[Davical-general] IOS 5 question, calendars stop syncing

[Davical-general] IOS 5 question, calendars stop syncing

Travis Williams
I have a few users with iphone 4, ios 5.  I am running Davical 9.9.7.  If I remove/add the caldav on their device is appears to sync one time, which is good for about a months of appointments then they notice it is out of sync again (missing appointments).  I see all their appointments on sunbird so I know the appointments are there.  I am adding the appointments with a script.

I'm wondering where to start looking to troubleshoot this.  Can I tell from the Davical logs when a client requests updated calendars, could I possibly not having something correct in my calendar entries I am adding that IOS 4 was fine with but IOS 5 might not like?  Any suggestions are welcome as I'm not quite sure what to do.  I do believe setting it to "sync all" fixes this issue but it just kills their phones with amount of events on the calendar.

Thanks,

Travis

Re: IOS 5 question, calendars stop syncing

Andrew McMillan
On Mon, 2011-12-12 at 21:37 -0600, Travis Williams wrote:

> I have a few users with iphone 4, ios 5.  I am running Davical 9.9.7.  If I
> remove/add the caldav on their device is appears to sync one time, which is
> good for about a months of appointments then they notice it is out of sync
> again (missing appointments).  I see all their appointments on sunbird so I
> know the appointments are there.  I am adding the appointments with a
> script.
>
> I'm wondering where to start looking to troubleshoot this.  Can I tell from
> the Davical logs when a client requests updated calendars, could I possibly
> not having something correct in my calendar entries I am adding that IOS 4
> was fine with but IOS 5 might not like?  Any suggestions are welcome as I'm
> not quite sure what to do.  I do believe setting it to "sync all" fixes
> this issue but it just kills their phones with amount of events on the
> calendar.
I suspect this could well be related to a bug I discovered in the WebDAV
sync code about a week ago, and will be fixed in the next release.

It turns out that DAViCal was returning indications of DELETE events to
the client according to an old version of the WebDAV sync draft.

Cheers,
                                        Andrew.

                Necessity is the mother of documentation

Re: IOS 5 question, calendars stop syncing

Jens Langner
Hi Andrew,

please let us know as soon as you have checked in your changes to fix
that problem so that we can try them out from the git repository rather
than having to wait for a new release.

best regards,
jens

Andrew McMillan schrieb:

> On Mon, 2011-12-12 at 21:37 -0600, Travis Williams wrote:
>> I have a few users with iphone 4, ios 5.  I am running Davical 9.9.7.  If I
>> remove/add the caldav on their device is appears to sync one time, which is
>> good for about a months of appointments then they notice it is out of sync
>> again (missing appointments).  I see all their appointments on sunbird so I
>> know the appointments are there.  I am adding the appointments with a
>> script.
>>
>> I'm wondering where to start looking to troubleshoot this.  Can I tell from
>> the Davical logs when a client requests updated calendars, could I possibly
>> not having something correct in my calendar entries I am adding that IOS 4
>> was fine with but IOS 5 might not like?  Any suggestions are welcome as I'm
>> not quite sure what to do.  I do believe setting it to "sync all" fixes
>> this issue but it just kills their phones with amount of events on the
>> calendar.
>
> I suspect this could well be related to a bug I discovered in the WebDAV
> sync code about a week ago, and will be fixed in the next release.
>
> It turns out that DAViCal was returning indications of DELETE events to
> the client according to an old version of the WebDAV sync draft.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrew.

Jens Langner, Dresden/Germany
http://www.jens-langner.de/

Re: IOS 5 question, calendars stop syncing

Michael Rasmussen
On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 07:45:12 -0600
Travis Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I should add that anything that was on their calendar when it was added
> seem to stay there, but anything new I add to their calendar never makes it
> to the iphone.  Is there anything I could check to see if this is happening?

Isn't there some way of instruct iCal to log traffic?

--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen

Get my public GnuPG keys:
michael <at> rasmussen <dot> cc
mir <at> datanom <dot> net
mir <at> miras <dot> org

On Tue, 2011-12-13 at 07:45 -0600, Travis Williams wrote:
> I should add that anything that was on their calendar when it was added
> seem to stay there, but anything new I add to their calendar never makes it
> to the iphone.  Is there anything I could check to see if this is happening?

Hi Travis,

That sounds a little different to the problem I fixed.

The most useful debugging you can do is to enable:

        $c->dbg = array('request' = 1, 'response' = 1 );

Then:

1) wait for the iOS device to perform a sync.

2) create a new event on the server.

3) wait for the iOS device to perform a sync.

... if you could then send me the logs I can see if I can work out what
is happening.

Thanks,
                                        Andrew.

> Travis
>
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 9:37 PM, Travis Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I have a few users with iphone 4, ios 5.  I am running Davical 9.9.7.  If
> > I remove/add the caldav on their device is appears to sync one time, which
> > is good for about a months of appointments then they notice it is out of
> > sync again (missing appointments).  I see all their appointments on sunbird
> > so I know the appointments are there.  I am adding the appointments with a
> > script.
> >
> > I'm wondering where to start looking to troubleshoot this.  Can I tell
> > from the Davical logs when a client requests updated calendars, could I
> > possibly not having something correct in my calendar entries I am adding
> > that IOS 4 was fine with but IOS 5 might not like?  Any suggestions are
> > welcome as I'm not quite sure what to do.  I do believe setting it to "sync
> > all" fixes this issue but it just kills their phones with amount of events
> > on the calendar.
> >

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Travis

     Sometimes you get an almost irresistible urge to go on living.

Re: IOS 5 question, calendars stop syncing

Travis Williams
What 'logs' would you need?

Travis

On Tue, 2011-12-13 at 13:55 -0600, Travis Williams wrote:
> What 'logs' would you need?

PHP is usually configured to log to the Apache error log by default, so
those ones if that's where it's going.  You can also configure PHP to
log to a file or to syslog.

Cheers,
                                        Andrew.

> Travis
>
> On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 1:53 PM, Andrew McMillan <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2011-12-13 at 07:45 -0600, Travis Williams wrote:
> > > I should add that anything that was on their calendar when it was added
> > > seem to stay there, but anything new I add to their calendar never makes
> > it
> > > to the iphone.  Is there anything I could check to see if this is
> > happening?
> >
> > Hi Travis,
> >
> > That sounds a little different to the problem I fixed.
> >
> > The most useful debugging you can do is to enable:
> >
> >        $c->dbg = array('request' = 1, 'response' = 1 );
> >
> > Then:
> >
> > 1) wait for the iOS device to perform a sync.
> >
> > 2) create a new event on the server.
> >
> > 3) wait for the iOS device to perform a sync.
> >
> > ... if you could then send me the logs I can see if I can work out what
> > is happening.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >                                        Andrew.
> >

> > > Travis

> >  If
> > which
> > of
> > sunbird
> > with a

> > adding
> > "sync
> > events

> > --
> > andrew (AT) morphoss (DOT) com                            +64(272)DEBIAN
> >      Sometimes you get an almost irresistible urge to go on living.

     Building more free and open source software for New Zealanders

Re: IOS 5 question, calendars stop syncing

Travis Williams
I assume this is in the always.php file where I set the debug?

Travis

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Andrew McMillan <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, 2011-12-13 at 13:55 -0600, Travis Williams wrote:
> What 'logs' would you need?

PHP is usually configured to log to the Apache error log by default, so
those ones if that's where it's going.  You can also configure PHP to
log to a file or to syslog.

Cheers,
                                       Andrew.

> Travis
>
> On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 1:53 PM, Andrew McMillan <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2011-12-13 at 07:45 -0600, Travis Williams wrote:
> > > I should add that anything that was on their calendar when it was added
> > > seem to stay there, but anything new I add to their calendar never makes
> > it
> > > to the iphone.  Is there anything I could check to see if this is
> > happening?
> >
> > Hi Travis,
> >
> > That sounds a little different to the problem I fixed.
> >
> > The most useful debugging you can do is to enable:
> >
> >        $c->dbg = array('request' = 1, 'response' = 1 );
> >
> > Then:
> >
> > 1) wait for the iOS device to perform a sync.
> >
> > 2) create a new event on the server.
> >
> > 3) wait for the iOS device to perform a sync.
> >
> > ... if you could then send me the logs I can see if I can work out what
> > is happening.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >                                        Andrew.
> >

> > > Travis

> >  If
> > which
> > of
> > sunbird
> > with a

> > adding
> > "sync
> > events

> > --
> > andrew (AT) morphoss (DOT) com                            +64(272)DEBIAN
> >      Sometimes you get an almost irresistible urge to go on living.

    Building more free and open source software for New Zealanders

Re: IOS 5 question, calendars stop syncing

Vincent Van Houtte
Op donderdag 15-12-2011 om 13:01 uur [tijdzone -0600], schreef Travis
Williams:
> I assume this is in the always.php file where I set the debug?

>From my post earlier today:

> Locations where Apache loglevels are possibly set:
> /etc/apache2/apache2.conf (LogLevel warn)
> /etc/apache2/httpd.conf (-)
> /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/davical (php_value error_reporting 2)

These are the locations on my debian-stable server where loglevels and
loglocations are set. Check the configfiles for Apache, PHP + the
configfiles for your virtualhosts or Apache subfolders + the configfile
for davical itself (/etc/davical/config.php) - the possible directives
are to be found on the davical wiki.

I think Andrew is pointing towards the latter configfile.

Kind regards,
--
Vincent Van Houtte

Re: IOS 5 question, calendars stop syncing

Travis Williams
Hehe.. adding the mailing list back on.. sorry about that.

Additional info I have found out, user has calendars with out issues, eventually the calendar entries disappear (past and present apparently, still checking) and he can not see the calendars available to him.  It is still set up as an account.  We remove and re-add and it is fine, I'm wondering if this is because we are using a self signed cert????? Possibly the iphone is forgetting that we ok'd the self signed cert?  This is happening on his iphone and ipad, both since the change to 5.0.

Thanks,

Travis

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 1:21 PM, Travis Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:
Also I don't see much in the way of php loggin after this change (changed = to => btw).

When i look at the php.ini I see most logging turned off

; Log errors to specified file. PHP's default behavior is to leave this value
; empty.
; Example:
;error_log = php_errors.log
; Log errors to syslog (Event Log on NT, not valid in Windows 95).
;error_log = syslog

Does this need enabled to see anything?

Thanks,

Travis

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 1:01 PM, Travis Williams <[hidden email]> wrote:
I assume this is in the always.php file where I set the debug?

Travis

On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 2:14 PM, Andrew McMillan <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Tue, 2011-12-13 at 13:55 -0600, Travis Williams wrote:
> What 'logs' would you need?

PHP is usually configured to log to the Apache error log by default, so
those ones if that's where it's going.  You can also configure PHP to
log to a file or to syslog.

Cheers,
                                       Andrew.

> Travis
>
> On Tue, Dec 13, 2011 at 1:53 PM, Andrew McMillan <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2011-12-13 at 07:45 -0600, Travis Williams wrote:
> > > I should add that anything that was on their calendar when it was added
> > > seem to stay there, but anything new I add to their calendar never makes
> > it
> > > to the iphone.  Is there anything I could check to see if this is
> > happening?
> >
> > Hi Travis,
> >
> > That sounds a little different to the problem I fixed.
> >
> > The most useful debugging you can do is to enable:
> >
> >        $c->dbg = array('request' = 1, 'response' = 1 );
> >
> > Then:
> >
> > 1) wait for the iOS device to perform a sync.
> >
> > 2) create a new event on the server.
> >
> > 3) wait for the iOS device to perform a sync.
> >
> > ... if you could then send me the logs I can see if I can work out what
> > is happening.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >                                        Andrew.
> >

> > > Travis

> >  If
> > which
> > of
> > sunbird
> > with a

> > adding
> > "sync
> > events

> > --
> > andrew (AT) morphoss (DOT) com                            +64(272)DEBIAN
> >      Sometimes you get an almost irresistible urge to go on living.

    Building more free and open source software for New Zealanders

Re: [Davical-general] IOS 5 question, calendars stop syncing

Ganesh
Hi Travis,
          I do have same problem, i am running  on Davical 9.9.7,awl 0.49 and having sync problem on iphone, so just want to ask you is it necessary to update Davical to 1.1.1 version, will it solve my problem?

Thanks  and Regards,
Ganesh