[Davical-general] Upgrading vom 0.9.9.5 to 1.0.2 while restoring Postgresql dump

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[Davical-general] Upgrading vom 0.9.9.5 to 1.0.2 while restoring Postgresql dump

lukas.ruf
Dear all

For quite a while, I have been happily running davical 0.9.9.5 on a
debain old-stable server -- and regularly dumped the DB to a separate
NAS device.  Recently, the server has gone, unfortunately.

Now, my questions after having setup Debian/Squeeze on a new server:

* Is it possible to restore the dumps of 0.9.9.5 directly into a 1.0.2
installation?

* If not, can I apply some modifications to the dump to make it work on
a 1.0.2 installation?

* If neither, do I need to install then 0.9.9.5 first, and apply the
upgrades up to 1.0.2?

Thanks for any clarification.

Best regards
Lukas

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Virtualization & Cloud Management Using Capacity Planning
Cloud computing makes use of virtualization - but cloud computing
also focuses on allowing computing to be delivered as a service.
http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfnl/114/51521223/
_______________________________________________
Davical-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/davical-general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Upgrading vom 0.9.9.5 to 1.0.2 while restoring Postgresql dump

Christian Benz
Am 15.02.2012 21:19, schrieb Lukas Ruf:

> Dear all
> .
> For quite a while, I have been happily running davical 0.9.9.5 on a
> debain old-stable server -- and regularly dumped the DB to a separate
> NAS device.  Recently, the server has gone, unfortunately.
>
> Now, my questions after having setup Debian/Squeeze on a new server:
>
> * Is it possible to restore the dumps of 0.9.9.5 directly into a 1.0.2
> installation?
>
> * If not, can I apply some modifications to the dump to make it work on
> a 1.0.2 installation?
>
> * If neither, do I need to install then 0.9.9.5 first, and apply the
> upgrades up to 1.0.2?
>
> Thanks for any clarification.
>
> Best regards
> Lukas
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Virtualization&  Cloud Management Using Capacity Planning
> Cloud computing makes use of virtualization - but cloud computing
> also focuses on allowing computing to be delivered as a service.
> http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfnl/114/51521223/
> _______________________________________________
> Davical-general mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/davical-general

I recently upgraded from 0.9.9.6 to current 1.0.2.
The only db-related steps i did were creating both davical_app and
davical_dba users and then restored the dump.
Maybe it was different, because it got a dump from *all* my databases
which was created by the Postgre command pg_dumpall.
After restoring the dump and running
/usr/share/davical/dba/update-davical-database everything is running as
expected.

This is just my experience...
http://wiki.davical.org/w/Update-davical-database helped me performing
the upgrade.

Hope it helps...

--
Grüße
        Christian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Virtualization & Cloud Management Using Capacity Planning
Cloud computing makes use of virtualization - but cloud computing
also focuses on allowing computing to be delivered as a service.
http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfnl/114/51521223/
_______________________________________________
Davical-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/davical-general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Upgrading vom 0.9.9.5 to 1.0.2 while restoring Postgresql dump

lukas.ruf
Dear Christian

Christian Benz [16.02.2012 08:15]:

> Am 15.02.2012 21:19, schrieb Lukas Ruf:
>> Dear all
>> .
>> For quite a while, I have been happily running davical 0.9.9.5 on a
>> debain old-stable server -- and regularly dumped the DB to a separate
>> NAS device.  Recently, the server has gone, unfortunately.
>>
>> Now, my questions after having setup Debian/Squeeze on a new server:
>>
>> * Is it possible to restore the dumps of 0.9.9.5 directly into a 1.0.2
>> installation?
>>
>> * If not, can I apply some modifications to the dump to make it work on
>> a 1.0.2 installation?
>>
>> * If neither, do I need to install then 0.9.9.5 first, and apply the
>> upgrades up to 1.0.2?
>>

>
> I recently upgraded from 0.9.9.6 to current 1.0.2.
> The only db-related steps i did were creating both davical_app and
> davical_dba users and then restored the dump.
> Maybe it was different, because it got a dump from *all* my databases
> which was created by the Postgre command pg_dumpall.
> After restoring the dump and running
> /usr/share/davical/dba/update-davical-database everything is running as
> expected.
>
> This is just my experience...
> http://wiki.davical.org/w/Update-davical-database helped me performing
> the upgrade.
>
> Hope it helps...
>

Thank you.  It worked perfectly!

Best
Lukas

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Virtualization & Cloud Management Using Capacity Planning
Cloud computing makes use of virtualization - but cloud computing
also focuses on allowing computing to be delivered as a service.
http://www.accelacomm.com/jaw/sfnl/114/51521223/
_______________________________________________
Davical-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/davical-general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Upgrading vom 0.9.9.5 to 1.0.2 while restoring Postgresql dump

lukas.ruf
Dear all


Lukas Ruf [22.02.2012 10:19]:

>
> Christian Benz [16.02.2012 08:15]:
>> Am 15.02.2012 21:19, schrieb Lukas Ruf:
>>> .
>>> For quite a while, I have been happily running davical 0.9.9.5 on a
>>> debain old-stable server -- and regularly dumped the DB to a separate
>>> NAS device.  Recently, the server has gone, unfortunately.
>>>
>>> Now, my questions after having setup Debian/Squeeze on a new server:
>>>
>>> * Is it possible to restore the dumps of 0.9.9.5 directly into a 1.0.2
>>> installation?
>>>
>>> * If not, can I apply some modifications to the dump to make it work on
>>> a 1.0.2 installation?
>>>
>>> * If neither, do I need to install then 0.9.9.5 first, and apply the
>>> upgrades up to 1.0.2?
>>>
>

The following sequence of steps worked perfectly:

* Dump the DB
* Drop the DB
* Create the DB
* Load the DB with the dumped data
* update the DB


  sudo su - postgres

  pg_dump -f davical.pgdump --clean --encoding=UTF8 davical

  dropdb davical

  createdb --owner davical_dba --encoding UTF8 \
     --lc-ctype en_US.UTF8 --lc-collate en_US.UTF8 \
     --template template0 davical

  psql -f davical.pgdump -d davical

  /usr/share/davical/dba/update-davical-database

  exit

*Important*: The correct specification of the character encoding is
crucial.  If forgetting, you run into troubles of loosing data without
noticing...

Thanks for your support.

Lukas

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep Your Developer Skills Current with LearnDevNow!
The most comprehensive online learning library for Microsoft developers
is just $99.99! Visual Studio, SharePoint, SQL - plus HTML5, CSS3, MVC3,
Metro Style Apps, more. Free future releases when you subscribe now!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/learndevnow-d2d
_______________________________________________
Davical-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/davical-general