changes on the iOS devices are not recorded by the server.

HTH,
Vincent

Verzonden vanaf mijn Sony Xperia™-smartphone

---- Jon Theil Nielsen schreef ----

man. 9. jan. 2017 kl. <a href="tel:23.54">23.54 skrev Michael Grundmann <[hidden email]>:
hi - why are you talking about sync? that is a caldav-SERVER. so, why sync?

Am <a href="tel:09.01.2017">09.01.2017 um 13:41 schrieb Jon Theil Nielsen <[hidden email]>:

Hi list users,

I use both an iPhone and an iPad running iOS 10.2. At the same time, I use Thunderbird <a href="tel:45.6.0">45.6.0 with Lightning <a href="tel:4.7.6">4.7.6 on a Windows installation.
I used to be able to sync with CalDAV between all three of them.
Recently, I was only able to sync one-way from Lightning to iOS.
I removed my CalDAV account from my iPhone in order to try to fix the problem. But now I can only configure the CalDAV calendar from Settings-›Contacts-›Accounts, I cannot cannot access it from neither the built-in calendar app nor from Week Calendar.
I am not completely sure it happened after upgrading to iOS 10.2, but I guess so.
The CalDAV server is davical-r1.1.2 on a FreeBSD-10.2-Release.

Any solution is very much appreciated.

Regards,
Jon Theil Nielsen

Re: CalDAV problem with iOS 10.2? Cannot access new calendars from built-in iOS calendar etc.

jontheil
Hi again,

I know it's a pretty old version. But the port has no maintainer in the FreeBSD society.
The installation script scatters directories and files according to the FreeBSD file system hierarchy and I don't know to install the server from a source file.
When I'm back in front of my pc, I can try to capture the entries from the postgresql log file when I try to configure CalDAV access on my iPhone.

Regards,
Jon Theil Nielsen

man. 9. jan. 2017 kl. <a href="tel:23.54" class="gmail_msg" target="_blank">23.54 skrev Michael Grundmann <[hidden email]>:
hi - why are you talking about sync? that is a caldav-SERVER. so, why sync?

Am <a href="tel:09.01.2017" class="gmail_msg" target="_blank">09.01.2017 um 13:41 schrieb Jon Theil Nielsen <[hidden email]>:

Hi list users,

I use both an iPhone and an iPad running iOS 10.2. At the same time, I use Thunderbird <a href="tel:45.6.0" class="gmail_msg" target="_blank">45.6.0 with Lightning <a href="tel:4.7.6" class="gmail_msg" target="_blank">4.7.6 on a Windows installation.
I used to be able to sync with CalDAV between all three of them.
Recently, I was only able to sync one-way from Lightning to iOS.
I removed my CalDAV account from my iPhone in order to try to fix the problem. But now I can only configure the CalDAV calendar from Settings-›Contacts-›Accounts, I cannot cannot access it from neither the built-in calendar app nor from Week Calendar.
I am not completely sure it happened after upgrading to iOS 10.2, but I guess so.
The CalDAV server is davical-r1.1.2 on a FreeBSD-10.2-Release.

Any solution is very much appreciated.

Regards,
Jon Theil Nielsen

Training and support from Colfax.

Order your platform today. http://sdm.link/xeonphi_______________________________________________

Re: CalDAV problem with iOS 10.2? Cannot access new calendars from built-in iOS calendar etc.

jontheil
Hi again

Everything is updated.
Server OS: FreeBSD-11.0-RELEASE
Davical: 1.1.15
AWL: 0.57
iOS: 10.2.1 (both iPhone and iPad)

I don't know if the CalDAV functionality is differently implemented on iPhone and iPad. However, the davical server is fully functional on the iPad and doesn't work at all on the iPhone.

I have log files (apache, php and postgresql) from setting up new CalDAV calendars on both devices. I have enabled the recommended debug settings in davical.
I can show the apache logs for both devices - iPad: http://pastebin.com/1R35A4SZ, iPhone: http://pastebin.com/9sbQRrtu. For the iPhone, you can see the php log: http://pastebin.com/jW3fHYbP and the postgresql log: http://pastebin.com/UvJmLSjB. Since the iPad calendar is actually working the php and postgresql logs grow to megabytes in seconds.

If somebody can instruct me, I can provide interesting parts of the large log files.

I really hope this problem can be solved. I have room for my phone in the pocket, not for the iPad...

Best regards,

tir. 10. jan. 2017 kl. 15.14 skrev Jon Theil Nielsen <[hidden email]>:
[...]

Michael Rasmussen
On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 16:13:10 +0000
Jon Theil Nielsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If somebody can instruct me, I can provide interesting parts of the large
> log files.

It is not some kind of weird routing or firewall problem?
I mean, you have tested both devices using the same network?

--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen

Get my public GnuPG keys:
michael <at> rasmussen <dot> cc
mir <at> datanom <dot> net
mir <at> miras <dot> org
/usr/games/fortune -es says:
Forgetfulness, n.:
        A gift of God bestowed upon debtors in compensation for
        their destitution of conscience.

man. 20. feb. 2017 kl. 17.39 skrev Michael Rasmussen <[hidden email]>:
On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 16:13:10 +0000
Jon Theil Nielsen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> If somebody can instruct me, I can provide interesting parts of the large
> log files.

It is not some kind of weird routing or firewall problem?
I mean, you have tested both devices using the same network?

--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen

No, I don't think so. Most of the tests were done at home connected to the same wireless network which is connected to the same LAN as the server.

Hilsen/Best regards

--
Jon Theil Nielsen

Re: CalDAV problem with iOS 10.2? Cannot access new calendars from built-in iOS calendar etc.

Vincent Van Houtte-2
I have an issue with iOS clients in general being able to open the calendar, but not the contacts in DAViCal.

I have been looking quite some time ago into this problem, but it is not critical in my situation.

To this day, I'm looking in the direction of encryption ciphers. My server is rated A+ at Qualys SSL servertest, and it is possible that the iOS client (which is different on the iPad and the iPhone iirc) doesn't like these strong ciphers.

Maybe this helps?

Vincent

Verzonden vanaf mijn Sony Xperia™-smartphone

---- Jon Theil Nielsen schreef ----

On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 16:13:10 <a href="tel:+0000">+0000

man. 20. feb. 2017 kl. 18.33 skrev Vincent Van Houtte <[hidden email]>:
I have an issue with iOS clients in general being able to open the calendar, but not the contacts in DAViCal.

I have been looking quite some time ago into this problem, but it is not critical in my situation.

To this day, I'm looking in the direction of encryption ciphers. My server is rated A+ at Qualys SSL servertest, and it is possible that the iOS client (which is different on the iPad and the iPhone iirc) doesn't like these strong ciphers.

Maybe this helps?

Vincent

I am not proud to admitting this, but for the time being the web server uses HTTP (port 80) only. So it would rather be lack of ciphers... :-(

Best regards,
--
Jon Theil Nielsen

On 2017-02-20 18:49, Jon Theil Nielsen wrote:

man. 20. feb. 2017 kl. 18.33 skrev Vincent Van Houtte <[hidden email]>:
I have an issue with iOS clients in general being able to open the calendar, but not the contacts in DAViCal.

I have been looking quite some time ago into this problem, but it is not critical in my situation.

To this day, I'm looking in the direction of encryption ciphers. My server is rated A+ at Qualys SSL servertest, and it is possible that the iOS client (which is different on the iPad and the iPhone iirc) doesn't like these strong ciphers.

Maybe this helps?

Vincent

I am not proud to admitting this, but for the time being the web server uses HTTP (port 80) only. So it would rather be lack of ciphers... :-(

I still remember the "caldav_sync"-app for Android emitting a warning a few years back that the ciphers I used were out of date and therefore the client refused to sync with my server. Of course, I was using SSL whereas you are not using any SSL at all, which may be more secure than thinking you are secure because you have SSL enabled on your server.

Anyways - maybe for some reason iOS for iPhone requires SSL to be enabled. I have been unable to find any sources on iOS cipher requirements. With Let's Encrypt it's very easy to install a SSL certificate, so don't let that hold you back.

Kr,

Vincent

Vincent Van Houtte

man. 20. feb. 2017 kl. 19.06 skrev Vincent Van Houtte <[hidden email]>:

Anyways - maybe for some reason iOS for iPhone requires SSL to be enabled. I have been unable to find any sources on iOS cipher requirements. With Let's Encrypt it's very easy to install a SSL certificate, so don't let that hold you back.

Kr,

Vincent

Thanks for the suggestion. I might try this approach. I'm running davical from a name virtual domain on apache 2.4. I guess I could acquire certificates for just that subdomain to begin with.
Even though it seems easy, a will have to do some reading etc.

I just wonder if I'm the only person running a CalDAV server on port 80 and trying to get access from my iPhone.

Best regards,

--
Jon Theil Nielsen

man. 20. feb. 2017 kl. 20.19 skrev Jon Theil Nielsen <[hidden email]>:
man. 20. feb. 2017 kl. 19.06 skrev Vincent Van Houtte <[hidden email]>:

Anyways - maybe for some reason iOS for iPhone requires SSL to be enabled. I have been unable to find any sources on iOS cipher requirements. With Let's Encrypt it's very easy to install a SSL certificate, so don't let that hold you back.

Kr,

Vincent

Thanks for the suggestion. I might try this approach. I'm running davical from a name virtual domain on apache 2.4. I guess I could acquire certificates for just that subdomain to begin with.
Even though it seems easy, a will have to do some reading etc.

I just wonder if I'm the only person running a CalDAV server on port 80 and trying to get access from my iPhone.

Hello again,

As expected it took me a while to install the software and learn how to use it. Certainly, I can bring up the web interface using https:// instead of http://. And the addition of the CalDAV account is much faster (since it doesn't need to wait for port 443 to fail before trying port 80).
Unfortunately, the result is the exact same: The account is created in Settings->Calendars->Accounts but it is absent from the built-in calendar app.
I will happily provide all sort of log files but that has to wait until tomorrow.

Best regards,
--
Jon Theil Nielsen