[Davical-general] 'Group' calendars

Oliver Schinagl-2
Hello list,

I've been a happy davical user for quite some time, but was bumping into
calendar42's promo video [0] (dutch only I belive) and they do bring
some new concepts of dealing with calendars. For one, they use XMPP for
calendar synchronization. While there's pro's and con's to that
approach, I do think its a neat innovation. Instant calendar updates!

Secondly, and that I don't know how it works on their end, they have
'group' calendars. I believe they still have an extra calendar for this,
but let me explain in a simple 'user' example (not cooperate).

My partner and I each have our own calendar. I also created a calendar
for us together. When I make an appointment where we both have to be at,
or events that are of interest to us both, I create the event in the
'shared' calendar. This also means I not only have to configure 2
calendars, but also check both calendars etc. While this isn't a huge
issue, the idea of 'group' calendar does sound appealing.

What I was thinking, when you create a group for permissions, it should
in theory create a virtual calendar. It would take the compound of the
calendars that fall under the groups. Events would have to be marked to
which group they belong (a group for the user would help, with the only
member being the user). If a new event is created in the group calendar,
it would actually be created it each of the members calendars.

On the client end, I'd still need to connect to both calendars, mine and
the group's calendar, so that I'd be able to create a group event. I
wouldn't have to look at the group calendar specifically anymore,
everything is already in my calendar.

I know the alternative is to have only the two calendars, and send
invite requests, which then have to be accepted etc. but in some cases,
that is just simply overkill.

Anyway, just some thoughts i'd like to bounce of you guys. You really
should watch the video (muted) [0] to get an idea, though without a
translation, it's tricky.

[0]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV0fVvY9f1s&feature=c4-overview&list=UURztjeLfNzi2nw2nffMQtGA

Re: 'Group' calendars

Vincent Van Houtte
Hi,

I haven't looked at the video, nor did I search for that new
calendarserver.

 From your post, I get that the biggest problem to you is that you have
to configure more than 1 calendar on every client. I think that can be
remedied by BIND'ing those calendars to one user. Most clients I know
of, are able to find 'bound' calendars after you have entered the
servers' address and your credentials.

Vincent

On 10-05-2013 13:48, Oliver Schinagl wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I've been a happy davical user for quite some time, but was bumping
> into
> calendar42's promo video [0] (dutch only I belive) and they do bring
> some new concepts of dealing with calendars. For one, they use XMPP
> for
> calendar synchronization. While there's pro's and con's to that
> approach, I do think its a neat innovation. Instant calendar updates!
>
> Secondly, and that I don't know how it works on their end, they have
> 'group' calendars. I believe they still have an extra calendar for
> this,
> but let me explain in a simple 'user' example (not cooperate).
>
> My partner and I each have our own calendar. I also created a
> calendar
> for us together. When I make an appointment where we both have to be
> at,
> or events that are of interest to us both, I create the event in the
> 'shared' calendar. This also means I not only have to configure 2
> calendars, but also check both calendars etc. While this isn't a huge
> issue, the idea of 'group' calendar does sound appealing.
>
> What I was thinking, when you create a group for permissions, it
> should
> in theory create a virtual calendar. It would take the compound of
> the
> calendars that fall under the groups. Events would have to be marked
> which group they belong (a group for the user would help, with the
> only
> member being the user). If a new event is created in the group
> calendar,
> it would actually be created it each of the members calendars.
>
> On the client end, I'd still need to connect to both calendars, mine
> and
> the group's calendar, so that I'd be able to create a group event. I
> wouldn't have to look at the group calendar specifically anymore,
> everything is already in my calendar.
>
> I know the alternative is to have only the two calendars, and send
> invite requests, which then have to be accepted etc. but in some
> cases,
> that is just simply overkill.
>
> Anyway, just some thoughts i'd like to bounce of you guys. You really
> should watch the video (muted) [0] to get an idea, though without a
> translation, it's tricky.
>

> [0]
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV0fVvY9f1s&feature=c4-overview&list=UURztjeLfNzi2nw2nffMQtGA

Mvg,
Vincent Van Houtte
Advocaat
Advocatenkantoor Suy, Van Baeveghem & Van Houtte
Brusselsestraat 108
9200 Dendermonde
T 052 52 06 05
F 052 52 06 46
W http://synergylaw.be

Re: 'Group' calendars

I've now looked the video and their website, and Calendar42 seems to be
propietary software for propietary service and for closed systems.
I suppose Calendar42 isn't compatible with any open source calendar
protocol.

Al 10/05/13 14:33, En/na Vincent Van Houtte ha escrit:

On 05/10/13 15:16, Narcis Garcia wrote:
> I've now looked the video and their website, and Calendar42 seems to be
> propietary software for propietary service and for closed systems.
> I suppose Calendar42 isn't compatible with any open source calendar
> protocol.
Absolutly correct. They use some open protocols (XMPP) etc and was
mearly looking at interesting features.

Currently, it's a pure web-only service. Which in my mind, is a little
too much 2010.