[Davical-general] Group calendars?

Hauke Fath
Hi,

having just rolled out a Davical installation to the broader public, I
have what I see as a 'cookbook' question: How do I best implement group
calendars?

We have a few calendars that are clearly about resiurces, say, rooms,
or labs. But birthdays, absence, talks, lectures etc - should these
each be implemented as resources(*), or as calendars attached to the
group? And why?

Cheerio,
hauke

(*) iCal has the annoying habit of displaying a hierarchical entry for
each resource, consisting of the resource's name, and the calendar's
name below it.

--
     The ASCII Ribbon Campaign                    Hauke Fath
()     No HTML/RTF in email            Institut für Nachrichtentechnik

Re: Group calendars?

Hauke Fath
On Tue, 1 Dec 2015 14:42:57 +0100, Hauke Fath wrote:
> How do I best implement group calendars?

Thundering silence...

On a related note: If I decided to move (some of) the resource
calendars to group-owned calendars, how would I do that?

Cheerio,
Hauke Fath

On a side note: I can see from the archive
<http://wiki.davical.org/index.php/CalDAV_Clients/Android> that my mail
has made it to the list; but why don't I get a copy from the list
server?

--
     The ASCII Ribbon Campaign                    Hauke Fath
()     No HTML/RTF in email            Institut für Nachrichtentechnik
/\     No Word docs in email                     TU Darmstadt
     Respect for open standards              Ruf +49-6151-16-21344

Re: Group calendars?

Jim Seymour
On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 11:29:40 +0100
Hauke Fath <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Dec 2015 14:42:57 +0100, Hauke Fath wrote:
> > How do I best implement group calendars?
>
> Thundering silence...
[snip]

With all due respect: That may be because people that it was so
blindingly obvious:

    1. Create a group.  Add group members to it.
    2. Create a resource.  Add the group created in step #1 to the
       principal grants.

Regards,
Jim
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is

Re: Group calendars?

Paul Kallnbach
Hi Hauke

If I understand you right, your asking if your calendars should be part
of a resource or a group...

Please check out http://davical.org/administration.php for an overview
on how to use users, groups and resources. Groups are not supposed to
have calendars (or any other collection) but only to pool access rights
to minimise administration overhead. You can also read the information
under http://davical.dhits.nl/index.php/Permissions for more background
information.

Best,
Paul

Am 03.12.2015 um 13:09 schrieb Jim Seymour:

> On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 11:29:40 +0100
> Hauke Fath <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 1 Dec 2015 14:42:57 +0100, Hauke Fath wrote:
>>> How do I best implement group calendars?
>> Thundering silence...
> [snip]
>
> With all due respect: That may be because people that it was so
> blindingly obvious:
>
>      1. Create a group.  Add group members to it.
>      2. Create a resource.  Add the group created in step #1 to the
>         principal grants.
>
> Regards,
> Jim

Re: Group calendars?

Hauke Fath
On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 13:58:40 +0100, Paul Kallnbach wrote:

Thanks for your follow-up.

> If I understand you right, your asking if your calendars should be part
> of a resource or a group...

Correct.

> Please check out http://davical.org/administration.php for an overview
> on how to use users, groups and resources.

I have done that. While the page discusses basic use cases, it does not
really answer my question.

> Groups are not supposed to
> have calendars (or any other collection) but only to pool access rights
> to minimise administration overhead.

Is this a technical constraint, or a philosophical one?

> You can also read the information
> under http://davical.dhits.nl/index.php/Permissions for more background
> information.

I have done that, too.

My point is that a calendar for birthdays and absence of group members
is tied more closely to the group than being a "resource".

On a related issue: The DAViCal wiki discourages granting permissions
to individual persons in addition to a group they belong to. Case in
point: A group secretary has the group read access, plus an individual
(exclusive) write access for a calendar. Why is this wrong, and how
else would I implement the idea?

Cheerio,
hauke

On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 07:09:23 -0500, Jim Seymour wrote:
> With all due respect: That may be because people that it was so
> blindingly obvious:
>
>     1. Create a group.  Add group members to it.
>     2. Create a resource.  Add the group created in step #1 to the
>        principal grants.

My question touched on the "why", on "best practices", not on the how.
I am terribly sorry, should I have not made that clear enough in my