[Davical-general] Virtualising existing server

[Davical-general] Virtualising existing server

Cameron Biggart
Hi Listers

We have an old (Debian 4.0) server with DaviCal (no idea which version but the files in /usr/share/davical/htdocs have a date stamp of 22/10/2009). I want to virtualise this server but the virtual migration assistant says the Debian is too old and doesn't have a supported Grub boot loader.

I'm looking for options? The easiest should probably be start a new virtual host and install a flavour of Linux then do a fresh install of DaviCal - but how do I migrate the users and appointments across? Or do I just cut and run and say the old calendar stays where it is but the new one is 'here' and binds to Active Directory instead of the Ipswitch iMail LDAP?

Thoughts anyone?
--

Yaffa  Cameron Biggart
 IT Director

Yaffa Media Pty Ltd
17-21 Bellevue St, Surry Hills NSW 2010

T: 02 9213 8333
[hidden email]
www.yaffa.com.au

Re: Virtualising existing server

Florian Schlichting-2
Hi Cameron,

> I'm looking for options? The easiest should probably be start a new virtual
> host and install a flavour of Linux then do a fresh install of DaviCal - but
> how do I migrate the users and appointments across? Or do I just cut and run
> and say the old calendar stays where it is but the new one is 'here' and
> binds to Active Directory instead of the Ipswitch iMail LDAP?

Davical keeps both users and their data in its Postgres database, so you
could just dump that on the old host and restore it on the new one.

If that fails e.g. because current postgres versions don't want to
accept the syntax used for some functions in older davical versions, you
could start with a fresh davical setup, create your users through an
LDAP sync run, and then import backups of the individual
calendars/collections.

See https://wiki.davical.org/index.php/Backups for some of the details
(please amend where necessary).

Florian