[Davical-general] Folders/Groups and Mountain Lion

[Davical-general] Folders/Groups and Mountain Lion

davical-3
Folders/Groups and Mountain Lion Hi,

there seems to be an issue creating an now Folder/Group with the new kontakte.app (german, original maybe addressbook.app?) shipped with Mac OS X Mountain Lion.

I have installed latest dvical / postgresql on Debian 6.0.5. using caldav and carddav with SSL

After updating to Mountain Lion, I couldn't see any entries within folders/Groups in the addressbook.
After creating a new folder/group to copy some address-entries into it, I got the following error-message, after a refresh of addressbook.app:

[NSInvalidArgumentException] -[CoreDAVNullParser rootElement]: unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x7fb27d703120

On IOS everything looks fine. Folders can be seen, and the address-entries too.

After manipulating an existing Folder/group under Mountain Lion (I dropped a new address-entry into to "empty" folder) all entries of the folder seen before on the IOS-Device were vanished.

Otherwise all adress-entries are still there (thank god!) and can be seen, if no folder is chosen.

At the time, it seems, that creating a new or manipulating existing folders/groups under Mountain Lion does not work anymore.

Christian

Re: Folders/Groups and Mountain Lion

Graf von Roit zu Hoya
Hello,

i can confirm this. Same to me. I know, there is an patch in the git repository for an address book issue.. But at this Time, i wasn't able to test it, as i'm just now installed Mountain Lion. Will testet the next days and report to the list.

Bye
Rudolf

Am 29.07.2012 um 17:38 schrieb [hidden email]:

[...]

has anyone further information about this behavor? I applied two patches
from the git concerning "Apple":  "Add workaround for Apple's POST
add-member trainwreck" and " On Apple devices these can sometimes appear
in the Apple namespace. Odd". But none of them solves the problem.

Can we in anyway contribute to locate and solve the bug? I'm now running
on Mountain Lion and could do testing.

Rudolf

--

Rudolf Graf von Roit zu Hoya
*E-Mail:* [hidden email]

Re: Folders/Groups and Mountain Lion

Carsten Pohle
Hi there,

I'm facing the same issue - any news about this? If there is something I
might provide in order to help solving the issue, please let me know
(possibly in end-user compatible wording and level of detail ;-)).

Thanks and best regards

Carsten

Am 06.08.12 11:33, schrieb Graf von Roit zu Hoya:

> Hello,
>
> has anyone further information about this behavor? I applied two patches
> from the git concerning "Apple":  "Add workaround for Apple's POST
> add-member trainwreck" and " On Apple devices these can sometimes appear
> in the Apple namespace. Odd". But none of them solves the problem.
>
> Can we in anyway contribute to locate and solve the bug? I'm now running
> on Mountain Lion and could do testing.
>
> Rudolf
>

> Am 29.07.12 17:38, schrieb [hidden email]:
>> Folders/Groups and Mountain Lion *Hi,
>>
>> there seems to be an issue creating an now Folder/Group with the new
>> kontakte.app (german, original maybe addressbook.app?) shipped with
>> Mac OS X Mountain Lion.
>>
>> I have installed latest dvical / postgresql on Debian 6.0.5. using
>> caldav and carddav with SSL
>>
>> After updating to Mountain Lion, I couldn't see any entries within
>> folders/Groups in the addressbook.
>> After creating a new folder/group to copy some address-entries into
>> it, I got the following error-message, after a refresh of addressbook.app:
>>
>> [NSInvalidArgumentException] -[CoreDAVNullParser rootElement]:
>> unrecognized selector sent to instance 0x7fb27d703120
>>
>> On IOS everything looks fine. Folders can be seen, and the
>> address-entries too.
>>
>> After manipulating an existing Folder/group under Mountain Lion (I
>> dropped a new address-entry into to "empty" folder) all entries of the
>> folder seen before on the IOS-Device were vanished.
>>
>> Otherwise all adress-entries are still there (thank god!) and can be
>> seen, if no folder is chosen.
>>
>> At the time, it seems, that creating a new or manipulating existing
>> folders/groups under Mountain Lion does not work anymore.
>>
>> Christian

>> Live Security Virtual Conference

>> *

Re: Folders/Groups and Mountain Lion

Ján Máté-2
Hi all,

OS X Contacts.app has no support for "folders" or multiple addressbooks (multiply addressbooks are supported only by iOS)

OS X Contacts.app "groups" are implemented as simple vCards ... for example:
contact_vcard.vcf:
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:3.0
UID:ca3cf81a-38a9-4b4c-beb1-8be2ef6d9663
N:Smith;Adam;;;
FN:Adam Smith
END:VCARD

contact_group_vcard.vcf:
BEGIN:VCARD
VERSION:3.0
UID:e5176287-22d6-47d0-b5c9-e9368f5d465f
FN:contact group
N:contact group;;;;
REV:20111024T201145Z
X-ADDRESSBOOKSERVER-KIND:group
X-ADDRESSBOOKSERVER-MEMBER:urn:uuid:ca3cf81a-38a9-4b4c-beb1-8be2ef6d9663
X-ADDRESSBOOKSERVER-MEMBER:urn:uuid:<another contact vcard UID>
END:VCARD

So you cannot "copy" contacts into "groups" - you can only add them to groups => all contacts are ALWAYS present in the addressbook and when you click to a "group" then Contacts.app will show you only contacts defined in the "group vcard" (it works as a filter - not as a different "folder").

Note: in iOS 5 both contact groups and also addressbooks are displayed in the interface in same way (there is no way to distinguish between them).

For Davical "contacts" and also "groups" are represented as simple vCards with NO difference. So if you have problems only with "groups" then it's more likely Apple bug than Davical bug.

Instead of asking for workarounds why you not asks Apple to fix the problem?

JM

On Sep 10, 2012, at 4:43 PM, Carsten Pohle <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

it's currently on DAViCal too, that "groups" are only special vCards.
The Contact.app from ML reads this "group" cards correctly. But when
changes are made (or new group cards are created) in the Contact.app,
there is now a behavour, that wasn't in the previous versions of the old
addressbook.app.

I don't think, we would be successfull, if we call Apple to solve this
"bug", as i think, that Apples own address- and calendarserver (from ML)
will handle this new requests correctly.

So all we ask for is: will DAViCal provide compatibility to the new OS X
(the widelest used CardDAV client, i think)? We know, that it is not
mandatory for the developers to implement this. But we user need to know
if we have to look for and switch over to a solution which supports the
new functions in OS X or stay on DAViCal.

As normal users all we can do is submitting a RFE and to provide
debuging information about the requests the changed Apple access
routines use. Please keep in mind, that a change in a contacts group
kills the COMPLETE group in the addressbook. And so also keep in mind,
that our offer is to DESTROY OUR data to advance the functionality of
DAViCal.

So the question is: Is there any interest in enhancing DAViCal to be
compatible to OS X10.8 (and maybe iOS6)? If yes, how can we users
provide support? If, no, thanks for the fish and good bye.

Rudolf

Am 10.09.12 17:26, schrieb Ján Máté:

> [...]
>> (possibly in end-user compatible wording and level of detail ;-)).
>>
>> Thanks and best regards
>>
>> Carsten
>>
>> Am 06.08.12 11:33, schrieb Graf von Roit zu Hoya:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> has anyone further information about this behavor? I applied two patches
>>> from the git concerning "Apple":  "Add workaround for Apple's POST
>>> add-member trainwreck" and " On Apple devices these can sometimes appear
>>> in the Apple namespace. Odd". But none of them solves the problem.
>>>
>>> Can we in anyway contribute to locate and solve the bug? I'm now running
>>> on Mountain Lion and could do testing.
>>>
>>> Rudolf

>> Live Security Virtual Conference
>> threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond.
>> Discussions
>> will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in

David Newman
On 9/11/12 11:51 PM, Graf von Roit zu Hoya wrote:

> Hello,
>
> it's currently on DAViCal too, that "groups" are only special vCards.
> The Contact.app from ML reads this "group" cards correctly. But when
> changes are made (or new group cards are created) in the Contact.app,
> there is now a behavour, that wasn't in the previous versions of the old
> addressbook.app.
>
> I don't think, we would be successfull, if we call Apple to solve this
> "bug", as i think, that Apples own address- and calendarserver (from ML)
> will handle this new requests correctly.
>
> So all we ask for is: will DAViCal provide compatibility to the new OS X
> (the widelest used CardDAV client, i think)? We know, that it is not
> mandatory for the developers to implement this. But we user need to know
> if we have to look for and switch over to a solution which supports the
> new functions in OS X or stay on DAViCal.
>
> As normal users all we can do is submitting a RFE and to provide
> debuging information about the requests the changed Apple access
> routines use. Please keep in mind, that a change in a contacts group
> kills the COMPLETE group in the addressbook. And so also keep in mind,
> that our offer is to DESTROY OUR data to advance the functionality of
> DAViCal.
>
> So the question is: Is there any interest in enhancing DAViCal to be
> compatible to OS X10.8 (and maybe iOS6)? If yes, how can we users
> provide support? If, no, thanks for the fish and good bye.

Me too. I recognize the developers of Davical don't owe me anything. I'm
grateful for all they do.

At the same time, I too am curious about how to make ML Contacts usable
with Davical. I can import a Contact Group into Davical, but it's
read-only after that -- no editing and no drag-and-drop between
different Contact Groups.

Thanks in advance for clues on how to get this working.

dn

> Rudolf
>

> Am 10.09.12 17:26, schrieb Ján Máté:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> OS X Contacts.app has no support for "folders" or multiple
>> addressbooks (multiply addressbooks are supported only by iOS)
>>
>> OS X Contacts.app "groups" are implemented as simple vCards ... for
>> example:
>> contact_vcard.vcf:
>> BEGIN:VCARD
>> VERSION:3.0
>> UID:*ca3cf81a-38a9-4b4c-beb1-8be2ef6d9663*
>> N:Smith;Adam;;;
>> FN:Adam Smith
>> END:VCARD
>>
>> contact_group_vcard.vcf:
>> BEGIN:VCARD
>> VERSION:3.0
>> UID:e5176287-22d6-47d0-b5c9-e9368f5d465f
>> FN:contact group
>> N:contact group;;;;
>> REV:20111024T201145Z
>> X-ADDRESSBOOKSERVER-KIND:group
>> X-ADDRESSBOOKSERVER-MEMBER:urn:uuid:*ca3cf81a-38a9-4b4c-beb1-8be2ef6d9663*
>> X-ADDRESSBOOKSERVER-MEMBER:urn:uuid:*<another contact vcard UID>*
>> END:VCARD
>>
>> So you cannot "copy" contacts into "groups" - you can only add them to
>> groups => all contacts are ALWAYS present in the addressbook and when
>> you click to a "group" then Contacts.app will show you only contacts
>> defined in the "group vcard" (it works as a filter - not as a
>> different "folder").
>>
>> Note: in iOS 5 both contact groups and also addressbooks are displayed
>> in the interface in same way (there is no way to distinguish between
>> them).
>>
>> For Davical "contacts" and also "groups" are represented as simple
>> vCards with NO difference. So if you have problems only with "groups"
>> then it's more likely Apple bug than Davical bug.
>>
>> Instead of asking for workarounds why you not asks Apple to fix the
>> problem?
>>
>> JM
>>

>> On Sep 10, 2012, at 4:43 PM, Carsten Pohle <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> I'm facing the same issue - any news about this? If there is something I
>>> might provide in order to help solving the issue, please let me know
>>> (possibly in end-user compatible wording and level of detail ;-)).
>>>
>>> Thanks and best regards
>>>
>>> Carsten

>>> Live Security Virtual Conference
>>> threat landscape has changed and how IT managers can respond.
>>> Discussions
>>> will include endpoint security, mobile security and the latest in
>>> malware

>> Live Security Virtual Conference

[Davical-general] Create Principal / Group by webdav/caldav protocol

Sylvain BURGER
Hi,

I use davical with an AD which holds all user's acounts and passwords.

I'm looking for a way to create a principal in davical through the webdav or caldav protocol. The user I want to create already exists in the AD, but I don't know his password, and I don't want to use the davical website...

I know I can write in the postrgres database, but I would prefer use the webdav or caldav protocol...

Any idea ?

Thanks in advance

Sylvain.

On Sep 12, 2012, at 8:51 AM, Graf von Roit zu Hoya <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> it's currently on DAViCal too, that "groups" are only special vCards.

No, it's Apple decision (contact groups are not present in vCard 3.0 standard).

> The Contact.app from ML reads this "group" cards correctly.

Yes, it is true, but it contains a major bug and works only with Apple server(s).

> But when changes are made (or new group cards are created) in the Contact.app,
> there is now a behavour, that wasn't in the previous versions of the old
> addressbook.app.

No, this is a bug - not a behaviour. And this is not the only bug - for example: "vcard group" contacts created by the Contacts.app are not RFC compliant (even if it is not the root of this problem).

> I don't think, we would be successfull, if we call Apple to solve this
> "bug", as i think, that Apples own address- and calendarserver (from ML)
> will handle this new requests correctly.

Davical handles all "vcard group" (= vcard) related requests CORRECTLY!

> So all we ask for is: will DAViCal provide compatibility to the new OS X
> (the widelest used CardDAV client, i think)? We know, that it is not
> mandatory for the developers to implement this. But we user need to know
> if we have to look for and switch over to a solution which supports the
> new functions in OS X or stay on DAViCal.
>
> As normal users all we can do is submitting a RFE and to provide
> debuging information about the requests the changed Apple access
> routines use. Please keep in mind, that a change in a contacts group
> kills the COMPLETE group in the addressbook. And so also keep in mind,
> that our offer is to DESTROY OUR data to advance the functionality of
> DAViCal.
>
> So the question is: Is there any interest in enhancing DAViCal to be
> compatible to OS X10.8 (and maybe iOS6)? If yes, how can we users
> provide support? If, no, thanks for the fish and good bye.
Even if I hate e-mails like this one, I created a workaround for this Apple bug (1 day of debugging).

Davical patch:
http://www.inf-it.com/fixes/caldav-REPORT.php.diff

Awl patch:
http://www.inf-it.com/fixes/XMLElement.php.diff

I hope Andrew will include these changes in Davical 1.1.2.

Am 28.09.12 23:35, schrieb Ján Máté:
> On Sep 12, 2012, at 8:51 AM, Graf von Roit zu Hoya <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> it's currently on DAViCal too, that "groups" are only special vCards.
> No, it's Apple decision (contact groups are not present in vCard 3.0 standard).
Ok. I'm not skilled in the RFCs. I'm only an ordinary user and not
indeep in the technical specifications. For the "missing" group
functionality i meanwhile use CardDavMate and it uses the "groups" as
expected. That's my workaround: create "group" with the Contact.app and
fill/maintain it using CardDavMate.

>> The Contact.app from ML reads this "group" cards correctly.
> Yes, it is true, but it contains a major bug and works only with Apple server(s).
Yes, it seems to me. The iDevices in all iOS-Versions above 4.x
(including 6.0) read the groups correctly. Contact.app doesn't.
Unfortunately, iOS isn't able to create groups or attach contacts to a
group.

>> But when changes are made (or new group cards are created) in the Contact.app,
>> there is now a behavour, that wasn't in the previous versions of the old
>> addressbook.app.
> No, this is a bug - not a behaviour. And this is not the only bug - for example: "vcard group" contacts created by the Contacts.app are not RFC compliant (even if it is not the root of this problem).

>> I don't think, we would be successfull, if we call Apple to solve this
>> "bug", as i think, that Apples own address- and calendarserver (from ML)
>> will handle this new requests correctly.
> Davical handles all "vcard group" (= vcard) related requests CORRECTLY!
I'm sure, that DAViCal does this. But in my mind the community is faster
and more flexible than the "big elephant" Apple. Of course we can say,
DAViCal does it the right way. But when the major app didn't handle it,
what more than the satisfaction of doing it right remains? We know it
from MicroSoft that the big player create there own "standards". Saying:
"It's not a bug, it's a feature".

>> So all we ask for is: will DAViCal provide compatibility to the new OS X
>> (the widelest used CardDAV client, i think)? We know, that it is not
>> mandatory for the developers to implement this. But we user need to know
>> if we have to look for and switch over to a solution which supports the
>> new functions in OS X or stay on DAViCal.
>>
>> As normal users all we can do is submitting a RFE and to provide
>> debuging information about the requests the changed Apple access
>> routines use. Please keep in mind, that a change in a contacts group
>> kills the COMPLETE group in the addressbook. And so also keep in mind,
>> that our offer is to DESTROY OUR data to advance the functionality of
>> DAViCal.
>>
>> So the question is: Is there any interest in enhancing DAViCal to be
>> compatible to OS X10.8 (and maybe iOS6)? If yes, how can we users
>> provide support? If, no, thanks for the fish and good bye.
> Even if I hate e-mails like this one,
Sorry, you missunderstood me. Should never be a threat!!!! See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/So_Long,_and_Thanks_for_All_the_Fish

> I created a workaround for this Apple bug (1 day of debugging).
I think, i can thank you in the name of all OSX users. And as written in
my mail, i'm always ready to help debugging where it is possible.

> Davical patch:
> http://www.inf-it.com/fixes/caldav-REPORT.php.diff
>
> Awl patch:
> http://www.inf-it.com/fixes/XMLElement.php.diff
>
> I hope Andrew will include these changes in Davical 1.1.2.
We hope this too. Many thanks!

Rudolf

On 10/1/12 12:20 AM, Graf von Roit zu Hoya wrote:

>> I created a workaround for this Apple bug (1 day of debugging).
> I think, i can thank you in the name of all OSX users. And as written in
> my mail, i'm always ready to help debugging where it is possible.
>
>> Davical patch:
>> http://www.inf-it.com/fixes/caldav-REPORT.php.diff
>>
>> Awl patch:
>> http://www.inf-it.com/fixes/XMLElement.php.diff
>>
>> I hope Andrew will include these changes in Davical 1.1.2.
> We hope this too. Many thanks!

My thanks as well!

I also found this summary of Andrew's patches, which allow editing of
Apple contacts on the Davical server:

https://www.nesono.com/node/397

Are these patches and yours related? Are both needed?

Thanks again.

dn

Re: Folders/Groups and Mountain Lion

Ján Máté-2
Yes,

you also need patches related to POST request problems (these patches are already in the GIT). As I know the GIT version is 100% stable (tested in production environment with ~50 users) - so use the GIT version (both davical & awl) + my patches.

JM

On 10/1/12 9:03 AM, Ján Máté wrote:
> Yes,
>
> you also need patches related to POST request problems (these patches are already in the GIT). As I know the GIT version is 100% stable (tested in production environment with ~50 users) - so use the GIT version (both davical & awl) + my patches.

Pardon the clueless newbie questions, but I'm new to git.

How to install from git? And will it clobber the existing config files
and database?

Using this guide:

http://wiki.davical.org/w/Developer_Setup

I got as far as creating a local repository and running make all on
davical and awl. Not sure about next steps, though.

Thanks!

dn