[Davical-general] CardDAV and iOS 4.3 anyone?

[Davical-general] CardDAV and iOS 4.3 anyone?

Peter Siering

Re: CardDAV and iOS 4.3 anyone?

Daniel E. Sabath

On 31 Mar 2011, at 12:50 PM, Peter Siering wrote:

> is someone successfully using CardDAV on iPhone/iPad with iOS 4.3?

I am. I assume you're asking because you're not?

Dan

Re: CardDAV and iOS 4.3 anyone?

Peter Siering

Re: CardDAV and iOS 4.3 anyone?

Daniel E. Sabath

On 31 Mar 2011, at 1:28 PM, Peter Siering wrote:

> Am 31.03.2011 um 22:07 schrieb Daniel E. Sabath:
>

>> On 31 Mar 2011, at 12:50 PM, Peter Siering wrote:
>>
>>> is someone successfully using CardDAV on iPhone/iPad with iOS 4.3?
>>
>> I am. I assume you're asking because you're not?
>>

> yes. Great that it is working. I've tried different setups: with and without ssl. May you post your mod-rewrite-rules? I guess that's the point where I get stuck.
>
> I am using a virtual host. I get two error messages: "no SSL connection possible, try without?". The last access is going to /principals/ followed by "account validation has failed" and a 403.

I don't use SSL, so I can't help much there.

I was having problems until I found I had a webdav server running outside of the virtual host part of httpd.conf (I use Fedora for my web server). When I made my webdav server into a virtual host, everything worked. You should check your Apache configuration to see if you have anything similar.

Otherwise, the mod-rewrite stuff works as described on the davical website.

Dan

Re: CardDAV and iOS 4.3 anyone?

Jim Fenton
On 3/31/11 1:28 PM, Peter Siering wrote:

> Am 31.03.2011 um 22:07 schrieb Daniel E. Sabath:
>
>> On 31 Mar 2011, at 12:50 PM, Peter Siering wrote:
>>
>>> is someone successfully using CardDAV on iPhone/iPad with iOS 4.3?
>> I am. I assume you're asking because you're not?
>>
> yes. Great that it is working. I've tried different setups: with and without ssl. May you post your mod-rewrite-rules? I guess that's the point where I get stuck.
>
> I am using a virtual host. I get two error messages: "no SSL connection possible, try without?". The last access is going to /principals/ followed by "account validation has failed" and a 403.
I am using CardDAV with iOS 4.3, and use SSL as well.  Below are my
rewrite rules; I doubt that this is optimal, but it's working and I'm
reluctant to fiddle with it.   I do see a number of 401 errors that I
haven't chased down, but it seems to be working nevertheless.

-Jim

# URL rewriting to provide Apple-like URLs
   RewriteEngine On

# Not if it's the root URL.  You might want to comment this out if you
# want to use an explicit /index.php for getting to the admin pages.
   RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !^/$

# Not if it explicitly specifies a .php program, stylesheet or image
   RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !\.(php|css|js|png|gif|jpg)

# /principals/users/... gets rewritten to /caldav.php/...
   RewriteRule ^(/principals/users.*)$ /caldav.php$1  [NC,L]

Re: CardDAV and iOS 4.3 anyone?

Andrew McMillan
On Thu, 2011-03-31 at 14:52 -0700, Jim Fenton wrote:

> reluctant to fiddle with it.   I do see a number of 401 errors that I
> haven't chased down, but it seems to be working nevertheless.

Hi Jim,

You always will.

iPhone (and most other CalDAV clients) always attempt to connect without
authentication before they provide the authentication details.  The
iPhone does this perhaps a little more often than other clients, but
it's not a big deal and is perhaps reasonable when you consider that
blindly handing over your password non-interactively is probably wrong.

Of course a moment later it does hand over the password, in response to
an easily faked prompt, so there's very little incremental security
gained by such an approach, but making such arguments to paranoid
development staff is a losing proposition too :-)

Cheers,
                                        Andrew.

PS. Good to hear positive reports on iOS 4.3 - it seems the old iPhone
3G that TruHearing bought for me is EOL so I can no longer test against
newer iOS releases :-(

 Avoid the Gates of Hell.  Use Linux
                -- unknown source

Re: CardDAV and iOS 4.3 anyone?

Jeff
Hey Guys,
I'm running DAViCal 0.9.9.4-1 (on a ssl-VHost on port 8443) on my Ubuntu 11.04-Server and CardDAV (The only reason i upgraded to Ubuntu 11) just doesnt want work with my iPhone (iOS 4.0.2) and my iPad (iOS 4.3.3). When i configured the accounts on these devices everything seeded fine, no errors at all. Like that it also seemed on my MacBook (MacOS X 10.6.7).

But it just doesn't want to work. No Contacts are synced anywhere. On the iPad/iPhone there are no hints to a CardDAV-account in the AdressBook-app. On the MacBook i can create and edit contacts and groups but syncing doesn't seem to work (The spinner just keeps spinning).

On the Server the ReWrite-mod is working (or at least it seems to do so) with Jims config. In the apache logfiles are only a few GET-requests (to https://mydomain.ltd:8443/caldav.php/my_username/adressbook) but no hint where to start with debugging.

I hope you guys have a hint for me where to start debugging?!

Thanks
Jeff