auto-accept events into conference room calendars

auto-accept events into conference room calendars

Zach Williams
Hi,

We have implemented shared calendars using Davical at our company and are using Mozilla Thunderbird + the Lightning add-on as our desktop client. Sharing user calendars works great, but we are having trouble with functionality to schedule conference rooms.

The desired functionality is:

(1) Users should be able to create an event on their own calendar, and invite a conference room like any other user. This is so they can see the room's availability as they schedule the event.

(2) Have the conference room calendar updated automatically when the event invitation is sent out. One might say we want the conference room to auto-accept (not sure yet what would happen if the room is taken)

We have been able to implement the first item by creating conference room calendars as a resource and see their free/busy times. However, we have not been able to find a way to make conference room calendars auto-accept.

Is there a standard or common way of implementing conference rooms using Davical?

Thanks

--
Zachary M. Williams
Web Developer

Re: auto-accept events into conference room calendars

Andrew McMillan
On Wed, 2010-04-07 at 12:42 -0400, Zach Williams wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have implemented shared calendars using Davical at our company and
> are using Mozilla Thunderbird + the Lightning add-on as our desktop
> client. Sharing user calendars works great, but we are having trouble
> with functionality to schedule conference rooms.
>
> The desired functionality is:
>
> (1) Users should be able to create an event on their own calendar, and
> invite a conference room like any other user. This is so they can see
> the room's availability as they schedule the event.
>
> (2) Have the conference room calendar updated automatically when the
> event invitation is sent out. One might say we want the conference
> room to auto-accept (not sure yet what would happen if the room is
> taken)
>
> We have been able to implement the first item by creating conference
> room calendars as a resource and see their free/busy times. However,
> we have not been able to find a way to make conference room calendars
> auto-accept.
>
> Is there a standard or common way of implementing conference rooms
> using Davical?
Hi Zach,

This kind of functionality is intended to be provided via the scheduling
extensions for CalDAV.  The specification for that is currently in
draft, although DAViCal HEAD implements substantial parts of that now,
which will be in 0.9.9 when I get around to releasing it (Real Soon
Now :-).

Unfortunately Lightning does not yet implement much of that draft yet,
and they seem to need some help on the project.

At present I believe the 'best' way to achieve this is to either have
the invites go to someone via e-mail, or simply let each person write
events directly into the meeting room calendar.

Cheers,
                                        Andrew.

          You will be called upon to help a friend in trouble.

Re: auto-accept events into conference room calendars

brice01
Hello Andrew,

Is this functionnality available today ?
I have version 0.9.9.3.

Thanks