General Question about calendar rights

Marco Kammerer
Hello,

i have set up davical on debian lenny.

it is set up with 2 users called

user1
user2

they are both member to the group called

group1

the group has the principal grands
ALL > user1
ALL > user2

So that setup is not very difficult.

So i can set up a calendar for user2 on iphone and can access it with the
username and password of user1.

Question 1:
Lets say i want to add 20 users and install on 20 iphones all these 20
calenders.
The normal way i would add 20x20 = 400 calendars

Is there a way to just setup one calendar or point to some kind of file and
the server tells the client which calendars could be displayed?
So that it "downloads" a list of calendars and enables that?

If that is not possible:
Question 2:
Same story with the 20 users:

Lets say i have set up, only 1 calendar in my iphone.
Is there a way of getting a calentry also into a calendar of another user
(for example a meeting for 4 persons)?

way 1.) invitation? how can that be done.
way 2.) or add it directly, but how?

Question 3:
what is the ics file for?

Marco

Re: General Question about calendar rights

Marco Kammerer
Hello

>> i have set up davical on debian lenny.
>>
>> it is set up with 2 users called
>>
>> user1
>> user2
>>
>> they are both member to the group called
>>
>> group1
>>
>> the group has the principal grands
>> ALL > user1
>> ALL > user2
>>
>> So that setup is not very difficult.
>>

> So i can set up a calendar for user2 on iphone and can access it with the
>> username and password of user1.
>>
>> Question 1:
>> Lets say i want to add 20 users and install on 20 iphones all these 20
>> calenders.
>> The normal way i would add 20x20 = 400 calendars
>>

>> Is there a way to just setup one calendar or point to some kind of file
>> and
>> the server tells the client which calendars could be displayed?
>> So that it "downloads" a list of calendars and enables that?
>>
>Some clients will discover the user's calendars.  Most notably Apple
>iCal will do this.  It will also show the delegated access and let you
>select calendars within those delegations to be shown also.

OK, i will check out ical

>On the iPhone it will discover your own calendars automatically, but
>there is no way to show the ones you have access to.
>

>DAViCal does implement a facility to 'bind' a collection (i.e. a
>calendar or addressbook) into a different location in the namespace, so
>(e.g.) /user2/home/ could be bound to additionally appear
>as /user1/user2/ (or whatever name seemed like a good idea :-)

that sounds interessting :-)

>When collections are bound in this way they do also appear on the iPhone
>automatically, as if it were actually one of user1's collections, but
>the permissions applying are the ones that user1 normally has to that
>collection.

good

>... unfortunately there is no simple user interface to add bindings -
>they need to be added through the DAV 'BIND' method as defined in
>RFC5842: Binding extensions to WebDAV. In 0.9.9.3 there *is* a display
>of bindings (and tickets) and the ability to delete them.

well i dont understand that.
so that means the admin panel that you made, can only display them if they
were generated but there is no way of creating them?>

a very interessting thing - possibly also playing together with that is in
the admin panel
called principal collection, where i added one and it got automatically
updated on iphone and ipad, sunbird didnt do it automatically.

couldnt that be used to do the add binding?

>> If that is not possible:
>> Question 2:
>> Same story with the 20 users:
>>
>> Lets say i have set up, only 1 calendar in my iphone.
>> Is there a way of getting a calentry also into a calendar of another user
>> (for example a meeting for 4 persons)?
>>
>> way 1.) invitation? how can that be done.
>> way 2.) or add it directly, but how?
>>
>> Question 3:
>> what is the ics file for?
>
>Which ics file?  CalDAV uses iCalendar files to communicate events, and
>these commonly do have a .ics file extension.

ah ok, is davical able to do that already?

Marco

Re: General Question about calendar rights

Andrew McMillan
On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 22:51 +0200, Marco Kammerer wrote:

> >... unfortunately there is no simple user interface to add bindings -
> >they need to be added through the DAV 'BIND' method as defined in
> >RFC5842: Binding extensions to WebDAV. In 0.9.9.3 there *is* a display
> >of bindings (and tickets) and the ability to delete them.
> >
> well i dont understand that.
> so that means the admin panel that you made, can only display them if they
> were generated but there is no way of creating them?

The only way to create them at present is through a DAV request.  There
is no support yet for creating them from within the admin UI.

> a very interessting thing - possibly also playing together with that is in
> the admin panel
> called principal collection, where i added one and it got automatically
> updated on iphone and ipad, sunbird didnt do it automatically.
>
> couldnt that be used to do the add binding?

That's what I refer to as the 'Admin UI', and it doesn't (yet) support
adding new bindings.

> >> If that is not possible:
> >> Question 2:
> >> Same story with the 20 users:
> >>
> >> Lets say i have set up, only 1 calendar in my iphone.
> >> Is there a way of getting a calentry also into a calendar of another user
> >> (for example a meeting for 4 persons)?
> >>
> >> way 1.) invitation? how can that be done.
> >> way 2.) or add it directly, but how?
> >>
> >> Question 3:
> >> what is the ics file for?
> >
> >Which ics file?  CalDAV uses iCalendar files to communicate events, and
> >these commonly do have a .ics file extension.
> >
> ah ok, is davical able to do that already?
I don't understand your question, sorry.

Cheers,
                                        Andrew.

          You will have good luck and overcome many hardships.

Re: General Question about calendar rights

Marco Kammerer
>> >... unfortunately there is no simple user interface to add bindings -
>> >they need to be added through the DAV 'BIND' method as defined in
>> >RFC5842: Binding extensions to WebDAV. In 0.9.9.3 there *is* a display
>> >of bindings (and tickets) and the ability to delete them.
>> >
>> well i dont understand that.
>> so that means the admin panel that you made, can only display them if
>> they
>> were generated but there is no way of creating them?
>
>The only way to create them at present is through a DAV request.  There
>is no support yet for creating them from within the admin UI.

perfect got you, that is what i need :-)

well, if i want to add them "manually" how can that be done?

>> a very interessting thing - possibly also playing together with that is
>> in
>> the admin panel
>> called principal collection, where i added one and it got automatically
>> updated on iphone and ipad, sunbird didnt do it automatically.
>>
>> couldnt that be used to do the add binding?
>
>That's what I refer to as the 'Admin UI', and it doesn't (yet) support
>adding new bindings.

ok, do you have an timesline for that.
are other users also looking for that, or is this something individual?

>> >Which ics file?  CalDAV uses iCalendar files to communicate events, and
>> >these commonly do have a .ics file extension.
> >
>> ah ok, is davical able to do that already?
>
>I don't understand your question, sorry.

ok i try again.

these ics files can be used by clients to attache to that published
calendars.
there are a couple of free calendars out from apple which publish for
example holidays and other things to the public

can that be done simulary? that means can i attach to an calender also with
using for example

cal.domain.com/somecal.ics
instead of doing
cal.domain.com/caldav.php/somecal

so that the client makes sure that it is just readonly?

bye

On Fri, 2010-10-08 at 14:38 +0200, Marco Kammerer wrote:

> >> well i dont understand that.
> >> so that means the admin panel that you made, can only display them if
> >> they
> >> were generated but there is no way of creating them?
> >
> >The only way to create them at present is through a DAV request.  There
> >is no support yet for creating them from within the admin UI.
> >
> perfect got you, that is what i need :-)
>
> well, if i want to add them "manually" how can that be done?
Hi Marco,

The best thing is to look at what the 'binding' regression tests do in
the source code here:

http://repo.or.cz/w/davical.git/tree/HEAD:/testing/tests/binding

These .test files are parsed by the:

http://repo.or.cz/w/davical.git/blob/HEAD:/testing/dav_test

script.

Usually that' something like:

../../dav_test --test somefile.test

The .result files are slightly processed versions of the responses that
come back from those.

> >That's what I refer to as the 'Admin UI', and it doesn't (yet) support
> >adding new bindings.
> >
> ok, do you have an timesline for that.
> are other users also looking for that, or is this something individual?

No, not particularly.  In fact during the week I discovered that Apple
recently implemented a similar thing with their CalendarServer, except
that their client supports an offer/accept mechanism for creating such
shares.

I expect that before I return home I will have the Apple 'flavour' of
this interface available also, since all of the actual data and
operational aspects are already complete.  I may find time to add a UI
within the admin interface at that point, but no guarantees.

> >> ah ok, is davical able to do that already?
> >
> >I don't understand your question, sorry.
> >
> ok i try again.
>
> these ics files can be used by clients to attache to that published
> calendars.
> there are a couple of free calendars out from apple which publish for
> example holidays and other things to the public
>
> can that be done simulary? that means can i attach to an calender also with
> using for example
>
> cal.domain.com/somecal.ics
> instead of doing
> cal.domain.com/caldav.php/somecal
>
> so that the client makes sure that it is just readonly?
You can mark the calendar collection as 'public' and then access it as

 http://cal.domain.com/public.php/someuser/somecal.ics in this way.

CalDAV is different, in that it stores each event as an individual
iCalendar resource (like a directory full of event files) rather than a
whole calendar as a single file containing many events (typically a
WebDAV calendar, a 'downloadable ics file' or maybe a 'subscription').

It is better to use CalDAV if possible, as it has mechanisms to minimise
the amount of data transferred to synchronise with a client.  That said,
DAViCal does support this mechanism for making a calendar public in this
way, as if it were a single file.

Regards,
                                        Andrew McMillan.

             QOTD:
        "She's about as smart as bait."

Re: General Question about calendar rights

Marco Kammerer

>> >The only way to create them at present is through a DAV request.  There
>> >is no support yet for creating them from within the admin UI.
>> >
>> perfect got you, that is what i need :-)
>>
>> well, if i want to add them "manually" how can that be done?
>
>The best thing is to look at what the 'binding' regression tests do in
>the source code here:
>
>http://repo.or.cz/w/davical.git/tree/HEAD:/testing/tests/binding
>
>These .test files are parsed by the:
>
>http://repo.or.cz/w/davical.git/blob/HEAD:/testing/dav_test
>
>script.
>
>Usually that' something like:
>
>../../dav_test --test somefile.test
>
>The .result files are slightly processed versions of the responses that
>come back from those.
>

>> >That's what I refer to as the 'Admin UI', and it doesn't (yet) support
>> >adding new bindings.
>> >
>> ok, do you have an timesline for that.
>> are other users also looking for that, or is this something individual?
>
>No, not particularly.  In fact during the week I discovered that Apple
>recently implemented a similar thing with their CalendarServer, except
>that their client supports an offer/accept mechanism for creating such
>shares.
>
>I expect that before I return home I will have the Apple 'flavour' of
>this interface available also, since all of the actual data and
>operational aspects are already complete.  I may find time to add a UI
>within the admin interface at that point, but no guarantees.

do you have an update on that?

just to make sure that i have expressed it right:

due to the fact that ical is only able to automatically detect calendars a
user has rights to, i was thinking that binding calendars into a calendars
is the easiest way to handle that.

do you have an idea how we could handle that more easily?

marco