[Davical-general] Replacement for hide_older_than

[Davical-general] Replacement for hide_older_than

Stefan Kürten
Hello,

we are using DaviCal 0.9.9.2 with the "hide_older_than" configuration
setting. This is due to the fact, that Lightning becomes way too slow if
it has to process all the events in the calendars we have. As a client
we use Thunderbird 3.1.1 with Lightning 1.0b2.

As the "hide_older_than" setting has been removed, simply updating to
1.0.2 is not an option for us. Is there any other way to deal with large
calendars (e.g. removing old events from the database, make lightning
fetch less events, ...)?

Regards

Stefan
--
Apotheke am Rothenbaum Birgit Dumke e. K.
Sitz Hamburg | HRA 101086 Amtsgericht Hamburg

Jon

Re: Replacement for hide_older_than

Jon
What I did for our office, we are a psychology office and have HUGE calendars, was to move the older events to backup calendars by years. The end user can still choose to load the older calendars in Lightning by adding them i.e. add calendar "http://address/caldav.php/calendar/clients2010"
"http://address/caldav.php/calendar/clients2009" etc.

Here's the magic:
http://wiki.davical.org/w/Move_events_to_a_different_collection

By the way, updating to 1.0.2 didn't seem to add any appreciable speed, I'm finding Sunbird 1.0b1 to be faster.

Jon Archer
"I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails to always reach my destination." - Jimmy Dean

Down to Earth Enterprises - Psychological Services
1237 W. Auburn Dr.
Tempe, AZ 85283
www.drmarlo.com
480-705-5007

Click to Book Your
                        Appointment
On 01/19/2012 03:59 AM, Stefan Kürten wrote:
Hello,

we are using DaviCal 0.9.9.2 with the "hide_older_than" configuration
setting. This is due to the fact, that Lightning becomes way too slow if
it has to process all the events in the calendars we have. As a client
we use Thunderbird 3.1.1 with Lightning 1.0b2.

As the "hide_older_than" setting has been removed, simply updating to
1.0.2 is not an option for us. Is there any other way to deal with large
calendars (e.g. removing old events from the database, make lightning
fetch less events, ...)?

Regards

Stefan
--
Apotheke am Rothenbaum Birgit Dumke e. K.
Sitz Hamburg | HRA 101086 Amtsgericht Hamburg

Re: Replacement for hide_older_than

Andrew McMillan
On Thu, 2012-01-19 at 10:29 -0700, Jon wrote:
> What I did for our office, we are a psychology office and have HUGE
> calendars, was to move the older events to backup calendars by years.
> The end user can still choose to load the older calendars in Lightning
> by adding them i.e. add calendar
> "http://address/caldav.php/calendar/clients2010"
> "http://address/caldav.php/calendar/clients2009" etc.
>
> Here's the magic:
> http://wiki.davical.org/w/Move_events_to_a_different_collection

That's basically the same solution I would have recommended.

> By the way, updating to 1.0.2 didn't seem to add any appreciable
> speed, I'm finding Sunbird 1.0b1 to be faster.

Does turning on the cache in Lightning make it more usable in this
regard?

I haven't really made any great efforts to improve performance in
DAViCal in recent versions, which is typically limited through factors
outside of the server control.  The biggest change in that regard last
year was adding support for memcached a few releases back.  Server load
may also drop where clients use the WebDAV synchronisation report, which
is intended to be a very efficient poll - much less stress on the server
than previous approaches to sync using standard DAV/CaLDAV methods.
Apple, emClient, aCal and recent versions of Lightning all use this.

Cheers,
                                        Andrew.

> Jon Archer
> "I can't change the direction of the wind, but I can adjust my sails
> to always reach my destination." - Jimmy Dean

> Down to Earth Enterprises - Psychological Services
> 1237 W. Auburn Dr.
> Tempe, AZ 85283
> www.drmarlo.com
> 480-705-5007

> Click to Book Your Appointment
> On 01/19/2012 03:59 AM, Stefan Kürten wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > we are using DaviCal 0.9.9.2 with the "hide_older_than" configuration
> > setting. This is due to the fact, that Lightning becomes way too slow if
> > it has to process all the events in the calendars we have. As a client
> > we use Thunderbird 3.1.1 with Lightning 1.0b2.
> >
> > As the "hide_older_than" setting has been removed, simply updating to
> > 1.0.2 is not an option for us. Is there any other way to deal with large
> > calendars (e.g. removing old events from the database, make lightning
> > fetch less events, ...)?
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Stefan
> > --
> > Apotheke am Rothenbaum Birgit Dumke e. K.
> > Sitz Hamburg | HRA 101086 Amtsgericht Hamburg

             Breeding rabbits is a hare raising experience.

Re: Replacement for hide_older_than

Stefan Kürten
 >> Here's the magic:
 >> http://wiki.davical.org/w/Move_events_to_a_different_collection

Thank you very much, Jon and Andrew. That is exactly what we wanted.

>> "http://address/caldav.php/calendar/clients2010"
>> "http://address/caldav.php/calendar/clients2009" etc.

However, one more Question regarding the archive-calendars:

We would like to create one archive-calendar per user per year.

Is there a way to query every existing calendar-name?

Is there a way to automatically create the archive-calendars?
(automatically as in not per the admin-gui)

Regards

Stefan

On Jan 19, 2012, at 11:59 AM, Stefan Kürten wrote:

> Hello,
>
> we are using DaviCal 0.9.9.2 with the "hide_older_than" configuration
> setting. This is due to the fact, that Lightning becomes way too slow if
> it has to process all the events in the calendars we have. As a client
> we use Thunderbird 3.1.1 with Lightning 1.0b2.
>
> As the "hide_older_than" setting has been removed,

this option was NOT removed ... it is still present and works ...

Jon

On 01/20/2012 02:47 AM, Andrew McMillan wrote:
[...]

I haven't played with the cache setting, I assumed that Thunderbird was just slow, When I want speed I use Evolution. Evolution is way fast BUT it handles recurring appointment exceptions differently than Mozilla, and crashes from time to time. My wife, the psychologist, uses Mozilla Sunbird/Lightning and I am hesitant to force her to switch.

I've never noticed a server load issue, we have several large calendars but only 2 users. We did have issues serious loading issues when I was running OSAF's server.

http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-d2d

Jon

Re: Replacement for hide_older_than

Jon
My bad, My wife and I are sharing a calendar as username "calendar" example addressees should have been something like:

"<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://">http://[address]/caldav.php/[user]/[calendarname]2010"
"<a class="moz-txt-link-freetext" href="http://">http://[address]/caldav.php/[user]/[calendarname]2010"

short answer, yes, per user, per calendar, per year.

Jon

Re: Replacement for hide_older_than

Jon
Finally got around to trying a Thunderbird/Lightning cache test, still slow. I am certain it is NOT davical as I stated earlier Evolution is screaming fast. Thanks for the heads up on Lightning's caching finally being out of beta, I never would have noticed it had you not pointed it out.

System info if anyone cares:
Kubuntu 11.10
AMD A8 3850 (Quad core) @2.894 GHz
8 G DDR3 1333Mhz

Ought to be enough to display a calendar.

Keep up the great work Andrew!

On Fri, 2012-01-20 at 12:15 +0100, Stefan Kürten wrote:

> >> Here's the magic:
>  >> http://wiki.davical.org/w/Move_events_to_a_different_collection
>
> Thank you very much, Jon and Andrew. That is exactly what we wanted.
>
> >> "http://address/caldav.php/calendar/clients2010"
> >> "http://address/caldav.php/calendar/clients2009" etc.
>
> However, one more Question regarding the archive-calendars:
>
> We would like to create one archive-calendar per user per year.
>
> Is there a way to query every existing calendar-name?
>
> Is there a way to automatically create the archive-calendars?
> (automatically as in not per the admin-gui)
There would be no particular problem writing a script which used DAV
methods to (a) find the users, (b) create a new calendar for the old
year, (c) found the events in the main calendar which were 'old' and (d)
moved those events into the newly created calendar.

I don't have such a script, however.

Obviously this could also be done with fairly simple SQL, also.  The
more complex part is to ensure the new collection is created with the
correct settings but it should be possible to get a good start on how to
do that by looking at the code in inc/caldav-MKCOL.php

Cheers,
                                        Andrew.

              Does the turtle move for you?  www.kame.net