[Davical-general] davical and android's aCal.

[Davical-general] davical and android's aCal.

lukas.ruf
Dear all

I make use of davical for thunderbird and iCal on Macs as well as iPhones.

Recently, I bought aCal from the android market.

There, however, I cannot connect with using the exact same setting.

Does anybody have had the same experience?

Thanks for any support.

Best
Lukas

Re: davical and android's aCal.

Christoph Steidl
hi,

--On Mittwoch, Februar 22, 2012 10:22:16 +0100 Lukas Ruf <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> There, however, I cannot connect with using the exact same setting.
>
> Does anybody have had the same experience?

you will have to add the url without the exact collection...

so if you e.g. configure lightning to url:

   https://server/caldav.php/username/calendar

acal wants:

   https://server/caldav.php/username/

> Thanks for any support.
>
> Best
> Lukas

cheers,
chris

Re: davical and android's aCal.

Oliver Schinagl
Bought? I use f-droid's Opensource market and it's there available for
free. I thought it was free also in the regular android market if i'm
not mistaken.

On 22-02-12 10:22, Lukas Ruf wrote:

> Dear all
>
> I make use of davical for thunderbird and iCal on Macs as well as iPhones.
>
> Recently, I bought aCal from the android market.
>
> There, however, I cannot connect with using the exact same setting.
>
> Does anybody have had the same experience?
>
> Thanks for any support.
>
> Best
> Lukas

Re: davical and android's aCal.

Christoph Steidl
hi,

--On Mittwoch, Februar 22, 2012 10:37:15 +0100 Oliver Schinagl
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Bought? I use f-droid's Opensource market and it's there available for
> free. I thought it was free also in the regular android market if i'm
> not mistaken.

no, there's a little fee on, in normal android market...
i think its o.k. to pay just 1.xx EUR (i think as donation for andrew) for
a calendar-app that is open source.

since i is open source you perhaps want to build it on your own or get it
just from an other pre-compiled source.

> On 22-02-12 10:22, Lukas Ruf wrote:
>> Dear all
>>
>> I make use of davical for thunderbird and iCal on Macs as well as
>> iPhones.
>>
>> Recently, I bought aCal from the android market.
>>
>> There, however, I cannot connect with using the exact same setting.
>>
>> Does anybody have had the same experience?
>>
>> Thanks for any support.
>>
>> Best
>> Lukas

cheers,
chris

Re: davical and android's aCal.

lukas.ruf
Hi Christoph

Christoph Steidl [22.02.2012 10:27]:

> --On Mittwoch, Februar 22, 2012 10:22:16 +0100 Lukas Ruf
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> There, however, I cannot connect with using the exact same setting.
>>
>> Does anybody have had the same experience?
>
> you will have to add the url without the exact collection...
>
> so if you e.g. configure lightning to url:
>
>   https://server/caldav.php/username/calendar
>
> acal wants:
>
>   https://server/caldav.php/username/

Thanks.  I noticed now that -- at least in the pop-up message -- the
aCal-app strips off any port, i.e.

        https://server:8443/caldav.php/username/

becomes

        https://server/caldav.php/username/

Any idea?

wbr
Lukas

Re: davical and android's aCal.

Christoph Steidl
hi lukas,

--On Mittwoch, Februar 22, 2012 11:07:16 +0100 Lukas Ruf <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Christoph
>
> Christoph Steidl [22.02.2012 10:27]:
>>
>> --On Mittwoch, Februar 22, 2012 10:22:16 +0100 Lukas Ruf
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> There, however, I cannot connect with using the exact same setting.
>>>
>>> Does anybody have had the same experience?
>>
>> you will have to add the url without the exact collection...
>>
>> so if you e.g. configure lightning to url:
>>
>>   https://server/caldav.php/username/calendar
>>
>> acal wants:
>>
>>   https://server/caldav.php/username/
>>

> Thanks.  I noticed now that -- at least in the pop-up message -- the
> aCal-app strips off any port, i.e.
>
> https://server:8443/caldav.php/username/
>
> becomes
>
> https://server/caldav.php/username/
>
> Any idea?

yes, you will have to go to the server-settings:
Configuration --> Server

- here klick the 'extended' button. don't know the correct naming of
  the button in the english version...
  (in my german version its named 'Erweitert')
- scroll down to the bottom
- activate 'Use SSL' (DE: 'SSL verwenden')
- below that checkbox you can define the SSL-Serverport (Serverport)
  default is 443 i think...

> wbr
> Lukas

cheers,
chris

--

netcar24 GmbH

Systems Engineer

Technologiezentrum Koblenz
Universitätsstrasse 3
56070 Koblenz

Geschäftsführer / CEO: Michael Deuse
Geschäftsführer / CTO: Karsten Stoppe
Amtsgericht Koblenz HRB 20055

HOTLINE: +49-1805-808444 *)
FAX:     +49-261-8854350

[hidden email]
www.netcar24.com
www.re-fleet.com

Autohausverwaltung für Profis
Softwaresolutions for automotive retail

*) 14Cent/min aus dem deutschen Festnetz
   max. 42Cent/min aus dem Mobilfunknetz

E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten  haben, informieren Sie bitte sofort
netcar24 und vernichten Sie diese Mail. Das unerlaubte Kopieren
sowie die unbefugte Weitergabe dieser Mail ist nicht  gestattet.

Disclaimer: This email and any files transmitted with it are
confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity
to whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient,
please notify netcar24 immediately and delete this email from your
system. Please note that any views or opinions presented in this email
are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of
the company. Finally, the recipient should check this email and any
attachments for the presence of viruses.
Although this message was scanned for viruses before being sent, the
company accepts no liability for any loss, damage or expense resulting
directly or indirectly from the access of this e-mail or any attached
files.

Re: davical and android's aCal.

lukas.ruf
Hi Christoph

Christoph Steidl [22.02.2012 11:30]:

> --On Mittwoch, Februar 22, 2012 11:07:16 +0100 Lukas Ruf <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Christoph
>>
>> Christoph Steidl [22.02.2012 10:27]:
>>>
>>> --On Mittwoch, Februar 22, 2012 10:22:16 +0100 Lukas Ruf

>>> you will have to add the url without the exact collection...
>>>
>>> so if you e.g. configure lightning to url:
>>>
>>>   https://server/caldav.php/username/calendar
>>>
>>> acal wants:
>>>
>>>   https://server/caldav.php/username/
>>>

>> Thanks.  I noticed now that -- at least in the pop-up message -- the
>> aCal-app strips off any port, i.e.
>>
>> https://server:8443/caldav.php/username/
>>
>> becomes
>>
>> https://server/caldav.php/username/
>>
>> Any idea?
>
> yes, you will have to go to the server-settings:
> Configuration --> Server
>
> - here klick the 'extended' button. don't know the correct naming of
>   the button in the english version...
>   (in my german version its named 'Erweitert')
> - scroll down to the bottom
> - activate 'Use SSL' (DE: 'SSL verwenden')
> - below that checkbox you can define the SSL-Serverport (Serverport)
>   default is 443 i think...

Thank you.  I have done this, however, it does not work either.

Could it be that we use a self-signed certificate for improved security?

Can I install somewhere my Root-CA certificate?

wbr
Lukas

PS: I'll be back only tonight....

Re: davical and android's aCal.

Vincent Van Houtte
On Wed, 22 Feb 2012 11:36:59 +0100, Lukas Ruf wrote:

> Could it be that we use a self-signed certificate for improved
> security?

That should not be a problem: we use self-signed certificates with
Apache on Debian stable (DAViCal 0.9.9.7 and current aCal).

Once DAViCal is set up correctly, I don't see any possible problems
with aCal? All settings are described in the wiki, no?

Vincent

On Wed, 2012-02-22 at 10:37 +0100, Oliver Schinagl wrote:
> Bought? I use f-droid's Opensource market and it's there available for
> free. I thought it was free also in the regular android market if i'm
> not mistaken.

No, it's free software, but it's in the Android market for a token
amount.  This helps to discourage people from downloading it
accidentally thinking it is a general purpose calendar, and also buys me
the occasional beer :-)

Cheers,
                                        Andrew.
The goal of good engineering is not to ask "what if?", but to ask
"how do I make this work as well as possible". -- Linus Torvalds

On Wed, 2012-02-22 at 11:36 +0100, Lukas Ruf wrote:

> >> Thanks.  I noticed now that -- at least in the pop-up message -- the
> >> aCal-app strips off any port, i.e.
> >>
> >> https://server:8443/caldav.php/username/
> >>
> >> becomes
> >>
> >> https://server/caldav.php/username/
> >>
> >> Any idea?
> >
> > yes, you will have to go to the server-settings:
> > Configuration --> Server
> >
> > - here klick the 'extended' button. don't know the correct naming of
> >   the button in the english version...
> >   (in my german version its named 'Erweitert')
> > - scroll down to the bottom
> > - activate 'Use SSL' (DE: 'SSL verwenden')
> > - below that checkbox you can define the SSL-Serverport (Serverport)
> >   default is 443 i think...
Is your DAViCal server running in a subdirectory on the server
like /calendar/ ?

In general aCal should use the same kind of configuration URL as you
might use for an iPhone (rather than a calendar URL like Lightning).

Ideally it should be sufficient to set:

Username: username
Password: s3cr3t
URL to server: https://server.domain.tld:8443/path/to/caldav.php/

If you have problems, try choosing "Manual Configuration" to start from
a completely blank config and then just enter those three things in.

aCal *does* expect you to be running a recent version of DAViCal.  While
it might work OK with older versions almost all testing is done against
the current production release (at this point 1.0.2).

> Thank you.  I have done this, however, it does not work either.
>
> Could it be that we use a self-signed certificate for improved security?
>
> Can I install somewhere my Root-CA certificate?

aCal does not currently check certificate authenticity through any
'trust' path.  It just uses the certificate received from the server (or
from some man-in-the-middle, if you're paranoid).

At some point I'll add the ability to accept the certificate on first
connection so it can throw an error if the certificate signature
changes.

Cheers,
                                        Andrew.

    I have not seen high-discipline processes succeed in commercial
                     settings. - Alistair Cockburn