Quantcast

Davical with Outlook

Lesley Longhurst
So, I'm trying to find a way to get Outlook working with DAViCal. I've
scoured the internet for Outlook plugins that implement CalDAV,
unsuccessfully.

Outlook 2007
Davical 0.9.9

Andrew suggested trying Outlook's native "Internet calendars" facility
and setting it to a url ending in "home.ics" to force iCal protocol.  I
tried it yesterday: it downloaded the calendar once, and never
communicated again.

There is a setting in Outlook called "Update limit" which is described as:
"Update this subscription with the publisher's recommendation.
Send/Receive groups do not update update more frequently than the
recommended limit to prevent your subscription from possibly being
cancelled by the content provider."
It also says "Current provider limit: Not published."

My question: does Davical have a setting that fits that description?

The obvious thing to try would be turn off that "update limit" in
Outlook but that does not seem to be making any difference. I've been
letting it sit like that for about an hour and there have been no
packets sent or received.

--
Lesley Longhurst (previously Walker)
Linux Systems Administrator

Re: Davical with Outlook

Andrew McMillan
On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 10:27 +1200, Lesley Longhurst wrote:

> So, I'm trying to find a way to get Outlook working with DAViCal. I've
> scoured the internet for Outlook plugins that implement CalDAV,
> unsuccessfully.
>
> Outlook 2007
> Davical 0.9.9
>
> Andrew suggested trying Outlook's native "Internet calendars" facility
> and setting it to a url ending in "home.ics" to force iCal protocol.  I
> tried it yesterday: it downloaded the calendar once, and never
> communicated again.
>
> There is a setting in Outlook called "Update limit" which is described as:
> "Update this subscription with the publisher's recommendation.
> Send/Receive groups do not update update more frequently than the
> recommended limit to prevent your subscription from possibly being
> cancelled by the content provider."
> It also says "Current provider limit: Not published."
>
> My question: does Davical have a setting that fits that description?
>
> The obvious thing to try would be turn off that "update limit" in
> Outlook but that does not seem to be making any difference. I've been
> letting it sit like that for about an hour and there have been no
> packets sent or received.

No, DAViCal doesn't set that.  I'm not sure what it would be looking
for.

:-(

Cheers,
                                        Andrew.

Re: Davical with Outlook

Lesley Longhurst
On 31/08/10 12:57, Andrew McMillan wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 10:27 +1200, Lesley Longhurst wrote:
>
>> There is a setting in Outlook called "Update limit" which is described as:
>> "Update this subscription with the publisher's recommendation.
>> Send/Receive groups do not update update more frequently than the
>> recommended limit to prevent your subscription from possibly being
>> cancelled by the content provider."
>> It also says "Current provider limit: Not published."
>>
>> My question: does Davical have a setting that fits that description?
>
> No, DAViCal doesn't set that.  I'm not sure what it would be looking
> for.

Darn, I was afraid you would say that.  :-(

On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 13:46 +1200, Lesley Longhurst wrote:

> On 31/08/10 12:57, Andrew McMillan wrote:
> > On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 10:27 +1200, Lesley Longhurst wrote:
> >
> >> There is a setting in Outlook called "Update limit" which is described as:
> >> "Update this subscription with the publisher's recommendation.
> >> Send/Receive groups do not update update more frequently than the
> >> recommended limit to prevent your subscription from possibly being
> >> cancelled by the content provider."
> >> It also says "Current provider limit: Not published."
> >>
> >> My question: does Davical have a setting that fits that description?
> >
> > No, DAViCal doesn't set that.  I'm not sure what it would be looking
> > for.
> >

> Darn, I was afraid you would say that.  :-(
Well, perhaps someone else on the list has used Outlook and knows some
magic answer about this.

Cheers,
                                        Andrew.

Re: Davical with Outlook

Michael Fladerer
On Tue Aug 31, 2010 at 14:09:01 +1200, Andrew McMillan wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-08-31 at 13:46 +1200, Lesley Longhurst wrote:

> > > No, DAViCal doesn't set that.  I'm not sure what it would be looking
> > > for.
> > >

> > Darn, I was afraid you would say that.  :-(
>
> Well, perhaps someone else on the list has used Outlook and knows some
> magic answer about this.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrew.
Maybe you want to use iCal4OL[1].  My boss used to use it a couple
of months, until he decided to replace his old laptop with a MacBook and
thus uses iCal now.  He had no big concerns about iCal4OL, since he
increased the sync interval to more than just one minute.

[1] http://ical.gutentag.ch/

Cheers,
  Michael

Re: Davical with Outlook

Lesley Longhurst
On 31/08/10 22:32, Michael Fladerer wrote:
> Maybe you want to use iCal4OL[1].  My boss used to use it a couple
> of months, until he decided to replace his old laptop with a MacBook and
> thus uses iCal now.  He had no big concerns about iCal4OL, since he
> increased the sync interval to more than just one minute.
>
> [1] http://ical.gutentag.ch/

I had seen iCal4OL, and I may well try it out of curiosity, but I'm
looking for something that can be rolled out as a corporate standard to
a large number of users, and based on what I'm reading in the FAQ, it
doesn't quite seem to fit.  Like much of the software I've been checking
out, it looks as though it might be fine for individuals or a small
company but rolling it out to a large number of non-technical people
would be fraught with difficulties.

On Wed Sep 01, 2010 at 10:57:53 +1200, Lesley Longhurst wrote:

> On 31/08/10 22:32, Michael Fladerer wrote:
>> Maybe you want to use iCal4OL[1].  My boss used to use it a couple
>> of months, until he decided to replace his old laptop with a MacBook and
>> thus uses iCal now.  He had no big concerns about iCal4OL, since he
>> increased the sync interval to more than just one minute.
>>
>> [1] http://ical.gutentag.ch/
>>

> I had seen iCal4OL, and I may well try it out of curiosity, but I'm
> looking for something that can be rolled out as a corporate standard to
> a large number of users, and based on what I'm reading in the FAQ, it
> doesn't quite seem to fit.  Like much of the software I've been checking
> out, it looks as though it might be fine for individuals or a small
> company but rolling it out to a large number of non-technical people
> would be fraught with difficulties.

Probably you're right.  iCal4OL is not intended to be a corporate
solution.  I've been thinking about all that Outlook integration stuff
for a while and I guess running an Exchange-like sercer is the most
reliable solution, if Outlook will be the user-agent.  Be it MS Exchange
or any other Software which includes MAPI support, like Zarafa,
OpenExchange, etc.  As soon as it comes to MAPI support, all solutions I
know of, are comercial and mostly expensive ones.

I don't know of a plugin which really implements reliable CalDAV support
for Outlook.

Cheers,
  Michael

 Michael Fladerer

   Technische Universität Darmstadt
   Fachgebiet Numerische Berechnungsverfaren im Maschinenbau
   Netzwerk- und Systemadministration
   Dolivostraße 15
   64293 Darmstadt
   Tel: +49 (0) 61 51 / 16 - 23 84
   Fax: +49 (0) 61 51 / 16 - 44 79
   E-Mail: [hidden email]
   WWW: http://www.fnb.tu-darmstadt.de/
Achtung: GPG-Key-Überleitung!

 Alte GPG Key-ID: 3096372C
 Key fingerprint: DDC4 E77B C585 83F4 A509  BC32 3BE8 41A2 3096 372C

 Neue GPG Key-ID: EE61F443
 Key fingerprint: A56F FE73 5FCC 4FF1 2E72  360E ACE6 1874 EE61 F443