[Davical-general] Some features I dearly miss

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Davical-general] Some features I dearly miss

Johan Vromans
Hi all,

[ Apologies if this is the wrong list -- I'm always confused whether
  questions like this should go here, or to davclients ]

Before I migrated to DAViCal and the excellent CalDAVzap/CardDAVmate
tools I've been using a Palm PDA with the DateBook5 application. I'm
missing a couple of DateBook5 features that I used frequently and I
wonder if/how these can be achieved with the current DAViCal/CalDAVzap
software.

1. Floating events.

This is basically a whole-day event that is scheduled on a specific
date. When the date passes the event shifts to the next day, and so on,
until it is checked off. So it will always be visible in the day view
(think mobile) until it is done.

Example usage: "I need to see my dentist on october, so remind me
starting the end of september that I need to make an appointment."

2. Advance events.

This is a sort of advance warning property for ordinary events. For
example, when an event scheduled on 21/08 19:00 would have an advance
warning of 3 days, the warning would appear (as a floating event) on
18/08 and float to 19/08, 20/08 and disappear on 21/08.

Example usage: "My granddaughter's birthday is on the 28 of august,
remind me five days before that I need to send a postcard."

Thank you for your attention.

-- Johan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Davical-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/davical-general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Some features I dearly miss

Ján Máté-2
Hi Johan,

what about using the Todo list instead of "floating events"?


JM


> On 12 Aug 2014, at 10:42, Johan Vromans <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> [ Apologies if this is the wrong list -- I'm always confused whether
>  questions like this should go here, or to davclients ]
>
> Before I migrated to DAViCal and the excellent CalDAVzap/CardDAVmate
> tools I've been using a Palm PDA with the DateBook5 application. I'm
> missing a couple of DateBook5 features that I used frequently and I
> wonder if/how these can be achieved with the current DAViCal/CalDAVzap
> software.
>
> 1. Floating events.
>
> This is basically a whole-day event that is scheduled on a specific
> date. When the date passes the event shifts to the next day, and so on,
> until it is checked off. So it will always be visible in the day view
> (think mobile) until it is done.
>
> Example usage: "I need to see my dentist on october, so remind me
> starting the end of september that I need to make an appointment."
>
> 2. Advance events.
>
> This is a sort of advance warning property for ordinary events. For
> example, when an event scheduled on 21/08 19:00 would have an advance
> warning of 3 days, the warning would appear (as a floating event) on
> 18/08 and float to 19/08, 20/08 and disappear on 21/08.
>
> Example usage: "My granddaughter's birthday is on the 28 of august,
> remind me five days before that I need to send a postcard."
>
> Thank you for your attention.
>
> -- Johan
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> Davical-general mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/davical-general

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Davical-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/davical-general

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Some features I dearly miss

Vincent Van Houtte
Ján Máté schreef op di 12-08-2014 om 11:02 [+0200]:
> Hi Johan,
>
> what about using the Todo list instead of "floating events"?

++

The big difference between an event and a todo-item is that a todo-item
will only disappear if you've ticked it off. On top of that, a todo-item
does not mean you're busy the whole day (and the next...): an event
usually means you're busy during the scheduled time...

Vincent


>
>
> JM
>
>
> > On 12 Aug 2014, at 10:42, Johan Vromans <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > [ Apologies if this is the wrong list -- I'm always confused whether
> >  questions like this should go here, or to davclients ]
> >
> > Before I migrated to DAViCal and the excellent CalDAVzap/CardDAVmate
> > tools I've been using a Palm PDA with the DateBook5 application. I'm
> > missing a couple of DateBook5 features that I used frequently and I
> > wonder if/how these can be achieved with the current DAViCal/CalDAVzap
> > software.
> >
> > 1. Floating events.
> >
> > This is basically a whole-day event that is scheduled on a specific
> > date. When the date passes the event shifts to the next day, and so on,
> > until it is checked off. So it will always be visible in the day view
> > (think mobile) until it is done.
> >
> > Example usage: "I need to see my dentist on october, so remind me
> > starting the end of september that I need to make an appointment."
> >
> > 2. Advance events.
> >
> > This is a sort of advance warning property for ordinary events. For
> > example, when an event scheduled on 21/08 19:00 would have an advance
> > warning of 3 days, the warning would appear (as a floating event) on
> > 18/08 and float to 19/08, 20/08 and disappear on 21/08.
> >
> > Example usage: "My granddaughter's birthday is on the 28 of august,
> > remind me five days before that I need to send a postcard."
> >
> > Thank you for your attention.
> >
> > -- Johan
> >
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > _______________________________________________
> > Davical-general mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/davical-general
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> Davical-general mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/davical-general


--
Vincent Van Houtte
Advocaat
Advocatenkantoor Suy, Van Baeveghem & Van Houtte
Brusselsestraat 108
9200 Dendermonde
T +32(0)52 52 06 05
T +32(0)52 77 90 05
F +32(0)52 52 06 46
W http://synergylaw.be


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Davical-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/davical-general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Some features I dearly miss

Johan Vromans
In reply to this post by Ján Máté-2
Hi Ján,

[Quoting Ján Máté, on August 12 2014, 11:02, in "Re: [Davical-general"]
> what about using the Todo list instead of "floating events"?

Yes, I agree that the floating events and advance warnings are in the
realm of Tasks. I played with Tasks (I assume that is what you mean by
"the todo list") a lot but I could not get the desired results.

My major problem is that tasks do not show in the calendar, and I have
the (arguably bad) habit of primarily looking at the calendar, not at
the task lists. It's a nuisance to have to switch between de calendar
and the task lists again and again.

Apart from that, floating events could be realised with a task.

For advance warnings, there's no coupling between the calendar event
and the warning task. Ideally, an advance warning should be a setting
of the calendar event, not a separate task event. And the task should
automatically disappear (or complete) when the target date is reached.

-- Johan

BTW the DateBook5 application did have ToDo items alongside floating
events, with slightly different semantics.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Davical-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/davical-general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Some features I dearly miss

Josef Kufner
Hello Johan,
I guess you only need a better calendar. For example Lightning (the
Thunderbird addon) can show tasks in calendar. Davical is storage
backend and what you describe looks like you need better frontend
(client). However, all task applications I found are not very good, so
please let me know if you find something useful :)

Pepa


Dne 12.8.2014 v 14:20 Johan Vromans napsal(a):

> Hi Ján,
>
> [Quoting Ján Máté, on August 12 2014, 11:02, in "Re: [Davical-general"]
>> what about using the Todo list instead of "floating events"?
>
> Yes, I agree that the floating events and advance warnings are in the
> realm of Tasks. I played with Tasks (I assume that is what you mean by
> "the todo list") a lot but I could not get the desired results.
>
> My major problem is that tasks do not show in the calendar, and I have
> the (arguably bad) habit of primarily looking at the calendar, not at
> the task lists. It's a nuisance to have to switch between de calendar
> and the task lists again and again.
>
> Apart from that, floating events could be realised with a task.
>
> For advance warnings, there's no coupling between the calendar event
> and the warning task. Ideally, an advance warning should be a setting
> of the calendar event, not a separate task event. And the task should
> automatically disappear (or complete) when the target date is reached.
>
> -- Johan
>
> BTW the DateBook5 application did have ToDo items alongside floating
> events, with slightly different semantics.
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> Davical-general mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/davical-general
>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Davical-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/davical-general

signature.asc (836 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Some features I dearly miss

michael-dev
In reply to this post by Johan Vromans
Hi,

Am 12.08.2014 um 14:20 schrieb Johan Vromans:
> Yes, I agree that the floating events and advance warnings are in the
> realm of Tasks. I played with Tasks (I assume that is what you mean by
> "the todo list") a lot but I could not get the desired results.
>
> My major problem is that tasks do not show in the calendar, and I have
> the (arguably bad) habit of primarily looking at the calendar, not at
> the task lists. It's a nuisance to have to switch between de calendar
> and the task lists again and again.

but isn't this a client issue. Your client could easily render the task
as an event, couldn't it?

Regards,
 M. Braun

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Davical-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/davical-general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Some features I dearly miss

Johan Vromans
"M. Braun" <[hidden email]> writes:

> but isn't this a client issue. Your client could easily render the
> task as an event, couldn't it?

None of my clients (CalDAVzap, Android Business Calendar, iPad Calendar)
do, so it won't be "easily".

An option would be to have an external (daemon) program that manipulates
the events/tasks directly in DAViCal.

-- Johan

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Davical-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/davical-general