[Davical-general] Davical status

12

[Davical-general] Gobby IRC/Editor on OSX [was Re: Davical status]

David Madden
On 2/10/14, 6:14 AM, Ján Máté wrote:
> I've just checked it and the client is not for OS X (MacPorts is not
> an option, because it installs a ton of other software - it's like
> installing another Unix distribution on OS X).

I use VMs on MacOSX for stuff like this.  OSX is a screwy unix, but
VMWare and Parallels are both pretty good and pretty cheap.  I was just
able to connect to Gobby from a Debian VM on my MacBook Pro.

Mersenne Law LLC  ·  www.mersenne.com  ·  +1-503-679-1671
- Small Business, Startup and Intellectual Property Law -
9600 S.W. Oak Street · Suite 500 · Tigard, Oregon  97223

Re: Gobby IRC/Editor on OSX [was Re: Davical status]

Ján Máté-2
On 10 Feb 2014, at 15:24, David Madden <[hidden email]> wrote:

I use VMs on MacOSX for stuff like this.  OSX is a screwy unix, but
VMWare and Parallels are both pretty good and pretty cheap.  I was just
able to connect to Gobby from a Debian VM on my MacBook Pro.

This is true, but there is an official IRC channel for DAViCal (OFTC, #davical), so the question is why to use an editor (with included chat functionality) instead of standard chat software IRC/XMPP/...?

Installation of additional OS just for "different" chatting is like communication via smoke signal (or even better - like using paper calendars instead of DAViCal) ...

Re: Davical status

John
What is Gobby? What is the advantage, assuming there is one!
Why cant we use IRC?

On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 4:12 PM, Narcis Garcia <[hidden email]> wrote:
The most matched time for meeting is:
2014-02-18 from 17:00 to 19:00

If no one offers another place, I propose ###

Some points to talk about:
1. Project's infrastructure
1.1. Website and documentation
1.2. Source code
1.3. Downloads and repositories
2. Development
2.1. Tickets or bug reports
2.2. Patches or updates
2.3. New features or versions
3.Project's community
3.1 Mailing list and meetings
3.2. Available roles
3.3. Communication with Andrew McMillan
4. Off topics

I propose to meet with Gobby at channel/host:
assemblies.actiu.info:23101
Password: davical

http://gobby.0x539.de/

El 06/02/14 22:45, Bob Miller ha escrit:
> Hello,
>
>> "M"
>> 2014-02-18 from 17:00 to 19:00
>> ...and more?
>>
>> DAVID MADDEN
>> 2014-02-18 from 15:00 to 19:00
>> 2014-02-19 from 15:00 to 19:00
>> 2014-02-20 from 15:00 to 19:00
>>
>> NARCIS GARCIA
>> 2014-02-18 from 09:00 to 19:00
>> 2014-02-19 from 15:00 to 19:00
>> 2014-02-20 from 09:00 to 19:00
>>
>> BOB MILLER
>> 2014-02-18 from 17:00 to 19:00
>> ...and more?
>
> I live -8:00GMT - West coast north america.  Barring a customer having
> an emergency, I should be able to make any time between 17:00-4:00 UTC
> on any weekday work...

>>> FWIW, 15:00-19:00 UTC -> 07:00-11:00 on U.S. west coast (Los Angeles).
>>> I would attend, although I haven't been a contributor in the past.
>>> (I've used DAViCal for calendaring my law practice for ~5 years, and I
>>> can program in C, C++, SQL and JS [among others].  I'd be interested in
>>> using MySQL instead of PostgreSQL because I have several other systems
>>> that use MySQL -- it'd be easier administration for me.)
>>>
>>> Regards,

>>> Managing the Performance of Cloud-Based Applications
>>> Take advantage of what the Cloud has to offer - Avoid Common Pitfalls.
>>> Read the Whitepaper.
>>> http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?id=121051231&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk

John A
------------------------------
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." (Edmund Burke)

Re: Davical status

Mr."m" you are right with the fingerprint. The server is in a collective
similar to the well-known Riseup.net (actiu.info)

Ján Maté, I think that it must be enough easy to use GNU/Linux software
on other Unix desktops such as Mac OS, but we can use IRC for
chattering, and Gobby for taking minutes of solid conclusions.

In a meeting the things are clear if there is an organized points order
and written agreements.

Gobby has an embedded chat, but we can use IRC instead of this small
feature, and Ján Maté will have an easy scenario to participate in the
chattering part.

Al 10/02/14 15:51, En/na John ha escrit:

> [...]
>     >>> Davical-general mailing list
>     >>> [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     >>> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/davical-general
>     >>>
>     >>
>     >>
>     >> [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     >> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/davical-general
>     >
>     >
>     >
>     > [hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>
>     > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/davical-general
>     >

> John A
> ------------------------------
> "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do

Florian Lehner
> Why to not use standard IRC? It works on all platforms and there are a ton
> of IRC clients (everybody can choose their favorite).

I totaly agree with Jan.

Re: Davical status

John Allen
I will go with either,  Just I had never heard of Gobby before.
One question, the windows version comes with a "infinoted" server, is
this needed.

JohnA

Re: Davical status

Bob Miller

> I will go with either,

concur.

I just installed gobby on ubuntu from the repositories and seems to be
painless.  I have also never used this and it has me curious.

I also have an IRC client, so either way seems I am ready :)

Re: Davical status

infinoted is the server side for Gobby.
It's not needed if you don't want to configure a meetings server.

I've written points to talk in a document called:
2014-02-18_meeting.txt

Host: assemblies.actiu.info:23101
Password: davical
Client software: http://gobby.0x539.de/

The channel is already available and everybody can connect to make
testing with more text documents. All can be undone or removed. Please,
use clear usernames for this channel.

El 10/02/14 21:22, John ha escrit:

> I will go with either,  Just I had never heard of Gobby before.
> One question, the windows version comes with a "infinoted" server, is
> this needed.
>
> JohnA

Re: Davical status

Bob Miller
hello,

> I just installed gobby on ubuntu from the repositories and seems to be
> painless.  I have also never used this and it has me curious.

A note to any other ubuntu users, install the package gobby-infinote,
not gobby.  Else you will not be able to get through TLS security...

Re: Davical status MEETING

The current status of the meeting call is:

DAY: 2014-02-18
TIME: Start 17:00 end 19:00 UTC

At least, the minutes sure will be taken at Gobby channel*:
Host: assemblies.actiu.info:23101
Password: davical
Client software**: http://gobby.0x539.de/

There is a proposal to do the chat at traditional channel #davical in
OFTC IRC network, to make easy to participate a Mac OS user. Anyway
Gobby has also chat embedded to the minutes editor.

(*) Gobby channel is ready to explore and test. Is important people
checks that works fine to enter and write documents in the document
tree, and meeting doesn't need to delay for support questions.
(**) Debian and Ubuntu desktop users use the package gobby-infinote from
builtin repositories. Gobby package from Android repositories has no
relation with the exposed collaborative software.

See also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gobby

El 11/02/14 18:27, Bob Miller ha escrit:

> hello,
>
>> I just installed gobby on ubuntu from the repositories and seems to be
>> painless.  I have also never used this and it has me curious.
>
> A note to any other ubuntu users, install the package gobby-infinote,
> not gobby.  Else you will not be able to get through TLS security...

Re: Davical status

David Newman
On 2/10/14 9:48 AM, Florian Lehner wrote:
>> Why to not use standard IRC? It works on all platforms and there are a ton
>> of IRC clients (everybody can choose their favorite).
>
> I totaly agree with Jan.

Thirded. IRC is my preference as well.

dn

Re: Davical status

Florian Lehner
IRC is here prefered, too.

On 13 February 2014 19:54, David Newman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2/10/14 9:48 AM, Florian Lehner wrote:
>>> Why to not use standard IRC? It works on all platforms and there are a ton
>>> of IRC clients (everybody can choose their favorite).
>>
>> I totaly agree with Jan.
>
> Thirded. IRC is my preference as well.
>
> dn

Re: Davical status MEETING

The current status of the meeting call is:

DAY: 2014-02-18
TIME: Start 17:00 end 19:00 UTC

- Meeting minutes will be taken at Gobby channel*:
Host: assemblies.actiu.info:23101
Password: davical
Client software**: http://gobby.0x539.de/

- Chat talking can be done at IRC channel #davical in OFTC network.

- If somebody cannot join with Gobby editor, maybe could read the
minutes from a webpage. The server offers updating text file to a
website every X minutes. An S/FTP access is needed.

(*) Gobby channel is ready to explore and test. Is important people
checks that works fine to enter and write documents in the document
tree, and meeting doesn't need to delay for support questions.
(**) Debian and Ubuntu desktop users use the package gobby-infinote from
builtin repositories. Gobby package from Android repositories has no
relation with the exposed collaborative software.

Re: Davical status MEETING

At the las moment I had a personal emergency and couldn't be at the
first meeting.
To help people with difficulties with Gobby, the meeting minutes was
(and is) available publicly at:
http://assemblies.actiu.info/23101/2014-02-18_meeting.txt

As I undestand, next meeting can be on March 4th at the same time.

Al 15/02/14 09:12, En/na Narcis Garcia ha escrit: