[Davical-general] Export to ics and vcard

[Davical-general] Export to ics and vcard

Arthur Chereau
I just installed DAViCal 1.1.1 and it's working fine. Thanks !

Now, I would like to backup my calendars and contacts in a format that's
portable and usable with any CalDAV/CardDAV server, I mean ics and vcard.

Unfortunately, I haven't found in the DAViCal package or the Web a
script that connects to the database and just outputs a calendar.ics or
a contacts.vcf file. I don't want to use wget, because I don't want to
put a password in a script, and it doesn't work with contacts
collections. I need something that gets the data directly from the DB.

Do you know where I can find such a simple ics/vcard export script ?

Jon

Re: Export to ics and vcard

Jon
I don't know about the vcard but you can dump ical from davical at:

[hidden email]

in my case (collection name is 'calendar'):
http://username:password@192.168.0.5:8118/caldav.php/calendar/jon.ics

I have also set up a 60 minute chron to output to an intranet address in linux for a oneway sync for my phone:

#!/bin/bash
#
cd /home/jon/www/calendar
wget -N http://username:password@192.168.0.5:8118/caldav.php/calendar/marlo.ics /home/jon/www/calendar/marlo.ics
wget -N http://username:password@192.168.0.5:8118/caldav.php/calendar/jon.ics /home/jon/www/calendar/jon.ics
wget -N http://username:password@192.168.0.5:8118/caldav.php/calendar/both.ics /home/jon/www/calendar/both.ics

Hope this helps.

Jon Archer
"I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination." - Jimmy Dean

Down to Earth Enterprises - Psychological Services
1237 W. Auburn Dr.
Tempe, AZ 85283
www.drmarlo.com
480-705-5007

On 07/09/2012 01:39 PM, Arthur Chereau wrote:
I just installed DAViCal 1.1.1 and it's working fine. Thanks !

Now, I would like to backup my calendars and contacts in a format that's
portable and usable with any CalDAV/CardDAV server, I mean ics and vcard.

Unfortunately, I haven't found in the DAViCal package or the Web a
script that connects to the database and just outputs a calendar.ics or
a contacts.vcf file. I don't want to use wget, because I don't want to
put a password in a script, and it doesn't work with contacts
collections. I need something that gets the data directly from the DB.

Do you know where I can find such a simple ics/vcard export script ?

Re: Export to ics and vcard

Arthur Chereau
Thanks, but as I said I don't want to use wget because I don't want to
put passwords in a script, and your method doesn't work with contacts. I
need something that directly queries the database.

With all the calendar/contacts client applications, you can always
export your data to ics or vcard. It's a "standard" feature, and a
feature that allows you to import your current data into DAViCal.

It's quite surprising that DAViCal lacks this feature. That means you
can't backup your data into a standard format. That means when you
choose DAViCal, you're locked into DAViCal: the software doesn't even
allow you to export your data as any client app does.

Please tell me I'm wrong. Where are the scripts to export my data to ics
and vcard from the database ? (and, I repeat, not with wget)

Thanks.

Le 09/07/2012 23:29, Jon a écrit :

> I don't know about the vcard but you can dump ical from davical at:
>
> "<a href="http://username:password@DavicalAddress:port/caldav.php/collection/calendar.ics">http://username:password@DavicalAddress:port/caldav.php/collection/calendar.ics"
>

> in my case (collection name is 'calendar'):
> http://username:password@192.168.0.5:8118/caldav.php/calendar/jon.ics
>

> I have also set up a 60 minute chron to output to an intranet address in
> linux for a oneway sync for my phone:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> #
> cd /home/jon/www/calendar
> wget -N
> http://username:password@192.168.0.5:8118/caldav.php/calendar/marlo.ics
> /home/jon/www/calendar/marlo.ics
> wget -N
> http://username:password@192.168.0.5:8118/caldav.php/calendar/jon.ics
> /home/jon/www/calendar/jon.ics
> wget -N
> http://username:password@192.168.0.5:8118/caldav.php/calendar/both.ics
> /home/jon/www/calendar/both.ics
>

> Hope this helps.
>
> Jon Archer
> "I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to
> always reach my destination." - Jimmy Dean
> Down to Earth Enterprises - Psychological Services
> 1237 W. Auburn Dr.
> Tempe, AZ 85283
> www.drmarlo.com
> 480-705-5007
> On 07/09/2012 01:39 PM, Arthur Chereau wrote:
>> I just installed DAViCal 1.1.1 and it's working fine. Thanks !
>>
>> Now, I would like to backup my calendars and contacts in a format that's
>> portable and usable with any CalDAV/CardDAV server, I mean ics and vcard.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I haven't found in the DAViCal package or the Web a
>> script that connects to the database and just outputs a calendar.ics or
>> a contacts.vcf file. I don't want to use wget, because I don't want to
>> put a password in a script, and it doesn't work with contacts
>> collections. I need something that gets the data directly from the DB.
>>
>> Do you know where I can find such a simple ics/vcard export script ?

Re: Export to ics and vcard

exporting data from davical is only 5 minute basic work for any skilled admin. Here is the command to export a collection:

psql database -Atc "SELECT array_to_string(array(SELECT caldav_data FROM caldav_data WHERE dav_name LIKE '/username/collection/%'),'');" > export_file

example addressbook export (database_name: "davical", user_name: "peter", addressbook_name: "addresses"):

psql davical -Atc "SELECT array_to_string(array(SELECT caldav_data FROM caldav_data WHERE dav_name LIKE '/peter/addresses/%'),'');" > exported_addressbook.vcf

example calendar export (database_name: "davical", user_name: "mark", calendar_name: "calendar"):

psql davical -Atc "SELECT array_to_string(array(SELECT caldav_data FROM caldav_data WHERE dav_name LIKE '/mark/calendar/%'),'');" > exported_calendar.ics

JM

On Jul 10, 2012, at 10:33 PM, Arthur Chereau wrote:

> Thanks, but as I said I don't want to use wget because I don't want to
> put passwords in a script, and your method doesn't work with contacts. I
> need something that directly queries the database.
>
> With all the calendar/contacts client applications, you can always
> export your data to ics or vcard. It's a "standard" feature, and a
> feature that allows you to import your current data into DAViCal.
>
> It's quite surprising that DAViCal lacks this feature. That means you
> can't backup your data into a standard format. That means when you
> choose DAViCal, you're locked into DAViCal: the software doesn't even
> allow you to export your data as any client app does.
>
> Please tell me I'm wrong. Where are the scripts to export my data to ics
> and vcard from the database ? (and, I repeat, not with wget)
>
> Thanks.

Re: Export to ics and vcard

Arthur Chereau
Thanks a lot !

Le 10/07/2012 23:11, Ján Máté a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> exporting data from davical is only 5 minute basic work for any skilled admin. Here is the command to export a collection:
>
> psql database -Atc "SELECT array_to_string(array(SELECT caldav_data FROM caldav_data WHERE dav_name LIKE '/username/collection/%'),'');" > export_file
>

> example addressbook export (database_name: "davical", user_name: "peter", addressbook_name: "addresses"):
>
> psql davical -Atc "SELECT array_to_string(array(SELECT caldav_data FROM caldav_data WHERE dav_name LIKE '/peter/addresses/%'),'');" > exported_addressbook.vcf
>

> example calendar export (database_name: "davical", user_name: "mark", calendar_name: "calendar"):
>
> psql davical -Atc "SELECT array_to_string(array(SELECT caldav_data FROM caldav_data WHERE dav_name LIKE '/mark/calendar/%'),'');" > exported_calendar.ics
>

> JM

Re: Export to ics and vcard

On Tue, 2012-07-10 at 22:33 +0200, Arthur Chereau wrote:
> Thanks, but as I said I don't want to use wget because I don't want to
> put passwords in a script, and your method doesn't work with contacts. I
> need something that directly queries the database.

The latest version of DAViCal includes a script in the scripts
subdirectory which you can use to dump any calendar (or addressbook) to
a file.

You need to have the PHP command-line installed, and then you should be
able to run:

/path/to/davical/scripts/export_calendar.php site.domain.name /username/calendar/

Which will export that calendar to STDOUT.

Cheers,
                                        Andrew.

> With all the calendar/contacts client applications, you can always
> export your data to ics or vcard. It's a "standard" feature, and a
> feature that allows you to import your current data into DAViCal.
>
> It's quite surprising that DAViCal lacks this feature. That means you
> can't backup your data into a standard format. That means when you
> choose DAViCal, you're locked into DAViCal: the software doesn't even
> allow you to export your data as any client app does.
>
> Please tell me I'm wrong. Where are the scripts to export my data to ics
> and vcard from the database ? (and, I repeat, not with wget)
>
> Thanks.
>

> Le 09/07/2012 23:29, Jon a écrit :
> > I don't know about the vcard but you can dump ical from davical at:
> >
> > "<a href="http://username:password@DavicalAddress:port/caldav.php/collection/calendar.ics">http://username:password@DavicalAddress:port/caldav.php/collection/calendar.ics"
> >

> > in my case (collection name is 'calendar'):
> > http://username:password@192.168.0.5:8118/caldav.php/calendar/jon.ics
> >

> > I have also set up a 60 minute chron to output to an intranet address in
> > linux for a oneway sync for my phone:
> >
> > #!/bin/bash
> > #
> > cd /home/jon/www/calendar
> > wget -N
> > http://username:password@192.168.0.5:8118/caldav.php/calendar/marlo.ics
> > /home/jon/www/calendar/marlo.ics
> > wget -N
> > http://username:password@192.168.0.5:8118/caldav.php/calendar/jon.ics
> > /home/jon/www/calendar/jon.ics
> > wget -N
> > http://username:password@192.168.0.5:8118/caldav.php/calendar/both.ics
> > /home/jon/www/calendar/both.ics
> >

> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > Jon Archer
> > "I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to
> > always reach my destination." - Jimmy Dean
> > Down to Earth Enterprises - Psychological Services
> > 1237 W. Auburn Dr.
> > Tempe, AZ 85283
> > www.drmarlo.com
> > 480-705-5007
> > On 07/09/2012 01:39 PM, Arthur Chereau wrote:
> >> I just installed DAViCal 1.1.1 and it's working fine. Thanks !
> >>
> >> Now, I would like to backup my calendars and contacts in a format that's
> >> portable and usable with any CalDAV/CardDAV server, I mean ics and vcard.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately, I haven't found in the DAViCal package or the Web a
> >> script that connects to the database and just outputs a calendar.ics or
> >> a contacts.vcf file. I don't want to use wget, because I don't want to
> >> put a password in a script, and it doesn't work with contacts
> >> collections. I need something that gets the data directly from the DB.
> >>
> >> Do you know where I can find such a simple ics/vcard export script ?

              Does the turtle move for you?  www.kame.net

Re: Export to ics and vcard

Arthur Chereau
Thanks, but I checked in the scripts directory before asking, and there
is no such script in it.

I have 1.1.1 as a debian package from your server. In the scripts
directory I only have:
- cron-sync-ldap.php
- tz-update.php

Cheers.

Le 13/07/2012 11:17, Andrew McMillan a écrit :

> On Tue, 2012-07-10 at 22:33 +0200, Arthur Chereau wrote:
>> Thanks, but as I said I don't want to use wget because I don't want to
>> put passwords in a script, and your method doesn't work with contacts. I
>> need something that directly queries the database.
>
> The latest version of DAViCal includes a script in the scripts
> subdirectory which you can use to dump any calendar (or addressbook) to
> a file.
>
> You need to have the PHP command-line installed, and then you should be
> able to run:
>
> /path/to/davical/scripts/export_calendar.php site.domain.name /username/calendar/
>
> Which will export that calendar to STDOUT.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrew.
>
>> With all the calendar/contacts client applications, you can always
>> export your data to ics or vcard. It's a "standard" feature, and a
>> feature that allows you to import your current data into DAViCal.
>>
>> It's quite surprising that DAViCal lacks this feature. That means you
>> can't backup your data into a standard format. That means when you
>> choose DAViCal, you're locked into DAViCal: the software doesn't even
>> allow you to export your data as any client app does.
>>
>> Please tell me I'm wrong. Where are the scripts to export my data to ics
>> and vcard from the database ? (and, I repeat, not with wget)
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

>> Le 09/07/2012 23:29, Jon a écrit :
>>> I don't know about the vcard but you can dump ical from davical at:
>>>
>>> "<a href="http://username:password@DavicalAddress:port/caldav.php/collection/calendar.ics">http://username:password@DavicalAddress:port/caldav.php/collection/calendar.ics"
>>>

>>> in my case (collection name is 'calendar'):
>>> http://username:password@192.168.0.5:8118/caldav.php/calendar/jon.ics
>>>

>>> I have also set up a 60 minute chron to output to an intranet address in
>>> linux for a oneway sync for my phone:
>>>
>>> #!/bin/bash
>>> #
>>> cd /home/jon/www/calendar
>>> wget -N
>>> http://username:password@192.168.0.5:8118/caldav.php/calendar/marlo.ics
>>> /home/jon/www/calendar/marlo.ics
>>> wget -N
>>> http://username:password@192.168.0.5:8118/caldav.php/calendar/jon.ics
>>> /home/jon/www/calendar/jon.ics
>>> wget -N
>>> http://username:password@192.168.0.5:8118/caldav.php/calendar/both.ics
>>> /home/jon/www/calendar/both.ics
>>>

>>> Hope this helps.
>>>
>>> Jon Archer
>>> "I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to
>>> always reach my destination." - Jimmy Dean
>>> Down to Earth Enterprises - Psychological Services
>>> 1237 W. Auburn Dr.
>>> Tempe, AZ 85283
>>> www.drmarlo.com
>>> 480-705-5007

Re: Export to ics and vcard

Andrew McMillan
On Fri, 2012-07-13 at 20:15 +0200, Arthur Chereau wrote:
> Thanks, but I checked in the scripts directory before asking, and there
> is no such script in it.
>
> I have 1.1.1 as a debian package from your server. In the scripts
> directory I only have:
> - cron-sync-ldap.php
> - tz-update.php

Ah, it missed inclusion in the Debian package.  I'll make sure it's in
the next one.

Meanwhile you can pull it from Gi here:

http://repo.or.cz/w/davical.git/tree/HEAD:/scripts

Cheers,
                                        Andrew.

> Cheers.
>

> Le 13/07/2012 11:17, Andrew McMillan a écrit :
> > On Tue, 2012-07-10 at 22:33 +0200, Arthur Chereau wrote:
> >> Thanks, but as I said I don't want to use wget because I don't want to
> >> put passwords in a script, and your method doesn't work with contacts. I
> >> need something that directly queries the database.
> >
> > The latest version of DAViCal includes a script in the scripts
> > subdirectory which you can use to dump any calendar (or addressbook) to
> > a file.
> >
> > You need to have the PHP command-line installed, and then you should be
> > able to run:
> >
> > /path/to/davical/scripts/export_calendar.php site.domain.name /username/calendar/
> >
> > Which will export that calendar to STDOUT.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Andrew.
> >
> >> With all the calendar/contacts client applications, you can always
> >> export your data to ics or vcard. It's a "standard" feature, and a
> >> feature that allows you to import your current data into DAViCal.
> >>
> >> It's quite surprising that DAViCal lacks this feature. That means you
> >> can't backup your data into a standard format. That means when you
> >> choose DAViCal, you're locked into DAViCal: the software doesn't even
> >> allow you to export your data as any client app does.
> >>
> >> Please tell me I'm wrong. Where are the scripts to export my data to ics
> >> and vcard from the database ? (and, I repeat, not with wget)
> >>
> >> Thanks.

       Suggest you just sit there and wait till life gets easier.

Re: Export to ics and vcard

Cyrus Harmon
When I run this script, all of the SUMMARY lines come through as "BUSY". Do I need to somehow authenticate myself before I run the script?

thanks,

Cyrus