Merry Christmas and a Happy New DAViCal

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Merry Christmas and a Happy New DAViCal

Andrew McMillan
Hi Everyone,

After somewhat longer than I'd hoped, I have packages of DAViCal 0.9.8
now available.

The packages for DAViCal 0.9.8 are at:
  http://debian.mcmillan.net.nz/packages/davical/

And AWL version 0.39 (which is required) is at:
  http://debian.mcmillan.net.nz/packages/awl/

The release notes are at:
  http://wiki.davical.org/w/Release_Notes/0.9.8


A reasonable number of people have tested it already (thanks guys!), and
pronounced it working, but the changes in this release are extensive and
so there will be a softer release process this time.

I won't be putting these files into my Debian repository, or uploading
them to Debian or sf.net for a few days yet.

Probably I'm just being paranoid.  My feeling is that as it stands this
release is a lot more stable than 0.9.7.x, and I have tested it
extensively against Evolution 2.28, Sunbird 1.0beta, iCal3 & 4 & iPhone
3.1, as well as with my normal regression testing.

I have not been able to test this against PostgreSQL 8.1 (earlier
versions than 8.1 are not supported) and PHP 5.1 (earlier
versions of PHP are no longer supported).

Also of note is that this version commences the switchover to the PDO
libraries for database access, which may introduce an additional
dependency.

The conversion process also *attempts* to convert the old
'relationships' into the new 'groups & grants' permission model (see
http://wiki.davical.org/w/Permissions ) but there is an inevitable
disconnect between the two models that means the conversion cannot be
perfect.  It would be good to get some idea from people, particularly
people with larger and more complex databases, if the conversion process
is doing roughly the right thing for you.

The data in your databases from the old relationships will not be lost,
so if you have problems with the conversion process we should be able to
come up with some one-off SQL to achieve what you want.

This release includes substantial changes which were somewhat
interdependent, and so it has taken some time for completion.  I expect
that the coming few releases will be more incremental, and should come
reasonably rapidly now.

Regards,
                                        Andrew McMillan.


PS.
A special thank-you to NZ Registry Services who have given me a Macbook
so I can now test against iCal4, and also to Weta Digital who have given
me a Powerbook for testing against iCal3.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://andrew.mcmillan.net.nz/                     Porirua, New Zealand
Twitter: _karora                                  Phone: +64(272)DEBIAN
   It is often easier to tame a wild idea than to breathe life into a
                        dull one. -- Alex Osborn
------------------------------------------------------------------------



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Verizon Developer Community
Take advantage of Verizon's best-in-class app development support
A streamlined, 14 day to market process makes app distribution fast and easy
Join now and get one step closer to millions of Verizon customers
http://p.sf.net/sfu/verizon-dev2dev 
_______________________________________________
rscds-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/rscds-general

signature.asc (205 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Merry Christmas and a Happy New DAViCal

Matthias Fechner
Hi Andrew,

Am 24.12.2009 13:13, schrieb Andrew McMillan:
> After somewhat longer than I'd hoped, I have packages of DAViCal 0.9.8
> now available.

I installed the new version now on my FreeBSD machine, but if I execute
the update-davical-database I get the following message:

The database is version 8.1 currently at revision 1.2.4.
Applying patch 1.2.5.sql ... succeeded.
Applying patch 1.2.6.sql ... succeeded.
Applying patch 1.2.7.sql ... succeeded.
Successfully applied 3 patches.
Supported locales updated.
Updated view: dav_principal.sql applied.
CalDAV functions updated.
RRULE functions updated.
DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  role "davical_app" does not exist at
./update-davical-database line 400, <PERMS> line 20.
DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  role "davical_app" does not exist at
./update-davical-database line 400, <PERMS> line 21.
DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  role "davical_app" does not exist at
./update-davical-database line 400, <PERMS> line 22.
DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  role "davical_app" does not exist at
./update-davical-database line 400, <PERMS> line 23.
DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  role "davical_app" does not exist at
./update-davical-database line 400, <PERMS> line 24.
DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  role "davical_app" does not exist at
./update-davical-database line 400, <PERMS> line 25.
DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  role "davical_app" does not exist at
./update-davical-database line 400, <PERMS> line 26.
DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  role "davical_app" does not exist at
./update-davical-database line 400, <PERMS> line 27.
DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  role "davical_app" does not exist at
./update-davical-database line 400, <PERMS> line 28.
DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  role "davical_app" does not exist at
./update-davical-database line 400, <PERMS> line 29.
DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  role "davical_app" does not exist at
./update-davical-database line 400, <PERMS> line 30.
DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  role "davical_app" does not exist at
./update-davical-database line 400, <PERMS> line 31.
DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  role "davical_app" does not exist at
./update-davical-database line 400, <PERMS> line 32.
DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  role "davical_app" does not exist at
./update-davical-database line 400, <PERMS> line 33.
DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  role "davical_app" does not exist at
./update-davical-database line 400, <PERMS> line 34.
DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  role "davical_app" does not exist at
./update-davical-database line 400, <PERMS> line 35.
DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  role "davical_app" does not exist at
./update-davical-database line 400, <PERMS> line 36.
DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  role "davical_app" does not exist at
./update-davical-database line 400, <PERMS> line 37.
DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  role "davical_app" does not exist at
./update-davical-database line 400, <PERMS> line 38.
DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  role "davical_app" does not exist at
./update-davical-database line 400, <PERMS> line 39.
DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  role "davical_app" does not exist at
./update-davical-database line 400, <PERMS> line 42.
DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  role "davical_app" does not exist at
./update-davical-database line 400, <PERMS> line 43.
DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  role "davical_app" does not exist at
./update-davical-database line 400, <PERMS> line 44.
DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  role "davical_app" does not exist at
./update-davical-database line 400, <PERMS> line 45.
DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  role "davical_app" does not exist at
./update-davical-database line 400, <PERMS> line 46.
DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  role "davical_app" does not exist at
./update-davical-database line 400, <PERMS> line 47.
DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  role "davical_app" does not exist at
./update-davical-database line 400, <PERMS> line 48.
DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  role "davical_app" does not exist at
./update-davical-database line 400, <PERMS> line 51.
DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  role "davical_app" does not exist at
./update-davical-database line 400, <PERMS> line 54.
DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  role "davical_app" does not exist at
./update-davical-database line 400, <PERMS> line 55.
DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  role "davical_app" does not exist at
./update-davical-database line 400, <PERMS> line 56.
Database permissions updated.

Is that a problem or can I ignore it?

Thanks
Matthias

--

"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to
build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to
produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." --
Rich Cook

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Verizon Developer Community
Take advantage of Verizon's best-in-class app development support
A streamlined, 14 day to market process makes app distribution fast and easy
Join now and get one step closer to millions of Verizon customers
http://p.sf.net/sfu/verizon-dev2dev 
_______________________________________________
rscds-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/rscds-general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Merry Christmas and a Happy New DAViCal

Andrew McMillan
On Tue, 2009-12-29 at 11:08 +0100, Matthias Fechner wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> Am 24.12.2009 13:13, schrieb Andrew McMillan:
> > After somewhat longer than I'd hoped, I have packages of DAViCal 0.9.8
> > now available.
>
> I installed the new version now on my FreeBSD machine, but if I execute
> the update-davical-database I get the following message:
>
> The database is version 8.1 currently at revision 1.2.4.
> Applying patch 1.2.5.sql ... succeeded.
> Applying patch 1.2.6.sql ... succeeded.
> Applying patch 1.2.7.sql ... succeeded.
> Successfully applied 3 patches.
> Supported locales updated.
> Updated view: dav_principal.sql applied.
> CalDAV functions updated.
> RRULE functions updated.
> DBD::Pg::db do failed: ERROR:  role "davical_app" does not exist at
> ./update-davical-database line 400, <PERMS> line 20.
...

> ./update-davical-database line 400, <PERMS> line 56.
> Database permissions updated.
>
> Is that a problem or can I ignore it?

It is likely to be a problem.  Did you originally create the database
with some very old version of DAViCal which used the 'general' database
user rather than the newer releases which use 'davical_app'?

There are some options you can use for update-davical-database which
will change that over, or you can use the --appuser and --owner options
to set appropriate names when you run the update script.

The --appuser parameter should be the name that the application uses to
connect to the database, and the --owner parameter should be the name
for the DBA user which will own the database structure and tables.

See the wiki page about update-davical-database for more information.

Cheers,
                                        Andrew.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
andrew (AT) morphoss (DOT) com                            +64(272)DEBIAN
    I have not seen high-discipline processes succeed in commercial
                     settings. - Alistair Cockburn

------------------------------------------------------------------------


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Verizon Developer Community
Take advantage of Verizon's best-in-class app development support
A streamlined, 14 day to market process makes app distribution fast and easy
Join now and get one step closer to millions of Verizon customers
http://p.sf.net/sfu/verizon-dev2dev 
_______________________________________________
rscds-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/rscds-general

signature.asc (205 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Happy new Year and a Happy New DAViCal

Bruno Friedmann-2
In reply to this post by Andrew McMillan
On 12/24/2009 01:13 PM, Andrew McMillan wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> After somewhat longer than I'd hoped, I have packages of DAViCal 0.9.8
> now available.
>
> The packages for DAViCal 0.9.8 are at:
>   http://debian.mcmillan.net.nz/packages/davical/
>
> And AWL version 0.39 (which is required) is at:
>   http://debian.mcmillan.net.nz/packages/awl/
>
> The release notes are at:
>   http://wiki.davical.org/w/Release_Notes/0.9.8
>
>
> A reasonable number of people have tested it already (thanks guys!), and
> pronounced it working, but the changes in this release are extensive and
> so there will be a softer release process this time.
>
> I won't be putting these files into my Debian repository, or uploading
> them to Debian or sf.net for a few days yet.
>
> Probably I'm just being paranoid.  My feeling is that as it stands this
> release is a lot more stable than 0.9.7.x, and I have tested it
> extensively against Evolution 2.28, Sunbird 1.0beta, iCal3 & 4 & iPhone
> 3.1, as well as with my normal regression testing.
>
> I have not been able to test this against PostgreSQL 8.1 (earlier
> versions than 8.1 are not supported) and PHP 5.1 (earlier
> versions of PHP are no longer supported).
>
> Also of note is that this version commences the switchover to the PDO
> libraries for database access, which may introduce an additional
> dependency.
>
> The conversion process also *attempts* to convert the old
> 'relationships' into the new 'groups & grants' permission model (see
> http://wiki.davical.org/w/Permissions ) but there is an inevitable
> disconnect between the two models that means the conversion cannot be
> perfect.  It would be good to get some idea from people, particularly
> people with larger and more complex databases, if the conversion process
> is doing roughly the right thing for you.
>
> The data in your databases from the old relationships will not be lost,
> so if you have problems with the conversion process we should be able to
> come up with some one-off SQL to achieve what you want.
>
> This release includes substantial changes which were somewhat
> interdependent, and so it has taken some time for completion.  I expect
> that the coming few releases will be more incremental, and should come
> reasonably rapidly now.
>
> Regards,
> Andrew McMillan.

Just a note to say. I've proceed to the update on the http://caldav-test.ioda.net
which has postgresql 8.1 : everything goes smoothly .
php is 5.2x
(I'm using the tar.gz version)

I've not check all the new relationships. but the conversion of what I use
one user & multiple ressources goes right.

Thanks for the release.


Now we have to wait a decent sunbird/lightning version :-)

--

     Bruno Friedmann


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.Net email is sponsored by the Verizon Developer Community
Take advantage of Verizon's best-in-class app development support
A streamlined, 14 day to market process makes app distribution fast and easy
Join now and get one step closer to millions of Verizon customers
http://p.sf.net/sfu/verizon-dev2dev 
_______________________________________________
rscds-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/rscds-general