[Davical-general] one calendar for multiple users

[Davical-general] one calendar for multiple users

Sebastian Wild
Hi there,

maybe you could help me since I don't get this worked out...

Followinig constellation:

Davical Server with agendav as webfrontend for calendar access

there is a user called e.g. 'user1' who has a calendar.
Accessing this calender via caldav or agendav with user1 works fine.

now I created a user called 'user2' which I want to have full access to
this calendar while user1 should only have read access.
So I created user2 and granted all privileges on user1 and also all
privileges on the calendar of user1 to this one and revoked all but the
read permissions from user1.

However if I log into agendav as user2 I don't see the calender of
user1, just see the calendar of user2 or none if I delete that.

I don't quite get this fixed :(

Maybe anyone here has a solution?

greets
Sebastian

Re: one calendar for multiple users

Jim Fenton
Sebastian,

I'm not familiar with agendav, but my family uses shared calendars
extensively with iOS, MacOS, and Thunderbird/Lightning.  on MacOS it's
possible to use delegation, but on iOS it doesn't seem to be possible.
So we need to add each family member's calendar separately by using the
proper URL for the calendar but then the user's own username and
password.  So in your example, user2 might do the following:

Username: user2
Password: ********
Account URL: https://cal.example.com:8443/caldav.php/user1/

Not as convenient as delegation, but it works.

Hope this helps.

-Jim

On 11/13/2013 04:21 AM, Sebastian Wild wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> maybe you could help me since I don't get this worked out...
>
> Followinig constellation:
>
> Davical Server with agendav as webfrontend for calendar access
>
> there is a user called e.g. 'user1' who has a calendar.
> Accessing this calender via caldav or agendav with user1 works fine.
>
> now I created a user called 'user2' which I want to have full access to
> this calendar while user1 should only have read access.
> So I created user2 and granted all privileges on user1 and also all
> privileges on the calendar of user1 to this one and revoked all but the
> read permissions from user1.
>
> However if I log into agendav as user2 I don't see the calender of
> user1, just see the calendar of user2 or none if I delete that.
>
> I don't quite get this fixed :(
>
> Maybe anyone here has a solution?
>
> greets
> Sebastian

Re: one calendar for multiple users

Christoph Steidl
hi,

--On Donnerstag, November 14, 2013 14:10:05 -0800 Jim Fenton
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sebastian,
>
> I'm not familiar with agendav, but my family uses shared calendars
> extensively with iOS, MacOS, and Thunderbird/Lightning.  on MacOS it's
> possible to use delegation, but on iOS it doesn't seem to be possible.
> So we need to add each family member's calendar separately by using the
> proper URL for the calendar but then the user's own username and
> password.  So in your example, user2 might do the following:
>
> Username: user2
> Password: ********
> Account URL: https://cal.example.com:8443/caldav.php/user1/
>
> Not as convenient as delegation, but it works.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> -Jim
>
> On 11/13/2013 04:21 AM, Sebastian Wild wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> maybe you could help me since I don't get this worked out...
>>
>> Followinig constellation:
>>
>> Davical Server with agendav as webfrontend for calendar access
>>
>> there is a user called e.g. 'user1' who has a calendar.
>> Accessing this calender via caldav or agendav with user1 works fine.
>>
>> now I created a user called 'user2' which I want to have full access to
>> this calendar while user1 should only have read access.
>> So I created user2 and granted all privileges on user1 and also all
>> privileges on the calendar of user1 to this one and revoked all but the
>> read permissions from user1.
>>
>> However if I log into agendav as user2 I don't see the calender of
>> user1, just see the calendar of user2 or none if I delete that.
>>
>> I don't quite get this fixed :(
>>
>> Maybe anyone here has a solution?
>>
>> greets
>> Sebastian

i had sometimes problems (depending on the client app) to use calendars not
in my own user-space.

if i had user1/calendar and granting full permissions for that calendar to
user2, i could not see or edit the '.../user1/calendar' with user2' login.

i resolved that with binds. to do that i fired a curl command, e.g.:

curl --basic --user 'user2' -X BIND \
-H 'Content-Type: text/xml; charset="UTF-8"' \
--insecure --url 'https://davical.example.com/caldav.php/user2/' \
-d '<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?> <bind
xmlns="DAV:"><segment>user1Calendar</segment>

cheers,
chris