[Davical-general] Provisioning Linux and Android clients?

[Davical-general] Provisioning Linux and Android clients?

Vincent Van Houtte
Hi list,

Short question: how do you all go about to create the necessary accounts
on your linux boxes (Evolution) and/or Android clients? I cannot image
this has to be done manually, but still I'm doing this the manual way...

Thx,
Vincent
--
Vincent Van Houtte
Advocaat

Re: Provisioning Linux and Android clients?

Andrew Ruthven
Hey,

On Wed, 2014-10-29 at 09:26 +0100, Vincent Van Houtte wrote:
> Short question: how do you all go about to create the necessary accounts
> on your linux boxes (Evolution) and/or Android clients? I cannot image
> this has to be done manually, but still I'm doing this the manual way...

We're doing it manually in Evolution and Thunderbird, but would dearly
love an automated method. This gets very painful with other a dozen
shared calendars (meeting rooms, car parks and projectors).

Cheers,
Andrew

Re: Provisioning Linux and Android clients?

jef peeraer
samba4 with AD

jef

On 29/10/2014 18:18, jef peeraer wrote:
> samba4 with AD

Thx Jef for your reply - I'm guessing Samba4 with AD ~= openLDAP (a
storage place for user/group accounts and settings)

But how do you get the (CalDAV-)account information stored in a central
location in Evolution (or other desktop client application)?

Thx,
Vincent

> jef
>
> Op 10/29/2014 09:26 AM, Vincent Van Houtte schreef:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> Short question: how do you all go about to create the necessary
>> accounts
>> on your linux boxes (Evolution) and/or Android clients? I cannot image
>> this has to be done manually, but still I'm doing this the manual
>> way...
>>
>> Thx,
>> Vincent

Vincent Van Houtte
Advocaat
Advocatenkantoor Suy, Van Baeveghem & Van Houtte
Brusselsestraat 108
9200 Dendermonde
T 052 52 06 05
T 052 77 90 05
F 052 52 06 46
W http://synergylaw.be

Re: Provisioning Linux and Android clients?

jef peeraer
this can be done with sssd. I have more experience in using openldap on
my servers.
I use another calendar app, Sogo, and this works nice together with AD.
Depends on what apps you need on the client site and which environment I
guess.

Jef

Op 10/29/2014 06:58 PM, Vincent Van Houtte schreef:

> On 29/10/2014 18:18, jef peeraer wrote:
>> samba4 with AD
>
> Thx Jef for your reply - I'm guessing Samba4 with AD ~= openLDAP (a
> storage place for user/group accounts and settings)
>
> But how do you get the (CalDAV-)account information stored in a central
> location in Evolution (or other desktop client application)?
>
> Thx,
> Vincent
>

>> jef
>>
>> Op 10/29/2014 09:26 AM, Vincent Van Houtte schreef:
>>> Hi list,
>>>
>>> Short question: how do you all go about to create the necessary accounts
>>> on your linux boxes (Evolution) and/or Android clients? I cannot image
>>> this has to be done manually, but still I'm doing this the manual way...
>>>
>>> Thx,
>>> Vincent

Re: Provisioning Linux and Android clients?

Marten Gajda-2
Hi Vincent,

our Android apps CalDAV-Sync and CardDAV-Sync support auto-provisioning, see: http://dmfs.org/wiki/index.php?title=Auto-provisioning
The basic idea is that you open a link that points to your calendar/contacts server.
You can put this link onto a website, into an email, a text message or into a QR code (requires a QR reader app).
The auto-provisioned setup is not fully automated yet, but it still saves a lot of time and typing.

cheers

Marten

Am 29.10.2014 um 09:26 schrieb Vincent Van Houtte:
Hi list,

Short question: how do you all go about to create the necessary accounts
on your linux boxes (Evolution) and/or Android clients? I cannot image
this has to be done manually, but still I'm doing this the manual way...

Thx,
Vincent

--

Marten Gajda
Schandauer Stra├če 34
01309 Dresden
Germany

tel: +49 177 4427167
email: [hidden email]
twitter: twitter.com/dmfs_org

VAT Reg. No.: DE269072391

Re: Provisioning Linux and Android clients?

Cyril Giraud-2
I had the same issue with TB+LG in the past on Windows.

I solved it like that:
- configuring TB+LG manually for 1 user
- manually editing a common profile file by copy-paste from the manually
edited user
- asking users to run a .cmd (clients were Windows Server 2003). See
attached file.

--> if was ok for new calendars (but not for deleting old ones).

     Cyril.

On 29/10/2014 09:26, Vincent Van Houtte wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> Short question: how do you all go about to create the necessary accounts
> on your linux boxes (Evolution) and/or Android clients? I cannot image
> this has to be done manually, but still I'm doing this the manual way...
>
> Thx,
> Vincent

Configure_Thunderbird.cmd:
==========================

@echo off
rem ======================================================================
rem Licence: Public Domain
rem ======================================================================
rem Object : User settings import for Thunderbird + Lightning
rem          (version Windows Thunderbird 3.1.7 issue workaround)
rem History:
rem 20.02.2010, Cyril GIRAUD, Creation.
rem 27.08.2011, Cyril GIRAUD, update for Thunderbird 6.0
rem 30.04.2012, Cyril GIRAUD, access denied issue correction.
rem ======================================================================
SetLocal
rem for /f %%i in ('cd') do set szHere=%%i
set szCompanyJStb=%ProgramFiles%\Mozilla
Thunderbird\defaults\pref\all-company.js
set szThunderJStb3=%ProgramFiles%\Mozilla
Thunderbird\defaults\pref\all-thunderbird.js
set szThunderJStb6=%ProgramFiles%\Mozilla
Thunderbird\defaults\pref\channel-prefs.js
set szCompanyJShere=%~dp0\all-company.js
set szProfilePath=%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%\Application Data\Thunderbird
set szProfile=%szProfilePath%\profiles.ini
if not exist "%szThunderJStb3%" if not exist "%szThunderJStb6%" goto
error_JStb
if not exist "%szCompanyJShere%" goto error_JShere
set szJStb=%szCompanyJStb%
copy "%szCompanyJShere%" "%szCompanyJStb%" >nul:
if not "%ErrorLevel%"=="0" call :warning_JStb2
if not exist "%szCompanyJStb%" goto error_JStb2
if not exist "%szProfile%" goto error_profile
set szLastName=
set szLastIsRelative=
set szLastPath=
set szName=
set szIsRelative=
set szPath=
for /f "tokens=1* delims==" %%i in ('type "%szProfile%"') do call
:ActionGetProfile %%i %%j
if "%szName%"=="" call :ActionGetProfileCopy
if "%szName%"=="" goto error_profile_empty
if "%szIsRelative%"=="1" set szPath=%szProfilePath%\%szPath%
echo.
echo.==================================================================
echo.Information, pathname guess:
echo szPath=%szPath%
echo.==================================================================
echo.
set szPrefs=%szPath%\prefs.js
if not exist "%szPrefs%" goto error_prefs
copy "%szPrefs%" "%szPrefs%.sav" >nul:
if not "%ErrorLevel%"=="0" call :warning_Copy "%szPrefs%" "%szPrefs%.sav"
copy /a "%szPrefs%.sav" + "%szJStb%" "%szPrefs%" >nul:
if not "%ErrorLevel%"=="0" call :warning_Copy "%szPrefs%.sav" +
"%szJStb%" "%szPrefs%"
echo.
echo.
echo.
echo.==================================================================
echo Update done.
echo Please, restart Thunderbird to enjoy new calendars.
echo.==================================================================
echo.
echo.
pause
goto fin

rem Routine de l'action GetProfile
rem =======================
        :ActionGetProfile
        set szUneCle=%1
        set szUnArg=%2
        if "%szUneCle%"=="Name" set szLastName=%szUnArg%
        if "%szUneCle%"=="IsRelative" set szLastIsRelative=%szUnArg%
        if "%szUneCle%"=="Path" set szLastPath=%szUnArg%
        if not "%szUneCle%"=="Default" goto :eof
        if not "%szUnArg%"=="1" goto :eof
        :ActionGetProfileCopy
        set szName=%szLastName%
        set szIsRelative=%szLastIsRelative%
        set szPath=%szLastPath%
        goto :eof

rem Routine de l'action reg
rem =======================
        :ActionRegAddRep
        set szUnElt=%1
        set szUneSuite=%2
        if "%szUnElt%"=="-" goto :ActionRegAddRepRec
        if "%szLeRep2%"=="" goto :ActionRegAddRepAdd1er
        set szLeRep2=%szLeRep2%\\%szUnElt%
        goto :ActionRegAddRepRec
        :ActionRegAddRepAdd1er
        set szLeRep2=%szUnElt%

        :ActionRegAddRepRec
        if "%szUneSuite%"=="" goto :eof
        for /f "tokens=1* delims=\" %%i in ('echo %szUneSuite%') do call
:ActionRegAddRep %%i %%j
        goto :eof

rem == Error messages
:error_JStb
echo Thunderbird 3 standard configuration file '%szThunderJStb3%' not
found.
echo Thunderbird 6 standard configuration file '%szThunderJStb6%' not
found.
pause
goto fin
:error_JShere
echo Thunderbird COMPANY configuration file '%szCompanyJShere%' not found.
pause
goto fin
:warning_Copy
echo Error during copy %*
goto :eof
:warning_JStb2
echo Thunderbird COMPANY configuration file '%szCompanyJShere%' copy
failed.
echo Continuing with user configuration update.
set szJStb=%szCompanyJShere%
goto :eof
:error_JStb2
echo Thunderbird COMPANY configuration file '%szCompanyJStb%' copy failed.
pause
goto fin
:error_profile
echo Thunderbird COMPANY configuration file '%szProfile%' not found.
pause
goto fin
:error_profile_empty
echo Profile data not found in '%szProfile%'.
pause
goto fin
:error_prefs
echo Thunderbird profile file '%szPrefs%' not found.
pause
goto fin

:fin
EndLocal