Re: Groups, calendars, users

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Groups, calendars, users

Narcis Garcia - GiLUG
Ok, I see now that a "Principal" is equal to any "Object" (Group,
Resource or User).
I suppose a Resource is a calendar, but it has collections and they seem
to be calendars also (addressbooks apart).

I've seen now that in every object and collection can be defined
detailed permissions for users and for groups. That's right for my purpose.

Now I need to know if different users share a single calendar
(collection), how can they see which user has created each event?


Al 07/10/12 12:10, En/na Narcis Garcia - GiLUG ha escrit:

> Hello, I've installed a DAViCal in a webserver, and now I want to create
> 4 calendars:
>
> - For me (home1)
> - For my wife (home1)
> - For a friend (home2)
> - For his wife (home2)
>
> The clients we are using are Mozilla Lightning, aCal for Andoid and
> iPhone's calendar. Everyone wants to configure only the own calendar in
> the own phone machine, but more than one calendar in the computer (with
> M.Lightning). Everyone wants to write/read the own calendar, but read
> another one.
>
> - I want to have r/w access to my calendar, and read access to my wife
> one. No access to anybody else's calendar.
> - My wife to have r/w access to her calendar, and read access to mine.
> No access to anybody else's calendar.
> - My friend to have r/w access to his calendar, and read access to his
> wife's one. No access to anybody else's calendar.
> - The wife of my friend to have r/w access to her calendar, and read
> access to his husband's one. No access to anybody else's calendar.
>
> I don't know what means a "Principal", but I've created one for me and
> one for my wife. I see that there are 2 calendars now, but both are
> accessible from both accounts without giving special permissions. Do I
> need to create groups and restrict something?
>
> In which order do I need to create groups, users and resources to share
> calendars between members of a group but not between groups?
>
> Thanks.
>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't let slow site performance ruin your business. Deploy New Relic APM
Deploy New Relic app performance management and know exactly
what is happening inside your Ruby, Python, PHP, Java, and .NET app
Try New Relic at no cost today and get our sweet Data Nerd shirt too!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/newrelic-dev2dev
_______________________________________________
Davical-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/davical-general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Groups, calendars, users

Vincent Van Houtte
Op donderdag 11-10-2012 om 18:20 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Narcis
Garcia - GiLUG:
> Ok, I see now that a "Principal" is equal to any "Object" (Group,
> Resource or User).

AFAIK, that is correct.

> I suppose a Resource is a calendar, but it has collections and they seem
> to be calendars also (addressbooks apart).

No, a 'resource' is a principal that does not need permissions, f.e. a
'conference room'. Several users van book that conference room
(/resource) with the calendar for that resource, but the resource itself
will never access any calendar.

> I've seen now that in every object and collection can be defined
> detailed permissions for users and for groups. That's right for my purpose.

Yes - once you get the hang of it, it is very straightforward. The wiki
is a great help and contains lots of information that is not visible
from the frontpage - a search reveals a lot.

> Now I need to know if different users share a single calendar
> (collection), how can they see which user has created each event?

I guess this is information that is not deemed necessary in clients like
evolution and iOS - but that data should be accessible somewhere, even
though you might have to script it yourself.

--

Met vriendelijke groet,
Vincent Van Houtte
--
Advocatenkantoor Suy, Van Baeveghem & Van Houtte
Brusselsestraat 108
9200 DENDERMONDE
T 052520605
T 052779005
F 052520646
W www.synergylaw.be


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't let slow site performance ruin your business. Deploy New Relic APM
Deploy New Relic app performance management and know exactly
what is happening inside your Ruby, Python, PHP, Java, and .NET app
Try New Relic at no cost today and get our sweet Data Nerd shirt too!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/newrelic-dev2dev
_______________________________________________
Davical-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/davical-general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Groups, calendars, users

Narcis Garcia - GiLUG
In reply to this post by Narcis Garcia - GiLUG
May be because of my poor english understanding, but I need to kow
certainly the meaning of each concept and the relation between them:

- Resource (a type of principal?)
- Principal (a type of resource?)
- Collection (an URL folder?)

In the wiki I feel that the word "resource" is used as a kind of object,
and also as an auxiliar word like "object" or "thing".

I suppose that "user" and "group" are the same concepts as in an
Operating System, right?

After all of this, I don't have clear if a calendar can be created as a
single object, and after I can create users/groups without own calendars
(only to give accesses to the single calendar).

http://wiki.davical.org/w/DAV/Resourcetypes

And... the property "Public" of an object should give anonymous access
to it, or not?


Al 11/10/12 18:47, En/na Vincent Van Houtte ha escrit:

> Op donderdag 11-10-2012 om 18:20 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Narcis
> Garcia - GiLUG:
>> Ok, I see now that a "Principal" is equal to any "Object" (Group,
>> Resource or User).
>
> AFAIK, that is correct.
>
>> I suppose a Resource is a calendar, but it has collections and they seem
>> to be calendars also (addressbooks apart).
>
> No, a 'resource' is a principal that does not need permissions, f.e. a
> 'conference room'. Several users van book that conference room
> (/resource) with the calendar for that resource, but the resource itself
> will never access any calendar.
>
>> I've seen now that in every object and collection can be defined
>> detailed permissions for users and for groups. That's right for my purpose.
>
> Yes - once you get the hang of it, it is very straightforward. The wiki
> is a great help and contains lots of information that is not visible
> from the frontpage - a search reveals a lot.
>
>> Now I need to know if different users share a single calendar
>> (collection), how can they see which user has created each event?
>
> I guess this is information that is not deemed necessary in clients like
> evolution and iOS - but that data should be accessible somewhere, even
> though you might have to script it yourself.
>

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Don't let slow site performance ruin your business. Deploy New Relic APM
Deploy New Relic app performance management and know exactly
what is happening inside your Ruby, Python, PHP, Java, and .NET app
Try New Relic at no cost today and get our sweet Data Nerd shirt too!
http://p.sf.net/sfu/newrelic-dev2dev
_______________________________________________
Davical-general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/davical-general