[Davical-general] Davical status

12

[Davical-general] Davical status

Gary Witscher
Hi,

I've been using Davical for many years now, but I haven't been keeping
up on new development since Andrew stopped working on it. From
browsing this list I see there is lots of activity. Has someone taken
over development of Davical? Are there people forking Davical? I see
that debian has ver 1.1.1 in there archives, are development advances
being pushed to the various distros? If not, where can I download the
latest code?

TIA

Re: Davical status

David Newman

Re: Davical status

mu3pheih
Hi list,

There are lot of discussion thread about the current and future status
of Davical development and community.

It seems that Andrew is not available for quite long time and sadly he
cannot contribute (correct me if I'm wrong) to Davical project.
It's a pity that such a great project left unattended.

I read on the mailing that there are some people interested in
contributing and improving Davical.
What about creating/reassembling a community to re-structure and update
Davical?

We can start by organizing an weekly or bi-weekly IRC meeting and also
by using the mailing for orchestrating specific tasks.
Starting with the wiki, code repositories and Davical website?

What do you think?

-m

Re: Davical status

Andrew McMillan did explain on 2012-10-23 the situation to come since
second half 2013.

I'm interested in DAViCal project, and maybe I can contribute with some
small help. To have more productive meetings, I propose to use a Gobby
channel to write clear conclusions for each point.

Meeting for 2014-02-18 at 17:00 UTC ?

El 05/02/14 19:53, [hidden email] ha escrit:

> Hi list,
>
> There are lot of discussion thread about the current and future status
> of Davical development and community.
>
> It seems that Andrew is not available for quite long time and sadly he
> cannot contribute (correct me if I'm wrong) to Davical project.
> It's a pity that such a great project left unattended.
>
> I read on the mailing that there are some people interested in
> contributing and improving Davical.
> What about creating/reassembling a community to re-structure and update
> Davical?
>
> We can start by organizing an weekly or bi-weekly IRC meeting and also
> by using the mailing for orchestrating specific tasks.
> Starting with the wiki, code repositories and Davical website?
>
> What do you think?
>
> -m

Re: Davical status

Bob Miller
Hello,

I am not a programmer, but it is often said one does not need to be in
order to contribute.  And I do have other resources and skills that
might be of use...

> Meeting for 2014-02-18 at 17:00 UTC ?

This can work for me...

--
Computerisms
Bob Miller

Re: Davical status

Andrew Ruthven
On Wed, 2014-02-05 at 23:47 +0100, Narcis Garcia wrote:

> Meeting for 2014-02-18 at 17:00 UTC ?

I'm certainly interested in assisting, but unfortunately that is 6 am in
Wellington. Andrew M live nearby, so that may also prevent him from
attending if he's available.

Cheers!

--
Andrew Ruthven
Wellington, New Zealand
                           | Come swan on the Swan River
                           |    http://linux.conf.au

Re: Davical status

The best strategy is to reveal each availability calendar:

My times (all in --utc):

2014-02-18 from 09:00 to 19:00
2014-02-19 from 15:00 to 19:00
2014-02-20 from 09:00 to 19:00

El 06/02/14 10:33, Andrew Ruthven ha escrit:

> On Wed, 2014-02-05 at 23:47 +0100, Narcis Garcia wrote:
>
>> Meeting for 2014-02-18 at 17:00 UTC ?
>
> I'm certainly interested in assisting, but unfortunately that is 6 am in
> Wellington. Andrew M live nearby, so that may also prevent him from
> attending if he's available.
>
> Cheers!

> Read the Whitepaper.
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=121051231&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Re: Davical status

David Madden
On 2/6/14, 6:29 AM, Narcis Garcia wrote:
> The best strategy is to reveal each availability calendar:
>
> My times (all in --utc):
>
> 2014-02-18 from 09:00 to 19:00
> 2014-02-19 from 15:00 to 19:00
> 2014-02-20 from 09:00 to 19:00

FWIW, 15:00-19:00 UTC -> 07:00-11:00 on U.S. west coast (Los Angeles).
I would attend, although I haven't been a contributor in the past.
(I've used DAViCal for calendaring my law practice for ~5 years, and I
can program in C, C++, SQL and JS [among others].  I'd be interested in
using MySQL instead of PostgreSQL because I have several other systems
that use MySQL -- it'd be easier administration for me.)

Mersenne Law LLC  ·  www.mersenne.com  ·  +1-503-679-1671
- Small Business, Startup and Intellectual Property Law -
9600 S.W. Oak Street · Suite 500 · Tigard, Oregon  97223

Re: Davical status

mu3pheih
Hi Narcis, everyone

On 02/05/14 23:47, Narcis Garcia wrote:
> Meeting for 2014-02-18 at 17:00 UTC ?

This is a good time/date for me.

In general since (almost) everyone lives in a different timezone we
could also start organizing things on the mailing list as well.

Starting with priorities, let's way wiki, website, code repos.

The question then arises shall we start by mirroring the website, wiki,
etc.. to a different or can we provided access to Davical current
infrastructure?

-m

Re: Davical status

[all utc]

"M"
2014-02-18 from 17:00 to 19:00
...and more?

DAVID MADDEN
2014-02-18 from 15:00 to 19:00
2014-02-19 from 15:00 to 19:00
2014-02-20 from 15:00 to 19:00

NARCIS GARCIA
2014-02-18 from 09:00 to 19:00
2014-02-19 from 15:00 to 19:00
2014-02-20 from 09:00 to 19:00

BOB MILLER
2014-02-18 from 17:00 to 19:00
...and more?

El 06/02/14 16:20, David Madden ha escrit:

> On 2/6/14, 6:29 AM, Narcis Garcia wrote:
>> The best strategy is to reveal each availability calendar:
>>
>> My times (all in --utc):
>>
>> 2014-02-18 from 09:00 to 19:00
>> 2014-02-19 from 15:00 to 19:00
>> 2014-02-20 from 09:00 to 19:00
>
> FWIW, 15:00-19:00 UTC -> 07:00-11:00 on U.S. west coast (Los Angeles).
> I would attend, although I haven't been a contributor in the past.
> (I've used DAViCal for calendaring my law practice for ~5 years, and I
> can program in C, C++, SQL and JS [among others].  I'd be interested in
> using MySQL instead of PostgreSQL because I have several other systems
> that use MySQL -- it'd be easier administration for me.)
>
> Regards,

> Read the Whitepaper.
> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=121051231&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Re: Davical status

Bob Miller
Hello,

> "M"
> 2014-02-18 from 17:00 to 19:00
> ...and more?
>
> DAVID MADDEN
> 2014-02-18 from 15:00 to 19:00
> 2014-02-19 from 15:00 to 19:00
> 2014-02-20 from 15:00 to 19:00
>
> NARCIS GARCIA
> 2014-02-18 from 09:00 to 19:00
> 2014-02-19 from 15:00 to 19:00
> 2014-02-20 from 09:00 to 19:00
>
> BOB MILLER
> 2014-02-18 from 17:00 to 19:00
> ...and more?

I live -8:00GMT - West coast north america.  Barring a customer having
an emergency, I should be able to make any time between 17:00-4:00 UTC
on any weekday work...

> El 06/02/14 16:20, David Madden ha escrit:
> > On 2/6/14, 6:29 AM, Narcis Garcia wrote:
> >> The best strategy is to reveal each availability calendar:
> >>
> >> My times (all in --utc):
> >>
> >> 2014-02-18 from 09:00 to 19:00
> >> 2014-02-19 from 15:00 to 19:00
> >> 2014-02-20 from 09:00 to 19:00
> >
> > FWIW, 15:00-19:00 UTC -> 07:00-11:00 on U.S. west coast (Los Angeles).
> > I would attend, although I haven't been a contributor in the past.
> > (I've used DAViCal for calendaring my law practice for ~5 years, and I
> > can program in C, C++, SQL and JS [among others].  I'd be interested in
> > using MySQL instead of PostgreSQL because I have several other systems
> > that use MySQL -- it'd be easier administration for me.)
> >
> > Regards,

> > Managing the Performance of Cloud-Based Applications
> > Take advantage of what the Cloud has to offer - Avoid Common Pitfalls.
> > Read the Whitepaper.
> > http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=121051231&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Re: Davical status

Sven Anders-2
Am 05.02.2014 23:47, schrieb Narcis Garcia:
> Andrew McMillan did explain on 2012-10-23 the situation to come since
> second half 2013.
>
> I'm interested in DAViCal project, and maybe I can contribute with some
> small help. To have more productive meetings, I propose to use a Gobby
> channel to write clear conclusions for each point.

Hello!

Because the current version (with patches) seems to work, the main problem
- I currently see - is, that there are no official releases for some time.
Distribution like Debian, Ubuntu still offer the old (unpatched) code and
this would prevent new users to use it.

It would be a great step forward, if somebody could setup a new (code) repository
and new Debian repository. Maybe somebody can get access to the code repository
from Andrew or take over the maintainance?

To it seems, that Ján Máté has a good insight to the code and wrote several
patches. Maybe he is willing to take over as (a) maintainer?

The further development (with new functions/features) could be done in
a fork/second repository and merged, if these new things are stable enough...

If the Debian/Ubuntu would be up-to-date, it would be a great step forward!

Just my 2¢...

Regards
 Sven Anders

--
 Sven Anders <[hidden email]>                 () UTF-8 Ribbon Campaign
                                                 /\ Support plain text e-mail

  - Benjamin Franklin

anders.vcf (484 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Davical status

JAN MATE
2014-02-XX - any time :-)

JM

On 06 Feb 2014, at 22:45, Bob Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

"M"
2014-02-18 from 17:00 to 19:00
...and more?

DAVID MADDEN
2014-02-18 from 15:00 to 19:00
2014-02-19 from 15:00 to 19:00
2014-02-20 from 15:00 to 19:00

NARCIS GARCIA
2014-02-18 from 09:00 to 19:00
2014-02-19 from 15:00 to 19:00
2014-02-20 from 09:00 to 19:00

BOB MILLER
2014-02-18 from 17:00 to 19:00
...and more?

Re: Davical status

The most matched time for meeting is:
2014-02-18 from 17:00 to 19:00

If no one offers another place, I propose ###

Some points to talk about:
1. Project's infrastructure
1.1. Website and documentation
1.2. Source code
1.3. Downloads and repositories
2. Development
2.1. Tickets or bug reports
2.2. Patches or updates
2.3. New features or versions
3.Project's community
3.1 Mailing list and meetings
3.2. Available roles
3.3. Communication with Andrew McMillan
4. Off topics

I propose to meet with Gobby at channel/host:
assemblies.actiu.info:23101
Password: davical

http://gobby.0x539.de/

El 06/02/14 22:45, Bob Miller ha escrit:

> Hello,
>
>> "M"
>> 2014-02-18 from 17:00 to 19:00
>> ...and more?
>>
>> DAVID MADDEN
>> 2014-02-18 from 15:00 to 19:00
>> 2014-02-19 from 15:00 to 19:00
>> 2014-02-20 from 15:00 to 19:00
>>
>> NARCIS GARCIA
>> 2014-02-18 from 09:00 to 19:00
>> 2014-02-19 from 15:00 to 19:00
>> 2014-02-20 from 09:00 to 19:00
>>
>> BOB MILLER
>> 2014-02-18 from 17:00 to 19:00
>> ...and more?
>
> I live -8:00GMT - West coast north america.  Barring a customer having
> an emergency, I should be able to make any time between 17:00-4:00 UTC
> on any weekday work...

>>> FWIW, 15:00-19:00 UTC -> 07:00-11:00 on U.S. west coast (Los Angeles).
>>> I would attend, although I haven't been a contributor in the past.
>>> (I've used DAViCal for calendaring my law practice for ~5 years, and I
>>> can program in C, C++, SQL and JS [among others].  I'd be interested in
>>> using MySQL instead of PostgreSQL because I have several other systems
>>> that use MySQL -- it'd be easier administration for me.)
>>>
>>> Regards,

>>> Managing the Performance of Cloud-Based Applications
>>> Take advantage of what the Cloud has to offer - Avoid Common Pitfalls.
>>> Read the Whitepaper.
>>> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=121051231&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Re: Davical status

John Allen
I am just a user of davical, but might it be a "good" idea to move move
the wiki, website, code to source-forge, or git-hub making that the
"official" site.
That way we should avoid the problem that Andrew had - the equipment got
old, failed and He was busy else where, and could not give it the
attention he would have liked.
JohnA

On 06/02/2014 10:57 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi Narcis, everyone
>
> On 02/05/14 23:47, Narcis Garcia wrote:
>> Meeting for 2014-02-18 at 17:00 UTC ?
> This is a good time/date for me.
>

> In general since (almost) everyone lives in a different timezone we
> could also start organizing things on the mailing list as well.
>
> Starting with priorities, let's way wiki, website, code repos.
>
> The question then arises shall we start by mirroring the website, wiki,
> etc.. to a different or can we provided access to Davical current
> infrastructure?
>
> -m

Re: Davical status

John Allen
JohnA
2014-02-xx from 15:00 to 19:00

On 06/02/2014 11:47 AM, Narcis Garcia wrote:

> [all utc]
>
> "M"
> 2014-02-18 from 17:00 to 19:00
> ...and more?
>
> DAVID MADDEN
> 2014-02-18 from 15:00 to 19:00
> 2014-02-19 from 15:00 to 19:00
> 2014-02-20 from 15:00 to 19:00
>
> NARCIS GARCIA
> 2014-02-18 from 09:00 to 19:00
> 2014-02-19 from 15:00 to 19:00
> 2014-02-20 from 09:00 to 19:00
>
> BOB MILLER
> 2014-02-18 from 17:00 to 19:00
> ...and more?
>

> El 06/02/14 16:20, David Madden ha escrit:
>> On 2/6/14, 6:29 AM, Narcis Garcia wrote:
>>> The best strategy is to reveal each availability calendar:
>>>
>>> My times (all in --utc):
>>>
>>> 2014-02-18 from 09:00 to 19:00
>>> 2014-02-19 from 15:00 to 19:00
>>> 2014-02-20 from 09:00 to 19:00
>> FWIW, 15:00-19:00 UTC -> 07:00-11:00 on U.S. west coast (Los Angeles).
>> I would attend, although I haven't been a contributor in the past.
>> (I've used DAViCal for calendaring my law practice for ~5 years, and I
>> can program in C, C++, SQL and JS [among others].  I'd be interested in
>> using MySQL instead of PostgreSQL because I have several other systems
>> that use MySQL -- it'd be easier administration for me.)
>>
>> Regards,

>> Managing the Performance of Cloud-Based Applications
>> Take advantage of what the Cloud has to offer - Avoid Common Pitfalls.
>> Read the Whitepaper.
>> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=121051231&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

Re: Davical status

Does everybody checked that enters perfectly to the Gobby channel?
(please, use a clear name as nick)

Host: assemblies.actiu.info:23101
Password: davical

Client software:
http://gobby.0x539.de/

El 10/02/14 14:09, John ha escrit:

> I am just a user of davical, but might it be a "good" idea to move move
> the wiki, website, code to source-forge, or git-hub making that the
> "official" site.
> That way we should avoid the problem that Andrew had - the equipment got
> old, failed and He was busy else where, and could not give it the
> attention he would have liked.
> JohnA

>> Hi Narcis, everyone
>>
>> On 02/05/14 23:47, Narcis Garcia wrote:
>>> Meeting for 2014-02-18 at 17:00 UTC ?
>> This is a good time/date for me.
>>

>> In general since (almost) everyone lives in a different timezone we
>> could also start organizing things on the mailing list as well.
>>
>> Starting with priorities, let's way wiki, website, code repos.
>>
>> The question then arises shall we start by mirroring the website, wiki,
>> etc.. to a different or can we provided access to Davical current
>> infrastructure?
>>
>> -m

Re: Davical status

mu3pheih
Hi Narcis,

On 02/08/14 22:12, Narcis Garcia wrote:
> The most matched time for meeting is:
> 2014-02-18 from 17:00 to 19:00

UTC time?

> I propose to meet with Gobby at channel/host:
> assemblies.actiu.info:23101
> Password: davical

Nice idea to use Gobby.
Is this a private hosted server?

I would suggest to use the official Davical IRC channel (OFTC, #davical)
as well.

-m

On 02/10/14 14:55, Narcis Garcia wrote:
> Does everybody checked that enters perfectly to the Gobby channel?

Checked.

> Host: assemblies.actiu.info:23101

Is this the correct SHA1 Fingerprint?
DF:CD:CE:63:A2:42:80:4F:08:DF:E7:2F:C3:B8:B9:4C:9A:F7:97:3F

-m

12