[Davical-general] DAViCal 1.1.4 and AWL 0.56 released

[Davical-general] DAViCal 1.1.4 and AWL 0.56 released

Florian Schlichting-2
Dear DAViCal community,

15 months after the release of DAViCal 1.1.3 / 1.1.3.1, the DAViCal
development team is proud to announce the release of DAViCal 1.1.4
together with AWL 0.56. This is primarily an accumulated bugfixes
release, intended to get the best of DAViCal into your hands before we
add somewhat more experimental code around email invitations from the
handle_remote_attendees branch.

Release notes (http://davical.dhits.nl/index.php/Release_Notes/1.1.4):

Bug Fixes
=========
 *  Fix up Windows create-database.bat (#32)
 *  Import from external calendar (ics) defect (#38)
 *  Unable to delete event on windows phone 8.1, sends ETag=* (#46)
 *  Fix positive PROPPATCH response message body
 *  Do not create incorrect SQL in supported_locales.sql (#40)
 *  Imported address books will not sync via z-push (#39)
 *  Default "older" value for scripts/archive-old-events.php archives ALL events (#49)
 *  Plenty of ERRORS during "update-davical-database" (#43)
 *  favicon.ico passthrough security threat (#53)
 *  Document that YAML hates tabs (#70)
 *  Make "Toggle all privileges" button work on all forms
 *  405 error when adding a new contact from Apple's Contacts (#72)
 *  Handle recurring events started before 1900 (#58)
 *  Fix Thunderbird mutilating external attendees

Other Changes
=============
 *  Translation updates, and making more strings translateable
 *  Add $c->support_obsolete_free_busy_property
 *  Allow external BIND URL to be file:///

Database Upgrade
================
 * Database indexes are added in several places to improve performance on larger sites (#31)

Upgrades of Other Software
==========================
 * AWL 0.56 is required for DAViCal 1.1.4

Downloading DAViCal
===================
DAViCal 1.1.4: https://gitlab.com/davical-project/davical/tags/r1.1.4
AWL 0.56:      https://gitlab.com/davical-project/awl/tags/r0.56
Or see http://davical.dhits.nl/index.php/Downloading

Please report bugs on Gitlab: https://gitlab.com/groups/davical-project

The DAViCal development team is always looking for new contributors to
help developing and documenting, testing and translating DAViCal and
AWL. Our next IRC meeting is slated for 21 January, 19:00 UTC at
#davical on the OFTC network. See you there?

Florian

Re: DAViCal 1.1.4 and AWL 0.56 released

Johan Vromans
On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 17:07:14 +0100
Florian Schlichting <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear DAViCal community,
>
> 15 months after the release of DAViCal 1.1.3 / 1.1.3.1, the DAViCal
> development team is proud to announce the release of DAViCal 1.1.4
> together with AWL 0.56.

Let me be the first (really?) to congratulate you all and thanks for the
hard work!

-- Johan
   http://johan.vromans.org/seasons_greetings.html

Re: DAViCal 1.1.4 and AWL 0.56 released

Vincent Van Houtte
Johan Vromans schreef op 2016-01-13 12:08:

> On Tue, 12 Jan 2016 17:07:14 +0100
> Florian Schlichting <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Dear DAViCal community,
>>
>> 15 months after the release of DAViCal 1.1.3 / 1.1.3.1, the DAViCal
>> development team is proud to announce the release of DAViCal 1.1.4
>> together with AWL 0.56.
>
> Let me be the first (really?) to congratulate you all and thanks for
> the
> hard work!

Johan, you are right: the dev team deserve congratulations for picking
up development and move a stalled piece of software that is still in use
by a lot of people forward.

Florian and team: good job! I will be testing when my exam period is
over and hope to be able to really contribute in the near future.

Kr,
Vincent
--
Vincent Van Houtte
Advocaat

Re: DAViCal 1.1.4 and AWL 0.56 released

Johan Vromans
On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 13:19:39 +0100
Vincent Van Houtte <[hidden email]> wrote:

> ... move a stalled piece of software that is still in use
> by a lot of people forward.

You make it sound like DAViCal is an 'end of life' product. In my opinion,
DAViCal is unique in its kind, and fulfills a increasingly important role in
this world dominated by privacy-hungry giants.

I wrote:

> this world dominated by privacy-hungry giants.

Oops, this should have been "dominated by privacy-threatening data-hungry
giants."

-- Johan
   http://johan.vromans.org/seasons_greetings.html

Re: DAViCal 1.1.4 and AWL 0.56 released

pcouderc
+1

On 01/13/2016 03:26 PM, Johan Vromans wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 13:19:39 +0100
> Vincent Van Houtte <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> ... move a stalled piece of software that is still in use
>> by a lot of people forward.
> You make it sound like DAViCal is an 'end of life' product. In my opinion,
> DAViCal is unique in its kind, and fulfills a increasingly important role in
> this world dominated by privacy-hungry giants.
>
> -- Johan
>     http://johan.vromans.org/seasons_greetings.html

Re: DAViCal 1.1.4 and AWL 0.56 released

skotthof

thanks Davical-Team, for the new version!

Jeh, of course Davical is still unique. But it might be, that some day there will be
working alternatives. If all the other projects (owncload, horde, baikal, ...)
will use the sabre-dav framework (http://sabre.io/) in a serious way.

Sabre-dav seems to be very powerful for me. (did a quick check on the website)
But I think, the use of postgres functions in davical is a good point for
fast performance and without concurrence.

Sebastian

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 03:26:31PM +0100, Johan Vromans wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 13:19:39 +0100
> Vincent Van Houtte <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > ... move a stalled piece of software that is still in use
> > by a lot of people forward.
>
> You make it sound like DAViCal is an 'end of life' product. In my opinion,
> DAViCal is unique in its kind, and fulfills a increasingly important role in
> this world dominated by privacy-hungry giants.
>
> -- Johan
>    http://johan.vromans.org/seasons_greetings.html

Sebastian Kotthoff
Rechenzentrum
Universität Mannheim
B6, 23-29; Building B; Room 1.10
68159 Mannheim

Tel: +49 621 181 2516
Fax: +49 621 181 2682

Johan Vromans schreef op 2016-01-13 15:26:

> On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 13:19:39 +0100
> Vincent Van Houtte <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> ... move a stalled piece of software that is still in use
>> by a lot of people forward.
>
> You make it sound like DAViCal is an 'end of life' product. In my
> opinion,
> DAViCal is unique in its kind, and fulfills a increasingly important
> role in
> this world dominated by privacy-hungry giants.

If I made it sound like that, it was not intentionally. But you know as
well as I do that without the Apple/iOS patches in 1.1.3(.1), this
application (admittedly, this word would have been better suited than
'piece of software') would become obsolete quite easily, given the
marketshare of Apple devices and thus marketdemand to be compatible with
Apple's software.

Anyway, the focus of the above sentence was on 'move forward' and the
applause the current development team deserves. Let's steer the current
thread back into that direction :)

Vincent

On 01/13/2016 05:49 PM, Vincent Van Houtte wrote:

> Johan Vromans schreef op 2016-01-13 15:26:
>> On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 13:19:39 +0100
>> Vincent Van Houtte <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> ... move a stalled piece of software that is still in use
>>> by a lot of people forward.
>> You make it sound like DAViCal is an 'end of life' product. In my
>> opinion,
>> DAViCal is unique in its kind, and fulfills a increasingly important
>> role in
>> this world dominated by privacy-hungry giants.
> If I made it sound like that, it was not intentionally. But you know as
> well as I do that without the Apple/iOS patches in 1.1.3(.1), this
> application (admittedly, this word would have been better suited than
> 'piece of software') would become obsolete quite easily, given the
> marketshare of Apple devices and thus marketdemand to be compatible with
> Apple's software.
Mmm, I do no know Apple software and Apple products..
But the main interest of Davical seems to me for synchonising Androïd
and WEB browser...

Re: DAViCal 1.1.4 and AWL 0.56 released

Johan Vromans
On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 17:49:38 +0100
Vincent Van Houtte <[hidden email]> wrote:

> But you know as
> well as I do that without the Apple/iOS patches in 1.1.3(.1), this
> application would become obsolete quite easily, given the
> marketshare of Apple devices and thus marketdemand to be compatible with
> Apple's software.

I fail to see the connection.

I do not know of any other (open source) application that I can run on my
private servers to share and synchronize agenda and contact information.
Apple may demand the standard, DAViCal implements it.

-- Johan

Re: DAViCal 1.1.4 and AWL 0.56 released

Mihai Christodorescu

Apple's Calendar and Contacts server is open source (Apache license):
http://calendarserver.org/

DAViCal is the only community-developed server, not owned by a vendor.

Mihai

On 1/14/16 8:20 AM, Johan Vromans wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 17:49:38 +0100
> Vincent Van Houtte <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> But you know as
>> well as I do that without the Apple/iOS patches in 1.1.3(.1), this
>> application would become obsolete quite easily, given the
>> marketshare of Apple devices and thus marketdemand to be compatible with
>> Apple's software.
>
> I fail to see the connection.
>
> I do not know of any other (open source) application that I can run on my
> private servers to share and synchronize agenda and contact information.
> Apple may demand the standard, DAViCal implements it.
>
> -- Johan

  The man of knowledge must be able not only to love
 his enemies but also to hate his friends.
                                 - Friedrich Nietzsche

Johan Vromans schreef op 2016-01-14 17:20:

> On Wed, 13 Jan 2016 17:49:38 +0100
> Vincent Van Houtte <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> But you know as
>> well as I do that without the Apple/iOS patches in 1.1.3(.1), this
>> application would become obsolete quite easily, given the
>> marketshare of Apple devices and thus marketdemand to be compatible
>> with
>> Apple's software.
>
> I fail to see the connection.
>
> I do not know of any other (open source) application that I can run on
> my
> private servers to share and synchronize agenda and contact
> information.
> Apple may demand the standard, DAViCal implements it.

http://caldav.calconnect.org/implementations/servers.html

Kr,
Vincent
--
Vincent Van Houtte
Advocaat
Advocatenkantoor Suy, Van Baeveghem & Van Houtte
Brusselsestraat 108
9200 Dendermonde
T 052 52 06 05
T 052 77 90 05
F 052 52 06 46
W http://synergylaw.be

Re: DAViCal 1.1.4 and AWL 0.56 released

Johan Vromans
Mihai and Vincent,

I stand corrected...

-- Johan

[Davical-general] DAViCal and Apple (was: Re: DAViCal 1.1.4 and AWL 0.56 released)

David Newman
On 1/13/16 8:49 AM, Vincent Van Houtte wrote:

> If I made it sound like that, it was not intentionally. But you know as
> well as I do that without the Apple/iOS patches in 1.1.3(.1), this
> application (admittedly, this word would have been better suited than
> 'piece of software') would become obsolete quite easily

I could use some clarification on DAViCal and OS X/iOS issues.

I'm currently on 1.1.2 with some patches (details below). It mostly
works OK with OS X and iOS devices, with two exceptions:

- After a reminder is marked completed on OS X, iOS devices do not
update task state. The reminder continues to appear as uncompleted on
lock screens and in the Reminders app.

- On OS X, Calendar.app allows new events to be created, but does not
send invitations to invitees. Perhaps this is due to the use of
Thunderbird rather than Mail.app as the OS X mail client, and is
unrelated to DAViCal; I'm not sure. With the Lightning extension to
Thunderbird, invitations go out as expected.

My DAViCal system runs 1.1.2 from FreeBSD ports on FreeBSD 10.2 with Ján
Máte's 20130514 patches and the handle_remote_attendees GitHub branch to
deal with OS X El Capitan.

I also just built a Debian 8.2 (jessie) system with DAViCal 1.1.3.1-1
from packages, but see the same two issues described above.

The OS X and iOS devices run current code (10.11.2 and 9.2 respectively).

Thanks in advance for clues on resolving these issues. DAViCal works
really well, except for these remaining nits.

dn

Re: DAViCal 1.1.4 and AWL 0.56 released

Graf von Roit zu Hoya
Hello,

nice to hear about a new version of DAViCal. Month ago i switched to Baikal as DAViCal has some issues with contacts and iOS 9. Now tried the new version from github and unfortunately found the old bug still exists in the 1.1.4:

Setting contact photos from iOS 9.(2-3) still don't work. After assigning a picture to a contact on an iOS device, the picture immediately
disappears and isn't stored in DAViCal. Interestingly enough applying/changing a picture to/of a contact via the OSX 10.11 Contact.app works!

How may I support in solving this issue?

Best regards,

Rudolf Graf von Roit zu Hoya
E-Mail: [hidden email]

Am 12.01.16 um 17:07 schrieb Florian Schlichting:
[...]

lejeczek
On 12/01/16 16:07, Florian Schlichting wrote:

> Dear DAViCal community,
>
> 15 months after the release of DAViCal 1.1.3 / 1.1.3.1, the DAViCal
> development team is proud to announce the release of DAViCal 1.1.4
> together with AWL 0.56. This is primarily an accumulated bugfixes
> release, intended to get the best of DAViCal into your hands before we
> add somewhat more experimental code around email invitations from the
> handle_remote_attendees branch.
>
> Release notes (http://davical.dhits.nl/index.php/Release_Notes/1.1.4):
urls http://davical.dhits.nl/ and down are not accessible,
is it only me?

many, many! thanks for all your works people, I've been on
it for ~3 years now, I even donated back then when I used it
first time :)

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 10:44:36AM +0000, lejeczek wrote:
> On 12/01/16 16:07, Florian Schlichting wrote:
> >
> >Release notes (http://davical.dhits.nl/index.php/Release_Notes/1.1.4):
> urls http://davical.dhits.nl/ and down are not accessible, is it only me?

same here, the entire dhits.nl domain is inactive, not sure who needs to
be prodded to fix that?

The server itself is up and running though, so
http://wiki.davical.org/index.php/Release_Notes/1.1.4 gives you content
(but no stylesheets).

We should fix the setup to default to the davical.org domain, methinks!

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 07:33:06PM +0100, Graf von Roit zu Hoya wrote:
> Setting contact photos from iOS 9.(2-3) still don't work. After assigning a
> picture to a contact on an iOS device, the picture immediately disappears
> and isn't stored in DAViCal. Interestingly enough applying/changing a
> picture to/of a contact via the OSX 10.11 Contact.app works!
>
> How may I support in solving this issue?

please report a bug on our gitlab tracker
(https://gitlab.com/davical-project/davical/issues) and attach the full
($c->dbg["ALL"] = 1;) debug logs of a) iOS failing and b) OSX succeeding
to add the picture.

BTW this is true for all issues not yet documented there. Without
detailed logging, it's next to impossible to know what happens and where
things go wrong.

Florian

Re: DAViCal 1.1.4 and AWL 0.56 released

Graf von Roit zu Hoya
Hello Florian,

debug file and issue are submitted by gitlab tracker.

Let me know if i can assist.

Many thanks and best regards,
Rudolf

Rudolf Graf von Roit zu Hoya
E-Mail: [hidden email]

Am 19.01.16 um 23:00 schrieb Florian Schlichting:
Hi,

On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 07:33:06PM +0100, Graf von Roit zu Hoya wrote:
Setting contact photos from iOS 9.(2-3) still don't work. After assigning a
picture to a contact on an iOS device, the picture immediately disappears
and isn't stored in DAViCal. Interestingly enough applying/changing a
picture to/of a contact via the OSX 10.11 Contact.app works!

How may I support in solving this issue?
please report a bug on our gitlab tracker
(https://gitlab.com/davical-project/davical/issues) and attach the full
($c->dbg["ALL"] = 1;) debug logs of a) iOS failing and b) OSX succeeding
to add the picture.

BTW this is true for all issues not yet documented there. Without
detailed logging, it's next to impossible to know what happens and where
things go wrong.

Florian

Re: DAViCal 1.1.4 and AWL 0.56 released

Jim Fenton
It's working for me now; must have been a temporary outage.

It would be nice to fix the name aliasing to wiki.davical.org, but we'll
still be dependent on dhits.nl because that's where it's hosted for us.
Let's discuss in the support meeting tomorrow.

-Jim