[Davical-general] The hard concepts structure

[Davical-general] The hard concepts structure

Narcis Garcia - GiLUG
Hello, I'm trying to setup a new CalDAV host with Debian. The software
installation is done, but now it's turn to create calendars and permissions.

I've read this extense explanation (english is not my native language):
www.davical.org/administration.php
But I'm still not understanding the difference between a Resource and a
Calendar or Addressbook.

I understand that users&groups have the same meaning as system ones
(access accounts and groups of accounts).

In wiki.davical.org would be useful to write more scenario examples, and
terms exact definitions.

Re: The hard concepts structure

Ján Máté-2
In short:

principal:
- user principal (user who can login and use the system)
- group principal (ONLY for grouping users, these groups are then usable when you grant access on user/resource principals; without using groups for granting/revoking privileges there is NO reason to use them at all /simply adding users into one group means exactly NOTHING/)
- resource (it's very similar to user principal with one exception, resource CANNOT login)

collections:
- each principal (except the group principal) can have one or more collections
- collection is a "storage" for certain type of objects (contacts, events, todos)
- there are two "main type" of collections: addressbook and calendar collections

The URL for a collection looks like: http://server.com/caldav.php/jack/calendar_a/ where "jack" is a principal, and "calendar_a" is jack's collection.

Simple example, where collections are in square brackets [] and access settings are in curly brackets {} /NOTE: you can define access right on principal and also collection level/:

- user principals:
jack {everybody has no access, Group "sales" has read-write access /NOTE: the owner have ALWAYS full access/}
[jack's calendar A for events] {inherit permissions from the principal (line above)}
[jack's calendar B for events] {inherit permissions from the principal}
[jack's calendar for todos] {inherit permissions from the principal}
[jack's addressbook A] {everybody has no access /NOTE: the owner have ALWAYS full access/}
[jack's addressbook B] {user "james" has read access}
peter {everybody has read access}
[peter's calendar for events] {Group "support" has write access, Group "sales" has read access, User "james" has read access}
[peter's calendar for todos] {inherit permissions from the principal}
[peter's addressbook] {everybody has no access}
john
james
robert

- group principals:
support (members: peter, robert)
sales (members: jack, john)

- resource principals:
cars {everybody has read access}
[BMW's event calendar] {Group "support" has write access, User "james" has write access}
[BMW's todo calendar] {Group "support" has write access, User "james" has write access}
[Mercedes' event calendars] {Group "support" has write access, User "peter" has write access}
[Mercedes' todo calendars] {Group "support" has write access, User "peter" has write access}
systems {everybody has write access}
[System A's event calendar] {inherit permissions from the principal}
[System B's event calendar] {inherit permissions from the principal}

On 05 Aug 2015, at 18:02, Narcis Garcia <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello, I'm trying to setup a new CalDAV host with Debian. The software
installation is done, but now it's turn to create calendars and permissions.

I've read this extense explanation (english is not my native language):
www.davical.org/administration.php
But I'm still not understanding the difference between a Resource and a
Calendar or Addressbook.

I understand that users&groups have the same meaning as system ones
(access accounts and groups of accounts).

In wiki.davical.org would be useful to write more scenario examples, and
terms exact definitions.

Re: The hard concepts structure

Oh thanks Jan;
With this I understand the following:

- In a tiny setup, I can create a principal[user], a collection[events
calendar] for that user, and work without any group and no resources at all.

- A resource is well used to hold subject's collections instead of
personal collections.

Am I right?

El 05/08/15 a les 18:52, Ján Máté ha escrit:

> [...]
> [System B's event calendar]{inherit permissions from the principal}
>

> Cheers,
>

> JM
>

>> On 05 Aug 2015, at 18:02, Narcis Garcia <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> Hello, I'm trying to setup a new CalDAV host with Debian. The software
>> installation is done, but now it's turn to create calendars and
>> permissions.
>>
>> I've read this extense explanation (english is not my native language):
>> www.davical.org/administration.php
>> <http://www.davical.org/administration.php>
>> But I'm still not understanding the difference between a Resource and a
>> Calendar or Addressbook.
>>
>> I understand that users&groups have the same meaning as system ones
>> (access accounts and groups of accounts).
>>
>> In wiki.davical.org would be useful to write more scenario examples, and

Yes :-)