[Davical-general] Connect to DAViCal from Mozilla Thunderbird/Lightning

[Davical-general] Connect to DAViCal from Mozilla Thunderbird/Lightning

Divakar R.
Could someone help me please:

I have DAViCal installed and running. I would like to connect to my calendar from Mozilla Thunderbird with Lightning add-on. I have the following questions:

1. To connect, do I select calendar type as (i) CalDAV, or (ii) ics
2. I have tried both above options; the second option seems to work better until I try to create an entry, after which the calendar is disabled and an error writing data is displayed.
3. This seems to be a problem with permissions. I have tried variations of the remote calendar such as http://myname:mypasswd@caldavserver/caldav.php/myname/calendar and

http://myname@caldavserver/caldav.php/myname/calendar, but have so far been unable to connect correctly.

Also, I have cerated an additional resource account on the server. How do I connect to this? What permissions should myname have on this calendar?

Thanks for any suggestions / help.

Regards,
Divakar

--
Dr. Divakar R.
Anupuram, TN 603127, INDIA.

Re: Connect to DAViCal from Mozilla Thunderbird/Lightning

Julien Moquet
Hi Divakar,

I got the same problem as you, but I work with an old lighting version.
As I read on many forums, that ligthning version seems to be buggy (or changed its way to request caldav servers).
And I've checked my davical server work with an other caldav client (agendav).

My advise is you to check the Lightning version.

Regards,
Julien.

[...]

Jim Seymour
On Mon, 24 Aug 2015 23:20:21 +0530
"Divakar R." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Could someone help me please:
>
> I have DAViCal installed and running. I would like to connect to my
> calendar from Mozilla Thunderbird with Lightning add-on. I have the
> following questions:
>
> 1. To connect, do I select calendar type as (i) CalDAV, or (ii) ics

CalDAV

> 2. I have tried both above options; the second option seems to work
> better until I try to create an entry, after which the calendar is
> disabled and an error writing data is displayed.

Probably because it's incorrect :)

> 3. This seems to be a problem with permissions. I have tried
> variations of the remote calendar such as
> http://myname:mypasswd@caldavserver/caldav.php/myname/calendar and
> http://myname@caldavserver/caldav.php/myname/calendar, but have so far
> been unable to connect correctly.

Lose the leading "myname[:@]" bit.  Assuming caldav.php is installed in
DocumentRoot or there's an alias to it:

    http://server.example.com/caldav.php/resource/calendar

    Where "resource" is a username or resource.

In our case the server upon which DAViCal lives is our mail server,
upon which only SquirrelMail originally lived, and I'd put
SquirrelMail in the docroot. So I put DAViCal in a "cal" directory
(aliased), so, in our case users enter:

    https://server.example.com/cal/caldav.php/resource/calendar

Side-note: I lately installed CalDAVZap InfoCloud.  URLs to that
ended-up being:

    https://server/example.com/cal/infcloud

You will note, btw, "https," as opposed to "http".  You don't really
want to be sending usernames and passwords in the clear, do you?

> Also, I have cerated an additional resource account on the server. How
> do I connect to this? What permissions should myname have on this
> calendar?

Whatever you want them to be.  We tend to set our user and
resource calendars to "world read".  For resource calendars I create
groups and assign the groups write, etc. permissions.  Easier to manage.

HTH,
Jim
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is

Re: Connect to DAViCal from Mozilla Thunderbird/Lightning

Divakar R.
Julien,

Thanks for your response. I am running Mozilla Thunderbird version 38.2.0 with Lightning 4.0.2 - as far as I can find out this seems to be the latest available for my Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit OS. A later version of TB is available for Windows, however, Lightning version remains the same. Is a later version available?

Regards,
Divakar

Julien Moquet wrote on Friday 11 September 2015 06:11 AM:
[...]

We got the same versions : 14.04.1-Ubuntu   Thunderbird 38.2.0    Lightning 4.0.2
Davical 1.1.3.1

Here is the working case :
1. adding an agenda
2. on the network
3. with a caldav type
4. and the url like http://127.0.0.1/caldav.php/test/51638fd9-237c-4981-bc34-c60842c0aec5/
5. then thunderbird will ask you about your user/password

When I was on my old thunderbird version, I set
$c->dbg["ALL"] = 1;
in /etc/davical/my.conf  to see what was wrong.
(and it was thunderbird changed the way to request caldav ...).

Hope I helped you.

Regards,
Julien.

[...]

markbann
I use Mozilla Thunderbird version 38.2.0 with Lightning 4.0.2 without a problem (64 bit Windows 7)
Use caldav
location: https://hostname.com/caldav.php/username/calendar/  << last backslash is required as I recall
Also make sure linked to the correct email.  Look at the calendar properties after created.

On 9/15/2015 10:36 AM, Divakar R. wrote:
[...]

in one place.

Mark Bannister
COO
American Precision Products * 520 Green Cove Road * Huntsville, AL 35803-3011
800.889.7674x107 * 256.882-2121x107 fax: 256.882-2414
Cell: 256.509.2052
[hidden email] http://www.injection-moldings.com
Custom Injection Molding - Contract Manufacturing

Re: Connect to DAViCal from Mozilla Thunderbird/Lightning

I have a computer with Ubuntu 14.04 (x64), M.Thunderbird 31.8.0 and
Lightning 3.3.8 connected to Debian's DAViCal 1.1.3.1
A phone with DAVdroid 0.8.3 synchronizing to the same calendar.

M.Lightning is using an URL like:
http://calendar.example.net:8008/caldav.php/user/calendar/

(port 8008 configured in server's website profile)

El 17/09/15 a les 00:34, mark bannister ha escrit:

> [...]
>> Get real-time metrics from all of your servers, apps and tools
>> in one place.
>> SourceForge users - Click here to start your Free Trial of Datadog now!
>> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=241902991&iu=/4140

> Mark Bannister
> COO
> *American Precision Products* * 520 Green Cove Road * Huntsville, AL
> 35803-3011
> 800.889.7674x107 * 256.882-2121x107 fax: 256.882-2414
> Cell: 256.509.2052
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> http://www.injection-moldings.com
> Custom Injection Molding - Contract Manufacturing

> Monitor Your Dynamic Infrastructure at Any Scale With Datadog!
> Get real-time metrics from all of your servers, apps and tools
> in one place.
> SourceForge users - Click here to start your Free Trial of Datadog now!

[Davical-general] ical events create their own calendar that can't be changed

tom wible
i've opened .ics events with seamonkey, but it only downloads them; i then go to
lightning>file>open, the events are created in their own calendar,
ical-event-nnnn, which cannot be changed:-P

so is this a feature of lightning or davical? xposted to lightning forum

Re: ical events create their own calendar that can't be changed

tom wible

> so is this a feature of lightning or davical? xposted to lightning forum
nevermind, after syncing, the events were copied to the correct calendar, so
davical fixes the lightning bug (not 2 b confused with firefly;-)

Re: Connect to DAViCal from Mozilla Thunderbird/Lightning

Divakar Ramachandran
Looking at all the responses it seems to me that the software versions of Lightning / Thunderbird etc are not to blame. I did a little more experimenting and have the following info:

With Mozilla Lightning URL as http://servername:port/caldav.php/divakar/calendar/, I created a new calendar with the CalDAV option; I get a prompt for login credentials which is entered correctly; a small yellow triangle next to the calendar name indicates a warning that the "The calendar <calendarName> is momentarily not available". Also creating an event results in a error message box with title "An error has occurred" with message box text "An error occurred when writing to the calendar <calendarName>!". Details shown says:
"Error code: MODIFICATION_FAILED

Server replied with 200".

How can I resolve this problem?

Regards,
Divakar

PS: This is on a test machine; I would use https in the final setup.

[hidden email]>:

[...]

[hidden email] [hidden email]
http://www.injection-moldings.com
Custom Injection Molding - Contract Manufacturing

in one place.

Dr. Divakar R.
Anupuram, TN 603127, INDIA.

Re: Connect to DAViCal from Mozilla Thunderbird/Lightning

Julien Moquet
I got the same configuration as you, but I don't know your davical version !
Indeed, i am working with the sources from gitlab, not from apt-get.
Eventhough apt-get and source version are not exactly the same davical (1.1.1 and 1.3.1), they both works with lightning.

May be you're davical is too old ? You can check it in setup page (login then Administration / Setup).

Regards,
Julien.

[hidden email]>:

[...]

Cell: <a href="tel:256.509.2052" value="+12565092052" target="_blank">256.509.2052
[hidden email] [hidden email]
http://www.injection-moldings.com
Custom Injection Molding - Contract Manufacturing

in one place.

Dr. Divakar R.
Anupuram, TN 603127, INDIA.

Re: Connect to DAViCal from Mozilla Thunderbird/Lightning

M.Lightning 3.3.8 with M.Thunderbird 31.8.0 (from Ubuntu 14.04
repositories) works fine for me to DAViCal 1.1.3.1 (from Debian 8
repositories).

El 19/09/15 a les 13:41, Divakar Ramachandran ha escrit:

> Looking at all the responses it seems to me that the software versions
> of Lightning / Thunderbird etc are not to blame. I did a little more
> experimenting and have the following info:
>
> With Mozilla Lightning URL as
> calendar with the CalDAV option; I get a prompt for login credentials
> which is entered correctly; a small yellow triangle next to the calendar
> name indicates a warning that the "The calendar <calendarName> is
> momentarily not available". Also creating an event results in a error
> message box with title "An error has occurred" with message box text "An
> error occurred when writing to the calendar <calendarName>!". Details
> shown says:
> "Error code: MODIFICATION_FAILED
>
> Server replied with 200".
>
> How can I resolve this problem?
>
> Regards,
> Divakar
>
> PS: This is on a test machine; I would use https in the final setup.
>

> Narcis Garcia wrote on Thursday 17 September 2015 12:33 PM:
>> I have a computer with Ubuntu 14.04 (x64), M.Thunderbird 31.8.0 and
>> Lightning 3.3.8 connected to Debian's DAViCal 1.1.3.1
>> A phone with DAVdroid 0.8.3 synchronizing to the same calendar.
>>
>> M.Lightning is using an URL like:
>> http://calendar.example.net:8008/caldav.php/user/calendar/
>>
>> (port 8008 configured in server's website profile)
>>

>> El 17/09/15 a les 00:34, mark bannister ha escrit:
>>> I use Mozilla Thunderbird version 38.2.0 with Lightning 4.0.2 without a
>>> problem (64 bit Windows 7)
>>> Use caldav
>>> location: https://hostname.com/caldav.php/username/calendar/  << last
>>> backslash is required as I recall
>>> Also make sure linked to the correct email.  Look at the calendar
>>> properties after created.

>>> --
>>>
>>> Mark Bannister
>>> COO
>>> *American Precision Products* * 520 Green Cove Road * Huntsville, AL
>>> 35803-3011
>>> 800.889.7674x107 * 256.882-2121x107 fax: 256.882-2414
>>> Cell: 256.509.2052
>>> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>> http://www.injection-moldings.com
>>> Custom Injection Molding - Contract Manufacturing

>>> Monitor Your Dynamic Infrastructure at Any Scale With Datadog!
>>> Get real-time metrics from all of your servers, apps and tools
>>> in one place.
>>> SourceForge users - Click here to start your Free Trial of Datadog now!
>>> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=241902991&iu=/4140

> *Dr. Divakar R.*
> _Anupuram, TN 603127, INDIA._

Re: Connect to DAViCal from Mozilla Thunderbird/Lightning

Cyril Giraud-2
It looks like an authentification problem.
Did you try to connect with this username and passsword to davical admin
page with a web browser ?
http://calendar.example.net:8008/
(+ Disconnect and type again username and password used with Lightning)

My old config:
- Davical 1.1.1 on Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS 32 bits in a VirtualBox VM.
- VirtualBox 4.3.26 + Thunderbird 38.2.0 + Lightning 4.0.2.1 on
UbuntuStudio 15.04 x64.

Cyril.

Le 19/09/2015 13:41, Divakar Ramachandran a écrit :

> Looking at all the responses it seems to me that the software versions
> of Lightning / Thunderbird etc are not to blame. I did a little more
> experimenting and have the following info:
>
> With Mozilla Lightning URL as
> calendar with the CalDAV option; I get a prompt for login credentials
> which is entered correctly; a small yellow triangle next to the calendar
> name indicates a warning that the "The calendar <calendarName> is
> momentarily not available". Also creating an event results in a error
> message box with title "An error has occurred" with message box text "An
> error occurred when writing to the calendar <calendarName>!". Details
> shown says:
> "Error code: MODIFICATION_FAILED
>
> Server replied with 200".
>
> How can I resolve this problem?
>
> Regards,
> Divakar
>
> PS: This is on a test machine; I would use https in the final setup.
>

> Narcis Garcia wrote on Thursday 17 September 2015 12:33 PM:
>> I have a computer with Ubuntu 14.04 (x64), M.Thunderbird 31.8.0 and
>> Lightning 3.3.8 connected to Debian's DAViCal 1.1.3.1
>> A phone with DAVdroid 0.8.3 synchronizing to the same calendar.
>>
>> M.Lightning is using an URL like:
>> http://calendar.example.net:8008/caldav.php/user/calendar/
>>
>> (port 8008 configured in server's website profile)
>>

>> El 17/09/15 a les 00:34, mark bannister ha escrit:
>>> I use Mozilla Thunderbird version 38.2.0 with Lightning 4.0.2 without a
>>> problem (64 bit Windows 7)
>>> Use caldav
>>> location:https://hostname.com/caldav.php/username/calendar/   << last
>>> backslash is required as I recall
>>> Also make sure linked to the correct email.  Look at the calendar
>>> properties after created.

>>> --
>>>
>>> Mark Bannister
>>> COO
>>> *American Precision Products* * 520 Green Cove Road * Huntsville, AL
>>> 35803-3011
>>> 800.889.7674x107 * 256.882-2121x107 fax: 256.882-2414
>>> Cell: 256.509.2052
>>> [hidden email]  <mailto:[hidden email]>
>>> http://www.injection-moldings.com
>>> Custom Injection Molding - Contract Manufacturing

>>> Monitor Your Dynamic Infrastructure at Any Scale With Datadog!
>>> Get real-time metrics from all of your servers, apps and tools
>>> in one place.
>>> SourceForge users - Click here to start your Free Trial of Datadog now!
>>> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=241902991&iu=/4140

> *Dr. Divakar R.*
> _Anupuram, TN 603127, INDIA._

Re: Connect to DAViCal from Mozilla Thunderbird/Lightning

Tested M.Lightning 4.0.2 in M.Thunderbird 38.2.0 with an URL like this
and works right:
http://calendar.example.net:8008/caldav.php/username/calendar/

(port 8008 open in server's Apache configuration)

El 22/09/15 a les 19:19, Divakar Ramachandran ha escrit: