[Davical-general] calendars, OS X Mountain Lion, OS X Mavericks, and iOS

[Davical-general] calendars, OS X Mountain Lion, OS X Mavericks, and iOS

David Newman
On 12/18/13 9:38 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> CardDAV contant app should be working with the commit:

https://github.com/DAViCal/davical/commit/03c34598e60f4766fb3bda492d7b4f9dc04cd54b

After applying this patch, there are now three other problems with
calendars:

1. On a work calendar -- called Work -- calendar events created in OS X
not visible on iOS. This is true with Mountain Lion and Mavericks.
Entries in a personal calendar -- called Home -- are visible on both iOS
and OS X devices. Both calendars have identical privileges.

2. Same thing the other way around -- Work calendar events created in
iOS are not visible in OS X.

3. CalDAVZap sees both Work and Home records, but reports the incorrect
timezone on Mavericks-created records (UTC, not UTC-8). The timezone is
correct (UTC-8) for records created in Mountain Lion.

In DAViCAL, both calendars are configured with an unknown timezone, and
both Mountain Lion and Mavericks systems use UTC-8.

All this is with DAViCal 1.1.2 with Ján Máté's 20130514 patches and
these new Mavericks patches.

The only entries in the server's Apache error log are warnings that
CalDAVZap loads slowly, which is not surprising given that the Work
calendar has thousands of entries.

How to fix these issues?

thanks

dn

ps. The caldav-PUT-vcard.php patch includes a commented-out section at
line 128 that looks like specific session and calendar IDs -- is the
user supposed to edit these, and if so how?

Re: calendars, OS X Mountain Lion, OS X Mavericks, and iOS

David Newman
On 12/22/13 10:55 AM, David Newman wrote:

>> Hello list,
>>
>> CardDAV contant app should be working with the commit:
>>
> https://github.com/DAViCal/davical/commit/03c34598e60f4766fb3bda492d7b4f9dc04cd54b
>
> After applying this patch, there are now three other problems with
> calendars:
>
> 1. On a work calendar -- called Work -- calendar events created in OS X
> not visible on iOS. This is true with Mountain Lion and Mavericks.
> Entries in a personal calendar -- called Home -- are visible on both iOS
> and OS X devices. Both calendars have identical privileges.
>
> 2. Same thing the other way around -- Work calendar events created in
> iOS are not visible in OS X.
>
> 3. CalDAVZap sees both Work and Home records, but reports the incorrect
> timezone on Mavericks-created records (UTC, not UTC-8). The timezone is
> correct (UTC-8) for records created in Mountain Lion.

One other note: Creating a new calendar resolves issues 1 and 2 but not
issue 3; CalDAVZap displays entries created in Mavericks and iOS 7 with
UTC timestamps even though both systems use UTC-8.

I didn't mention before that the "Work" calendar was the DAViCAL default
calendar, and I probably renamed it from some long machine name to
"Work" (sorry, this was a long time ago, and I don't remember).

How to either get the default calendar working, or transfer all its
contents to a new calendar?

Also, how to resolve the timestamp issue?

thanks

dn

> In DAViCAL, both calendars are configured with an unknown timezone, and
> both Mountain Lion and Mavericks systems use UTC-8.
>
> All this is with DAViCal 1.1.2 with Ján Máté's 20130514 patches and
> these new Mavericks patches.
>
> The only entries in the server's Apache error log are warnings that
> CalDAVZap loads slowly, which is not surprising given that the Work
> calendar has thousands of entries.
>
> How to fix these issues?
>
> thanks
>
> dn
>
> ps. The caldav-PUT-vcard.php patch includes a commented-out section at
> line 128 that looks like specific session and calendar IDs -- is the
> user supposed to edit these, and if so how?

Re: calendars, OS X Mountain Lion, OS X Mavericks, and iOS

Ján Máté-2
Hi David,

can you please share an example event definition with incorrectly detected timezone in CalDavZAP?

JM

On 12/22/13 11:40 AM, Ján Máté wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> can you please share an example event definition with incorrectly detected timezone in CalDavZAP?

Here's a calendar with two entries exported from Calendar.app (sorry, I
don't know how to export from CalDavZAP).

In Apple devices, the events "tejay 1117" and "atapuma 1118" occur at 1
pm and 2 pm Pacific standard time (UTC-8), respectively.

In CalDavZAP with the timezone set to "America/Los_Angeles", "tejay1117"
is at 4 am but "atapuma 1118" is at 2 pm.

With the timezone set to "Local time", "tejay1117" is at 1 pm but
"atapuma 1118" is at 11 pm.

For reference, "tejay1117" was created in Mountain Lion and
"atapuma1118" was created in Mavericks.

dn

dnWork2.ics (1K) Download Attachment

Re: calendars, OS X Mountain Lion, OS X Mavericks, and iOS

mu3pheih
Hi David,

On 12/22/13 19:55, David Newman wrote:

> After applying this patch, there are now three other problems with
> calendars:

These "problems" where introduced with the newest or were present before
as well?

> 1. On a work calendar -- called Work -- calendar events created in OS X
> not visible on iOS. This is true with Mountain Lion and Mavericks.
> Entries in a personal calendar -- called Home -- are visible on both iOS
> and OS X devices. Both calendars have identical privileges.

Do you get any error messages on OSX or iOS?
Have you checked the webserver logs (where Davical is hosted)?

On 12/22/13 4:08 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> On 12/22/13 19:55, David Newman wrote:
>
>> After applying this patch, there are now three other problems with
>> calendars:
>
> These "problems" where introduced with the newest or were present before
> as well?

This started with these patches. However I did re-apply Ján Máté's
20130514 patches, and then re-apply the Mavericks patch branch.

>> 1. On a work calendar -- called Work -- calendar events created in OS X
>> not visible on iOS. This is true with Mountain Lion and Mavericks.
>> Entries in a personal calendar -- called Home -- are visible on both iOS
>> and OS X devices. Both calendars have identical privileges.
>
> Do you get any error messages on OSX or iOS?
> Have you checked the webserver logs (where Davical is hosted)?

No errors in the Apache logs wrt calendar event creation.

No errors in the OS X Console.

For iOS, a new entry in the Work calendar produces some complaints about
not being to send notifications about a previously deleted event. I've
pasted the output here:

http://pastebin.com/nS3SAm8k

Thanks in advance for troubleshooting clues. Not sure why this works OK
with two calendars but fails with another.

dn

On 12/23/13 01:55, David Newman wrote:
> This started with these patches. However I did re-apply Ján Máté's
> 20130514 patches, and then re-apply the Mavericks patch branch.

You mean that the Davical master
(http://repo.or.cz/w/davical.git/shortlog/refs/heads/master) was working
OK for you on the CalDav side but not on the CardDav (ex. Contacts.app)
side?

>> Do you get any error messages on OSX or iOS?
>> Have you checked the webserver logs (where Davical is hosted)?
>
> No errors in the Apache logs wrt calendar event creation.

Can you enable debug logging?
Check, http://wiki.davical.org/index.php?title=Debugging

> For iOS, a new entry in the Work calendar produces some complaints about
> not being to send notifications about a previously deleted event. I've
> pasted the output here:
>
> http://pastebin.com/nS3SAm8k
>
> Thanks in advance for troubleshooting clues. Not sure why this works OK
> with two calendars but fails with another.

Re-try your testing by using a new user account with Davical this way
you can debug and troubleshoot the issues easier.
Additionally note the specific versions (with release numbers and the
exact OS version) of the devices you are using.

On 12/22/13 5:41 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> On 12/23/13 01:55, David Newman wrote:
>> This started with these patches. However I did re-apply Ján Máté's
>> 20130514 patches, and then re-apply the Mavericks patch branch.
>
> You mean that the Davical master
> (http://repo.or.cz/w/davical.git/shortlog/refs/heads/master) was working
> OK for you on the CalDav side but not on the CardDav (ex. Contacts.app)
> side?

Other way around: The Mavericks patch branch fixed the Contacts.app
issue in Mavericks. Possibly related, or not (see below), I'm having
trouble with calendar entries across devices.

>>> Do you get any error messages on OSX or iOS?
>>> Have you checked the webserver logs (where Davical is hosted)?
>>
>> No errors in the Apache logs wrt calendar event creation.
>
> Can you enable debug logging?
> Check, http://wiki.davical.org/index.php?title=Debugging

Sorry, but which file? The wiki doesn't say where these commands go.

>> For iOS, a new entry in the Work calendar produces some complaints about
>> not being to send notifications about a previously deleted event. I've
>> pasted the output here:
>>
>> http://pastebin.com/nS3SAm8k
>>
>> Thanks in advance for troubleshooting clues. Not sure why this works OK
>> with two calendars but fails with another.
>
> Re-try your testing by using a new user account with Davical this way
> you can debug and troubleshoot the issues easier.

Good idea. In the new account, both OS X and iOS devices see each
other's calendar entries.

In the existing account, both OS X and iOS devices see each other's
entries in all but one calendar.

Thus, there's something wrong with that one calendar. Not sure if that
debugging command will help find it (or if there's something relevant in
that pastebin error link above).

Also, the timezones are still wrong in CalDavZAP but that's a different
issue.

> Additionally note the specific versions (with release numbers and the
> exact OS version) of the devices you are using.

OS X: 10.8.5 (12F45) and 10.9.1 (sorry, I don't have this machine at the
moment)

iOS: 7.0.4 (11B554a)

thanks again

dn

Re: calendars, OS X Mountain Lion, OS X Mavericks, and iOS

davical-3
Hi David!

> On 12/22/13 10:55 AM, David Newman wrote:
>>> Hello list,
>>>
>>> CardDAV contant app should be working with the commit:
>>>
>> https://github.com/DAViCal/davical/commit/03c34598e60f4766fb3bda492d7b4f9dc04cd54b
>>
>> After applying this patch, there are now three other problems with
>> calendars:
>>
>> 1. On a work calendar -- called Work -- calendar events created in OS X
>> not visible on iOS. This is true with Mountain Lion and Mavericks.
>> Entries in a personal calendar -- called Home -- are visible on both iOS
>> and OS X devices. Both calendars have identical privileges.
>>
>> 2. Same thing the other way around -- Work calendar events created in
>> iOS are not visible in OS X.
>>
>> 3. CalDAVZap sees both Work and Home records, but reports the incorrect
>> timezone on Mavericks-created records (UTC, not UTC-8). The timezone is
>> correct (UTC-8) for records created in Mountain Lion.

> One other note: Creating a new calendar resolves issues 1 and 2 but not
> issue 3; CalDAVZap displays entries created in Mavericks and iOS 7 with
> UTC timestamps even though both systems use UTC-8.

> I didn't mention before that the "Work" calendar was the DAViCAL default
> calendar, and I probably renamed it from some long machine name to
> "Work" (sorry, this was a long time ago, and I don't remember).

> How to either get the default calendar working, or transfer all its
> contents to a new calendar?

One thing I noticed some time ago (probably the switch form iOS 5 to 6, or a
switch to another Major Release of OSX), to never ever rename the
calenders/contacts in Davical.
So keep the long machine names instead of renaming them.

Resolving this issue I exported the old calender, created a new calender and
imported all entries in this new calender.

Don't have a solution vor CalDAVZav.

HTH
Christian

On 12/26/13 12:56 AM, Christian 'Rana' Schlegel wrote:

> One thing I noticed some time ago (probably the switch form iOS 5 to 6, or a
> switch to another Major Release of OSX), to never ever rename the
> calenders/contacts in Davical.
> So keep the long machine names instead of renaming them.
>
> Resolving this issue I exported the old calender, created a new calender and
> imported all entries in this new calender.

Thanks, Christian -- this is good advice.

At this point I've narrowed down the problem to one or more corrupt
entries, possibly from the Lightning extension to Thunderbird, in one
calendar.

All other calendars share data just fine between iOS and OS X clients.

There is one entry in Lightning that doesn't appear in the SQL database.
iOS 7.0.4 clients complain at startup about this item:

http://pastebin.com/nS3SAm8k

I've found this item's uid and deleted that row from the calender_item
table in Postgresql but the problem persists of iOS clients still being
unable to read items from this calendar.

Also, I can't delete that bad item from Lightning, with the server
returning a 500 error (this was true before and after I deleted the
entry in postgres).

Exporting this calendar in Calendar.app works OK, but Davical doesn't
import it into a new calendar. Unsure how to enable further debugging to
find and eliminate the bad calendar entries.

Thanks in advance for further debugging clues.

dn

Re: calendars, OS X Mountain Lion, OS X Mavericks, and iOS [SOLVED]

David Newman
On 12/26/13 11:52 AM, David Newman wrote:

> At this point I've narrowed down the problem to one or more corrupt
> entries, possibly from the Lightning extension to Thunderbird, in one
> calendar.
>
> All other calendars share data just fine between iOS and OS X clients.
>
> There is one entry in Lightning that doesn't appear in the SQL database.
> iOS 7.0.4 clients complain at startup about this item:
>
> http://pastebin.com/nS3SAm8k
>
> I've found this item's uid and deleted that row from the calender_item
> table in Postgresql but the problem persists of iOS clients still being
> unable to read items from this calendar.

OK, solved this. After deleting the bad item from the database, I took
the iOS devices offline, then deleted their subscriptions, then brought
them back online and recreated the subscriptions. All devices now read
one another's items.

I haven't tried fixing Lightning yet but I suspect it will behave the
same way once I delete and re-subscribe.

The only outstanding item at this point is timezone displays in
CalDavZAP but that's unrelated to the issue of not seeing calendar items.

Thanks all for your help.

dn

Re: calendars, OS X Mountain Lion, OS X Mavericks, and iOS [SOLVED]

Ján Máté-2
Hi David,

thanks for e-mails with example .ics files. Will fix in the next version …

JM

On 26 Dec 2013, at 21:33, David Newman <[hidden email]> wrote:

The only outstanding item at this point is timezone displays in
CalDavZAP but that's unrelated to the issue of not seeing calendar items.

Re: calendars, OS X Mountain Lion, OS X Mavericks, and iOS [SOLVED]

David Newman
Thanks, Ján!

Also: Have you considered adding your excellent patches as a branch on
github?

Right now I'm running both your patches and that Mavericks patch, which
requires some editing by hand (eek!) to get both patches in place. With
both on github, users should be able to merge the two branches.

Thanks again

dn

On 27 Dec 2013, at 00:29, David Newman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks, Ján!
>
> Also: Have you considered adding your excellent patches as a branch on
> github?
>
> Right now I'm running both your patches and that Mavericks patch, which
> requires some editing by hand (eek!) to get both patches in place. With
> both on github, users should be able to merge the two branches.

nearly all my patches are added to github by somebody else … but I will maybe ask for write permission to repo.or.cz (DAViCal main repository) from Andrew ...

The timezone problem you reported is fixed in the CalDavZAP 0.10.0rc5 - from the changelog "added support/mapping for alternative timezone names - e.g. 'US/Pacific' (legacy name) is mapped to 'America/Los_Angeles' (current name)":

demo: http://www.inf-it.com/caldavzap-new/
changelog: http://www.inf-it.com/caldavzap-new/changelog.txt
download: http://www.inf-it.com/CalDavZAP_0.10.0rc5.zip

the final release is coming soon (there are only very few non-functional bugs - usually related to new design) … the 0.10.0rc5 is MUCH better than the latest stable release ...

JM

On 1/16/14 3:51 AM, Ján Máté wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> On 27 Dec 2013, at 00:29, David Newman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, Ján!
>>
>> Also: Have you considered adding your excellent patches as a branch on
>> github?
>>
>> Right now I'm running both your patches and that Mavericks patch, which
>> requires some editing by hand (eek!) to get both patches in place. With
>> both on github, users should be able to merge the two branches.
>
> nearly all my patches are added to github by somebody else … but I will maybe ask for write permission to repo.or.cz (DAViCal main repository) from Andrew ...

That would be good. At least for me, Davical+Mavericks requires both
both your patches and one GitHub branch, which invites
order-of-operations issues when patching.

> The timezone problem you reported is fixed in the CalDavZAP 0.10.0rc5 - from the changelog "added support/mapping for alternative timezone names - e.g. 'US/Pacific' (legacy name) is mapped to 'America/Los_Angeles' (current name)":
>
> demo: http://www.inf-it.com/caldavzap-new/
> changelog: http://www.inf-it.com/caldavzap-new/changelog.txt
> download: http://www.inf-it.com/CalDavZAP_0.10.0rc5.zip
>
> the final release is coming soon (there are only very few non-functional bugs - usually related to new design) … the 0.10.0rc5 is MUCH better than the latest stable release ...

Thanks, Ján! I'll try these out.

dn