newbie question

Ian Miller-2
I have just configured the application on a centOS 5 system.  I received an error about not being able to connect to the database and found I had not configured the /etc/davical/hostname-conf.php file.  After doing so and restarting apache the website is now blank with no error.  Could some point me in the right direction to troubleshoot this one.  I am a little rusty on my linux so please bear with me.
thanks for any  help in advanced.
-m

Re: newbie question

Bruno Friedmann-2
On 04/14/2010 07:57 PM, Ian Miller wrote:

> I have just configured the application on a centOS 5 system.  I received an error about not being able to connect to the database and found I had not configured the /etc/davical/hostname-conf.php file.  After doing so and restarting apache the website is now blank with no error.  Could some point me in the right direction to troubleshoot this one.  I am a little rusty on my linux so please bear with me.
> thanks for any  help in advanced.
> -m

quick check :
Just verify you doesn't have nothing after the closing php tag ?> you could even shoot it (normally new version doesn't have it )

try to launch the index.php with the cli interface so you should have more errors shown, and check apache log ( especially the
error_log )

--

     Bruno Friedmann

Re: newbie question

Ian Miller-2
Thanks for the help
It turned out to be a php.ini config error
Know I am trying to run the create-database.sh file and it will not let me authenticate the DB (postgres 8.4).  It keeps asking for a password which it will not take.  I'm logged in as the postgres user and the rights on the file are set to global execution.  The
The DB is listening on port 5432 and my firewall is off.  The DB is local to the system the software is installed on.  I believe I've configured the DB correctly.

-m

> Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 21:01:58 +0200
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [DAViCal-general] newbie question
>
> On 04/14/2010 07:57 PM, Ian Miller wrote:
> >
> > I have just configured the application on a centOS 5 system. I received an error about not being able to connect to the database and found I had not configured the /etc/davical/hostname-conf.php file. After doing so and restarting apache the website is now blank with no error. Could some point me in the right direction to troubleshoot this one. I am a little rusty on my linux so please bear with me.
> > thanks for any help in advanced.
> > -m
> >

> quick check :
> Just verify you doesn't have nothing after the closing php tag ?> you could even shoot it (normally new version doesn't have it )
>
> try to launch the index.php with the cli interface so you should have more errors shown, and check apache log ( especially the
> error_log )
>

> --
>
> Bruno Friedmann

Re: newbie question

Michael Rasmussen
On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 15:29:19 -0500
Ian Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the help
> It turned out to be a php.ini config error
> Know I am trying to run the create-database.sh file and it will not let me authenticate the DB (postgres 8.4).  It keeps asking for a password which it will not take.  I'm logged in as the postgres user and the rights on the file are set to global execution.  The
> The DB is listening on port 5432 and my firewall is off.  The DB is local to the system the software is installed on.  I believe I've configured the DB correctly.

1) Create this file with proper contents
/etc/davical/administration.yml
##
## The database username for connecting with sufficient rights to create
## tables, functions and granting access to other users.
admin_db_user: davical_dba

##
## The password.  Leading and trailling spaces are stripped, so don't
## do that
admin_db_pass: big_secret

##
## The hostname/IP.  Not needed if using unix sockets to a local server.
#admin_db_host: 2401:170:20:17::1024:0
#admin_db_host: 172.17.217.2
#admin_db_host: foo.bar.tld

##
## The database name
admin_db_name: davical

##
## The database port.  Not needed if it is the default '5432'
#admin_db_port: 5432

##
## The name of the database user the web application uses to connect
app_db_user: davical_app

2) cd /usr/share/davical/dba
3) sudo ./create-database.sh

--
Hilsen/Regards
Michael Rasmussen

Get my public GnuPG keys:
michael <at> rasmussen <dot> cc
mir <at> datanom <dot> net
mir <at> miras <dot> org
Write clearly - don't sacrifice clarity for "efficiency".
            - The Elements of Programming Style (Kernighan & Plaugher)

Re: newbie question

Ian Miller-2
Still no go

-bash-3.2$ id
uid=26(postgres) gid=26(postgres) groups=26(postgres) context=user_u:system_r:unconfined_t
-bash-3.2$ sudo ./create-database.sh
Password:
psql: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "root"
Password:

Where is it getting user root from ?

-m

> Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 22:42:59 +0200
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [DAViCal-general] newbie question
>
> On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 15:29:19 -0500
> Ian Miller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > Thanks for the help
> > It turned out to be a php.ini config error
> > Know I am trying to run the create-database.sh file and it will not let me authenticate the DB (postgres 8.4). It keeps asking for a password which it will not take. I'm logged in as the postgres user and the rights on the file are set to global execution. The
> > The DB is listening on port 5432 and my firewall is off. The DB is local to the system the software is installed on. I believe I've configured the DB correctly.
> >
> 1) Create this file with proper contents
> /etc/davical/administration.yml
> ##
> ## The database username for connecting with sufficient rights to create
> ## tables, functions and granting access to other users.
> admin_db_user: davical_dba
>
> ##
> ## The password. Leading and trailling spaces are stripped, so don't
> ## do that
> admin_db_pass: big_secret
>
> ##
> ## The hostname/IP. Not needed if using unix sockets to a local server.
> #admin_db_host: 2401:170:20:17::1024:0
> #admin_db_host: 172.17.217.2
> #admin_db_host: foo.bar.tld
>
> ##
> ## The database name
> admin_db_name: davical
>
> ##
> ## The database port. Not needed if it is the default '5432'
> #admin_db_port: 5432
>
> ##
> ## The name of the database user the web application uses to connect
> app_db_user: davical_app
>
> 2) cd /usr/share/davical/dba
> 3) sudo ./create-database.sh
>

> --
> Hilsen/Regards
> Michael Rasmussen
>
> Get my public GnuPG keys:
> michael <at> rasmussen <dot> cc
> http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xD3C9A00E
> mir <at> datanom <dot> net
> http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE501F51C
> mir <at> miras <dot> org
> http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE3E80917
> Write clearly - don't sacrifice clarity for "efficiency".
> - The Elements of Programming Style (Kernighan & Plaugher)

kmv

Re: newbie question

kmv
-bash-3.2$ id
uid=26(postgres) gid=26(postgres) groups=26(postgres) context=user_u:system_r:unconfined_t
-bash-3.2$ sudo ./create-database.sh
Password:
psql: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "root"
Password:

Where is it getting user root from ?

It is getting it from 'sudo'.  Given what you showed via 'id' you are obviously already the postgres user, so you probably don't need the sudo.

As it happens I run CentOS with a similar setup, my root user does not (by default) have admin on postgres, the postgres user does - and you can't log in as postgres.  So in my setup I would do the following:
  su -
  cd cd /usr/share/davical/dba
  su postgres
  ./create-database.sh

Regards,
Keith.

Re: newbie question

On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 12:57 -0500, Ian Miller wrote:
> I have just configured the application on a centOS 5 system.  I
> received an error about not being able to connect to the database and
> found I had not configured the /etc/davical/hostname-conf.php file.
> After doing so and restarting apache the website is now blank with no
> error.  Could some point me in the right direction to troubleshoot
> this one.  I am a little rusty on my linux so please bear with me.
> thanks for any  help in advanced.

Hi Ian,

Getting a completely blank page at that point is going to indicate some
kind of syntax error in your configuration.

The configuration file is PHP code, so lines need to end with ; and
strings need to be enclosed in " or ', brackets need to match, and so
forth.

Cheers,
                                        Andrew.

           You would if you could but you can't so you won't.