Release 0.9.9.4 now available

Andrew McMillan
Hi Everyone,

DAViCal 0.9.9.4 is now available, along with AWL 0.46.

This is a recommended upgrade with a focus on stability and reliability.

Release notes are on the wiki at:

        http://wiki.davical.org/w/Release_Notes/0.9.9.4

Most of the changes are subtle: fixes to small bugs or adjustments to
correctness in respect to standards.  In particular there were some
errors in handling of various requests for addressbook data, and the
support for WebDAV synchronisation is updated to draft -04 of the
specification.

One notable addition is the /feed.php/username/calendar/ URL which will
provide an Atom feed of the events added to a calendar.  This is pretty
experimental at present, but any problems with it won't affect the rest
of DAViCal.

I've also created an 'announce' mailing list which in the future will be
the primary place that notifications like this are sent to, so those of
you who are subscribed here but really only want to see announcements
should subscribe to that list at:

In a few weeks time (well, when I remember, I guess :-) I want to move
the DAViCal General list to a lists.davical.org mailing list.  As of
today I've moved the DAViCal developers mailing list there already
(pretty easy since it did not involve moving servers) but the old
address for that will continue to work indefinitely.

The URL for the development list is now:

At the end of January I will be presenting about Calendaring and Free
Software at Linux.Conf.AU 2011 in Brisbane (see http://linux.conf.au/ )
and if any of you are going to be there please come and introduce
yourselves to me.

Cheers,
                                        Andrew McMillan.

http://andrew.mcmillan.net.nz/                     Porirua, New Zealand
Twitter: _karora                                  Phone: +64(272)DEBIAN
          Where there is much light there is also much shadow.
                               -- Goethe

Re: [DAViCal-general] Release 0.9.9.4 now available

Hauke Fath
At 18:58 Uhr +1300 29.12.2010, Andrew McMillan wrote:
>DAViCal 0.9.9.4 is now available, along with AWL 0.46.

Thanks.  :)

I noticed, though, that building 0.9.9.4 creates a little fork bomb in
scripts/po/extract.pl line 53, requiring ~1000 processes here.

Could the script maybe do, whatever it is doing, more sequenctially?

        hauke

--
     The ASCII Ribbon Campaign                    Hauke Fath
()     No HTML/RTF in email            Institut für Nachrichtentechnik

On Tue, 2011-01-04 at 18:00 +0100, Hauke Fath wrote:
> At 18:58 Uhr +1300 29.12.2010, Andrew McMillan wrote:
> >DAViCal 0.9.9.4 is now available, along with AWL 0.46.
>
> Thanks.  :)
>
> I noticed, though, that building 0.9.9.4 creates a little fork bomb in
> scripts/po/extract.pl line 53, requiring ~1000 processes here.
>
> Could the script maybe do, whatever it is doing, more sequentially?

Wow, yeah.  I've never noticed that here when I build it, but that code
appears to be shelling out from perl to run a PHP command line in order
for PHP to parse a string.

I stole that particular code from the Horde project, but I would think
there would *have* to be a better way to do it...  It's been in DAViCal
since forever.

Cheers,
                                                Andrew.

     Building more free and open source software for New Zealanders

Re: [DAViCal-general] Release 0.9.9.4 now available

Matthias Fechner
Hi Andrew,

On 29.12.10 06:58, Andrew McMillan wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> DAViCal 0.9.9.4 is now available, along with AWL 0.46.

thanks for the new update. I updated the packages for FreeBSD to the new
version and send the updates to the maintainer that they are updated in
the FreeBSD ports.

I installed the new version and upgrade the database with the script.
On my iCal now my privat calendar has no entries in. The second calendar
I have on this account shows fine in iCal.
If I download the ical file from the admin interface it looks fine, all
entries are in there.

If I create a new entry with iCal, it is saved and appears on my iPhone.
If I remove the test entry from my iPhone it also disappears in iCal.
(so in principle it works fine)

It seems that iCal has a problem with old calender entries which were
made before I did the upgrade.
I have the following calendars (collections in place:
ID      Path
3     /idefix/.in/ (don't know what the is)
4     /idefix/85CAA941-3A7F-4FE8-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx/ (privat)
5     /idefix/DD15544B-6C6F-4C5C-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx/ (second)
539     /idefix/xxxxxxxxx/ (for addresses)

Are there any know issues or do you have an idea what can cause the problem?

(I upgraded from version 0.9.9.3)

Thanks,
Matthias

Rich Cook

On Wed, 2011-01-26 at 16:56 +0100, Matthias Fechner wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> On 29.12.10 06:58, Andrew McMillan wrote:
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > DAViCal 0.9.9.4 is now available, along with AWL 0.46.
>
> thanks for the new update. I updated the packages for FreeBSD to the new
> version and send the updates to the maintainer that they are updated in
> the FreeBSD ports.
>
> I installed the new version and upgrade the database with the script.
> On my iCal now my privat calendar has no entries in. The second calendar
> I have on this account shows fine in iCal.
> If I download the ical file from the admin interface it looks fine, all
> entries are in there.
>
> If I create a new entry with iCal, it is saved and appears on my iPhone.
> If I remove the test entry from my iPhone it also disappears in iCal.
> (so in principle it works fine)
>
> It seems that iCal has a problem with old calender entries which were
> made before I did the upgrade.
> I have the following calendars (collections in place:
> ID      Path
> 3     /idefix/.in/ (don't know what the is)
> 4     /idefix/85CAA941-3A7F-4FE8-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx/ (privat)
> 5     /idefix/DD15544B-6C6F-4C5C-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx/ (second)
> 539     /idefix/xxxxxxxxx/ (for addresses)
>
> Are there any know issues or do you have an idea what can cause the problem?
No, I don't know.  Does it resolve it if you remove the CalDAV account
in iCal and then recreate it?

The /.in/ collection is the scheduling inbox.  You should generally
ignore it.

Cheers,
                                        Andrew.

                     Time and tide wait for no man.

On 28.01.11 13:17, Andrew McMillan wrote:
> No, I don't know.  Does it resolve it if you remove the CalDAV account
> in iCal and then recreate it?

no, that is the first think I tried.

I downloaded the ical file now manually and extracted you an entry that
is shown in iCal and one the is not shown, maybe that helps.
Shown:
BEGIN:VEVENT
CREATED:20110122T222431Z
LAST-MODIFIED:20110122T222451Z
DTSTAMP:20110122T222451Z
UID:6c3f965f-0ad2-4ba7-a8ce-a0607593a1da
SUMMARY:Geburtstagsfeier
DTSTART;TZID=Europe/Berlin:20110122T190000
DTEND;TZID=Europe/Berlin:20110122T230000
LOCATION:Dachau
END:VEVENT

Not shown:
BEGIN:VEVENT
CREATED:20110118T090103Z
UID:F3F5E3F7-3A49-4650-B598-87C13C048D68
DTEND;TZID=Europe/Berlin:20110121T230000
TRANSP:OPAQUE
SUMMARY:Essen Ohayou
DTSTART;TZID=Europe/Berlin:20110121T190000
DTSTAMP:20110118T090117Z
SEQUENCE:4
END:VEVENT

Maybe a problem in which order the lines are transfered to iCal?

Bye,
Matthias

Rich Cook

On Fri, 2011-01-28 at 15:18 +0100, Matthias Fechner wrote:

> On 28.01.11 13:17, Andrew McMillan wrote:
> > No, I don't know.  Does it resolve it if you remove the CalDAV account
> > in iCal and then recreate it?
>
> no, that is the first think I tried.
>
> I downloaded the ical file now manually and extracted you an entry that
> is shown in iCal and one the is not shown, maybe that helps.
> Shown:
> BEGIN:VEVENT
> CREATED:20110122T222431Z
> LAST-MODIFIED:20110122T222451Z
> DTSTAMP:20110122T222451Z
> UID:6c3f965f-0ad2-4ba7-a8ce-a0607593a1da
> SUMMARY:Geburtstagsfeier
> DTSTART;TZID=Europe/Berlin:20110122T190000
> DTEND;TZID=Europe/Berlin:20110122T230000
> LOCATION:Dachau
> END:VEVENT
>
> Not shown:
> BEGIN:VEVENT
> CREATED:20110118T090103Z
> UID:F3F5E3F7-3A49-4650-B598-87C13C048D68
> DTEND;TZID=Europe/Berlin:20110121T230000
> TRANSP:OPAQUE
> SUMMARY:Essen Ohayou
> DTSTART;TZID=Europe/Berlin:20110121T190000
> DTSTAMP:20110118T090117Z
> SEQUENCE:4
> END:VEVENT
>
> Maybe a problem in which order the lines are transfered to iCal?
I don't think so.

I think what is likely happening is not visible here, but in the
inidvidual caldav data records in DAViCal I suspect you will find that
the VTIMEZONE components have \n line terminations, and the VEVENT
components have \r\n line terminations.  Or vice-versa.

That is a problem that I have recently added a workaround for, so you
could pull the iCalendar.php and vComponent.php from the AWL git
repository here:

http://repo.or.cz/w/awl.git/tree/HEAD:/inc

and see if that solves your problem.

I might see one of the iCal developers next week, so maybe I'll be able
to ask about this.  The workaround I have added is a bit more brutal
than I'd like, but it does solve this particular issue with mixed
line-endings.  Other CalDAV clients don't seem to care what sort of line
endings are used, and the specification recommends not being pedantic on
what may be received.

Regards,
                                        Andrew.
   Why is it taking so long for her to bring out all the good in you?

Re: [DAViCal-general] Release 0.9.9.4 now available

Matthias Fechner
Dear Andrew,

On 01.02.11 13:00, Andrew McMillan wrote:

> I think what is likely happening is not visible here, but in the
> inidvidual caldav data records in DAViCal I suspect you will find that
> the VTIMEZONE components have \n line terminations, and the VEVENT
> components have \r\n line terminations.  Or vice-versa.
>
> That is a problem that I have recently added a workaround for, so you
> could pull the iCalendar.php and vComponent.php from the AWL git
> repository here:
>
> http://repo.or.cz/w/awl.git/tree/HEAD:/inc

thanks a lot. I replaced the two files now with the new version, killed
the calendar account in iCal and added the server again, now all entries
appear again.

Bye
Matthias

Rich Cook