[Davical-general] How to configure DavSync MS-outlook with DAVical calendar

[Davical-general] How to configure DavSync MS-outlook with DAVical calendar

Ganesh
Hi All,
      Any buddy have configured DavSync for outlook for DAVical.
please provide guidelines.

Thanks In Advance.

Re: How to configure DavSync MS-outlook with DAVical calendar

Sylvain BURGER

up

      Any buddy have configured DavSync for outlook for DAVical.

please provide guidelines.

Thanks In Advance.

Re: How to configure DavSync MS-outlook with DAVical calendar

Egoitz Aurrekoetxea
Good morning,

This seems to work properly…. have not done a heavy testing… but seems to work…

Regards,

up

      Any buddy have configured DavSync for outlook for DAVical.
please provide guidelines.

Thanks In Advance.

Re: How to configure DavSync MS-outlook with DAVical calendar

Christian Schwamborn
Am 08.01.2014 12:30, schrieb Egoitz Aurrekoetxea:

> Good morning,
>
> This seems to work properly…. have not done a heavy testing… but seems to work…
>
> http://www.bynari.net/products-page/product-category/bynari-webdav-collaborator/
>
> Regards,
>
> El 06/01/2014, a las 10:34, Sylvain BURGER <[hidden email]> escribió:
>
>> up

Hello list,

since I had to do a survey for someone else about outlook connectors for
dav, I'm now able to give a first glance on my findings.

I used a calendar with something like 2500 entries and an address-book
with around 1500 entries to evaluate the performance.
As a test server I used the current git version, so some issues with
clients could possibly be caused by the server.

After some research I decided to give four connectors a closer look:
iCal4OL - http://ical.gutentag.ch
bynari webdav collaborator - http://www.bynari.net
surgate DAV client - http://www.outlookdav.com
cFos Outlook DAV - http://www.cfos.de/en/index.htm

iCal4OL
I this this would be the most well known one. It's a stand alone
application communicating via activeX with the local outlook mapi
server, synchronizing in fixed intervals all collections (contacts can
also be synced every 6th time).
iCal4OL gets a whole collection with one request, but It's awfully slow
synchronizing the events or contacts one by one to outlook afterwards.
The user interface hasn't earned to be called one, I've rarely seen more
confusing setup and wouldn't dare to present this to a normal user.
Calendars worked as I could tell as expected. With contacts I observed
some odd behavior: In my first tests iCal4OL got out of sync with the
server since it failed do delete address-book items. On my second try it
successfully updated changed items in my address-book, but then did
resend the same changes over and over with every synchronization.

surgate DAV client
Apart from the horrible website a some more cleaned up stand alone
application, operating similar to iCal4OL, but even slower as It gets
every event/contact one by one from the server.
Calendars seemed to work, contacts didn't. As soon as it was done with
synchronizing all contacts, It deleted all local addressed from outlook
without any obvious reason and would start all over at the next sync cycle.
I didn't do any thorough testing after I didn't got the address-book
synchronized.
It isn't cheep and the English and German translations are - lets call
it unfinished.

bynari webdav collaborator
This one works as a outlook plugin and also uses intervals to
synchronize collections, but they can be configured individual for each one.
Either calendars as well as contact synchronization just worked, as I
can tell from some brief testing. It's fast compared to the first two
and easy to setup, even for more than one calendar and one address-book.
It's price is similar to the surgate connector.

cFos Outlook DAV
It's an outlook plugin as well and it looks quite good, easy to use and
fast at a first glance. Calendars doesn't seem to be a issue, but also
need further testing, but address-books are another matter - again.
The Problem here is, that the probably use a built-in functions of
outlook to create vcards - and those are an interpretation of what
vcards my look like and lack RFC conformity.
This one is definitely worth some more investigation, it they're willing
to fix this. I sent them an email, lets see ...
The current free public beta runs until end of Feb. 2014, but the aimed
price of 10 Euros isn't much (in fact, it's the cheapest I saw).

For all experiments with address-books applies the same, as for example
for the inverse thunderbird connector. Since the Outlook Contacts
represent a fixed amount of information (i.e. regarding the number of
emails, telephone numbers etc.) you have to be careful, if you want to
synchronize Outlook and other clients which provide more flexibility in
this matter.

As a related note on clients: Even roundcube (with carddav plugin) has a
similar problem - to synchronize contacts between different clients is a
nightmare and most of the problems are related to the clients.
The combination of a current Thunderbird/Inverse connector and davical
server doesn't seem to work anymore either. If the connector sends a PUT
to update a vcard, it omits the current etag and davical refuses to
accept the change.

Cheers, Christian

Am 23.01.2014 13:53, schrieb Christian Schwamborn:
> cFos Outlook DAV
> It's an outlook plugin as well and it looks quite good, easy to use and
> fast at a first glance. Calendars doesn't seem to be a issue, but also
> need further testing, but address-books are another matter - again.
> The Problem here is, that the probably use a built-in functions of
> outlook to create vcards - and those are an interpretation of what
> vcards my look like and lack RFC conformity.
> This one is definitely worth some more investigation, it they're willing
> to fix this. I sent them an email, lets see ...

... and I got an answer:
They know about this problem, but since it seems to work with google and
ownCloud, the want to wait how much feedback they get on this particular
topic before they decide something.

So please bug them - everyone - nobody needs outlooks broken vcards in a
carddav server.

Cheers, Christian

Re: How to configure DavSync MS-outlook with DAVical calendar

Ingo Ratsdorf

On 24/01/2014 08:40, Christian Schwamborn wrote:

> Am 23.01.2014 13:53, schrieb Christian Schwamborn:
>> cFos Outlook DAV
>> It's an outlook plugin as well and it looks quite good, easy to use and
>> fast at a first glance. Calendars doesn't seem to be a issue, but also
>> need further testing, but address-books are another matter - again.
>> The Problem here is, that the probably use a built-in functions of
>> outlook to create vcards - and those are an interpretation of what
>> vcards my look like and lack RFC conformity.
>> This one is definitely worth some more investigation, it they're willing
>> to fix this. I sent them an email, lets see ...
> ... and I got an answer:
> They know about this problem, but since it seems to work with google and
> ownCloud, the want to wait how much feedback they get on this particular
> topic before they decide something.
>
> So please bug them - everyone - nobody needs outlooks broken vcards in a
> carddav server.
>
> Cheers, Christian

Hmm, I tried the cFos thing today with CalDAV of a Tine20 installation
(uses SabreDAV) and it successfully deleted ALL my calendar entries upon
first sync...
Ouch! Dangerous.

ingo.vcf (368 bytes) Download Attachment

Am 24.01.2014 03:24, schrieb Ingo Ratsdorf:

> On 24/01/2014 08:40, Christian Schwamborn wrote:
>> Am 23.01.2014 13:53, schrieb Christian Schwamborn:
>>> cFos Outlook DAV
>>> It's an outlook plugin as well and it looks quite good, easy to use and
>>> fast at a first glance. Calendars doesn't seem to be a issue, but also
>>> need further testing, but address-books are another matter - again.
>>> The Problem here is, that the probably use a built-in functions of
>>> outlook to create vcards - and those are an interpretation of what
>>> vcards my look like and lack RFC conformity.
>>> This one is definitely worth some more investigation, it they're willing
>>> to fix this. I sent them an email, lets see ...
>> ... and I got an answer:
>> They know about this problem, but since it seems to work with google and
>> ownCloud, the want to wait how much feedback they get on this particular
>> topic before they decide something.
>>
>> So please bug them - everyone - nobody needs outlooks broken vcards in a
>> carddav server.
>>
>> Cheers, Christian
>>
> Hmm, I tried the cFos thing today with CalDAV of a Tine20 installation
> (uses SabreDAV) and it successfully deleted ALL my calendar entries upon
> first sync...
> Ouch! Dangerous.

I tested against davical for a while and nothing like this happend to
me, but as I said, it's beta. If you can spare the time you might report
this to cFos.

EVO Collaborator for Outlook as alternative

marceljanssen2015
Perhaps you could try an Outlook add-in called EVO Collaborator for Outlook.
You can sync Outlook with Davical via this add-in

You have to manually set the calendar URL but then it will sync just fine.

This is their website http://us.evomailserver.com/product_eco.php